PDA

View Full Version : Montana 3900FB

EarlJr
01-06-2013, 07:00 PM
Am considering trading up to the Montana 3900FB; anyone want to share their thoughts, experiences, views, etc?

CWtheMan
01-06-2013, 09:15 PM
The Montana has reached the pinnacle of the Keystone 5th wheel line-up. As such, it has continuously increased in weight and length.

The 3900FB has a GVWR of 15,930# which will surely require a minimum truck size of one ton with dual rear wheels. Diesel power highly recommended.

It has an attractive floor plan for either full time use or extended weekend camping with the family. The forward washer/dryer - if installed - will surely add a couple of hundred pounds to the pin weight. A second air conditioner will most likely put the pin weight well over 3000#.

The 3900FB will have a GAWR of 6750# per axle. Ask for/demand a tire rim upgrade to the LT235/85R16G (minimum!). Insure it is done before signing the final paper work. You will not be able to negotiate much of anything once you sign the papers.

Physically inspect anything listed as pre-wired. Keystone is famous for putting in the hardware and forgetting the wiring, especially with pre-wired air conditioner positions.

You may want to get a meter and check conductivity on all pre-installed TV cables.

Very nice unit. Good luck with it.

CW

PerryB
01-07-2013, 07:26 PM
What I'm going to say is strictly my OPINION, I'm not bashing but... My wife and I are looking at new high end trailers and the 3900FB caught my eye due to its unique floorplan. We have also been looking at the 3750FL for the same reason (you can't get much more bi-polar than that). As interesting as it is, the 3900 burns up a LOT of real estate with that gargantuan bathroom. I'd rather have a more modest bathroom and a bigger living area and/or bedroom. Now on to my biggest gripe, furniture quality. I'm on my fourth 5th wheel now so this isn't my first rodeo, and I've never seen such poorly built,uncomfortable furniture in a unit with a $90K sticker. The sofas almost fall apart when you plop down in them and the recliners are hard and don't rock. As the Queen would say, "We are not amused". My next 5er WONT be a Keystone product. I'm looking at Redwoods now. They're a lot of money, but I'd rather spend 110-120 and get real quality than spend 90 on a name that's a shadow of its former self. Yeah I know, here it comes!

JRTJH
01-07-2013, 08:32 PM
PerryB, Talk to Geo. He just went through much of what you're experiencing. Maybe from a different perspective, but many of the same issues.

I'm not in anywhere near the size RV you're looking at, but from the time we started in a VW camper and graduated to something with "indoor plumbing" (a truck camper) I've always been inclined to think that the most space should be where you use it the most. That would make the living/kitchen area the biggest, the bedroom next and the bathroom, where less than an hour a day is spent by all residents combined (my experience only) to put a lot of square footage there just limits what can be better used in the "living or sleeping spaces"

It amazes me what RV's cost nowdays. Trying to buy quality and stay on a budget just doesn't seem possible. But then, not too many years ago, full size Fords and Chevys were selling for $2500 (with air conditioning) LOL

Festus2
01-07-2013, 08:34 PM
PerryB -
Let me be the first in line but I have to agree with what you are saying about the furniture. We don't have a high-end unit and aren't looking for one but the some of furniture in our '08 Cougar 278RKS leaves a lot to be desired, even for a mid-sized, mid-line 5th wheel.

The mattress, while not really furniture, cannot be called a real mattress and has been replaced - like many others have done. The sofa/bed is satisfactory to sit on but for sleeping -----only good for company that you don't want to stay longer than one day. The single swivel rocker has been replaced. The kitchen table and chairs are the best of the bunch. We weren't looking for or expecting top-of-the-line furniture in this unit but are disappointed with the quality.

If I were to fork out $90K+ for a Keystone product, I would expect top quality in the furnishings - not the same stuff they throw in the $25K models. I must admit that I have never been in one of Keystone's premier models so I am going out on limb here and guessing that there isn't a whole lot of difference. Obviously, you are not impressed and I am not surprised.

PerryB
01-07-2013, 10:04 PM
Festus, I don't know what it is about mattresses, but I don't think I've ever seen a decent one installed in a trailer. Our last two rigs got Sealy PosturePedics installed before the first outings. Do you have a conventional hide-a-bed or an airbed sofa? Our current trailer has the airbed sofa and its nice. I've had two with the standard hide-a-bed and never could quite get my shoulder blades to conform to that bar running between them.
JRTJH, I too am aghast at what new RV's cost today, and how much they've escalated in the last 3 or 4 years alone. A nice, high-end 5er today costs half as much as I bought my house for 15 years ago. Obviously I don't fully understand the dynamics of the market, because even at the crazy prices these units are bringing, the manufacturers are barely staying afloat and most of the dedicated high end builders are now defunct.

wmcclay
01-10-2013, 07:38 AM
Most of the management team that made Montata #1 has left for another rv startup by Forest river. I have owned two Montanas they are nice units. However they have been #1 so long, they have become complacement. I just bought a 2013 fiver 39 foot, the thought and innovation in this trailer sets it apart from Montana. I am not saying to not buy or buy any brand, buy what fits your life style and your pocketbook.

Wayne

mhs4771
01-10-2013, 08:00 AM
While not in the market (new RW last April). I still try and keep tabs on new floor plans. While at the Daytona Rally we checked out the 3900, yes the bathroom is huge, but as has been mentioned you generally don't live in the bathroom, and the 1/2 bath in the kitchen corner takes away space there that could better be used for a pantry. We traded in a 2955RL Montana and had done upgrades to it to make it more liveable, new chairs, sleep number mattress, and if we had kept it would have upgraded the air mattress sofa.

geo
01-10-2013, 09:29 AM
PerryB -

JRTJH is correct . . . sounds like we have roughly parallel issues. I believe that Keystone has changed furniture suppliers since we bought our Alpine. We had only used our Alpine a few times before I looked down at the Flair Industries sleeper sofa and saw the seam pulling out all along the piping - exposing the highly uncomfortable foam block seat cushion. An upholstery repair place almost laughed when we asked them to repair the seat cushion. Eventually we donated the sofa and purchased a very nice FlexSteel sleeper sofa from Bradd and Hall. Now that we have traded our Alpine, we kept the FlexSteel sofa to use in our next fiver.

You are correct, the full range of RVs cost more now, but "inflation happens". And yes, the high-end RVs cost some 3 times what I paid for my first house in Lafayette, LA some many years ago. But that house is also valued at over 3 times what I paid for it, I would assume. But I would say that I will be "more comfortable" with our new fiver when it arrives as we visited the factory and saw how it was assembled. All those days of exploring the underbelly of the Alpine certainly have paid off!

Ron

Ron

azlee56
01-10-2013, 10:37 AM
The only thing I have run into with our 3500Rl montana is that is is really longer then they state. Ours being more inline of 38ft long. Parking in some places is really a pain, lots of places barely have many lots to put one that size in. I feel sorry for people with longer ones. My BF is a great backer but sometimes he wishes we had a smaller one, but then I would have to trade the free breathing for the feeling I was in a cave.

grayghost03
01-16-2013, 07:10 PM
No cabinet space in kitchen, very little pantry space. Gave up to much storage for bottom half bath. Love the other front bath, wish they had made the change while keeping kitchen and living room the same. Dump the desk in the draw that block the TV if you are using the desk, another dumb Idea. JMHO

SAD
01-17-2013, 04:29 AM
You guys made me curious and had to go check out this 3900 FB floorplan.

Disclaimer.... Floorplans are totally a thing of personal preference... One man's opinion is not meant to belittle another's opinion. It'll all about how you utilize your unit and whatever suits your needs..

With that said, I tend to agree with the comments about the huge bath being a waste. I'm no movie star and neither is my wife. Double vanities and all that space simply aren't necessary for the type of 'camping' we do.

I agree with the assessment that space should be used in this priority: first on living, then on bedroom, and lastly on bath - Finding the best combination/compromise that suits our needs.

To even further this... We looked at both the Alpine 3500RE and the Avalanche 330RE when we got ours.. Although the Alpine have a few nicer features (not much in our opinion), we picked the Avalanche instead. Same floor plan-ish.... But the larger bath look a bit more space out of the bedroom than we liked... Combine that with the double-door fridge (unnecessary for us) shifting the layout of the kitchen just about 1' to 18" or so - taking space from the living area... We decided on the "not as nice" Avalanche for our preference of the "RE" floor plan.

EarlJr
01-21-2013, 05:05 PM
Thanx all for your comments; I will *definitely* take them into consideration before I make a move!

SAABDOCTOR
01-22-2013, 10:19 AM
NEXT thing will be a slide in the bathroom and make it a two potty unit:eek:I have a 3750fl and no way will I trade to the 3900.

NOVA 3108RE Owner
07-15-2013, 10:48 AM
FWIW we looked at the 3900 FB and loved it. It fits well with our family size and needs. However it is a big trailer to tow. I am thinking I would need an F350 DRW Diesel or equivalent to tow it. Thoughts on this?

Festus2
07-15-2013, 11:39 AM
NOVA 3108RE -

Try posting your question about a tow vehicle for the 3900FB in the Tow Vehicle section of the forum. You may get a better response there since it is a question related to TV. This category is designed for posts related to 5th wheels. Thanks.

SAABDOCTOR
07-15-2013, 12:36 PM
TO ANSWER THE QUESTION YES YOU REALLY WILL NEED A DUALLY"bouncey:

sdetweil
09-01-2013, 08:30 PM
we have a 350 DRW, and fell in love with the 3900 (traveling with animals, just where DO you put that litter box? 1/2 bath!) . went to look again, (as we are picking it up 1300 miles away for $10k less) at a different dealer .
He showed us the Keystone Alpine 3720FB.. Same layout with three important (to us) changes.

1. they moved the fridge to the other end of the kitchen. this allowed a counter and cabinet on the wall of the 1/2 bath.. and lots of other cabinet space in the kitchen.
2. they deleted one sink in the full bath, and provided a floor to ceiling cabinet, with the washer prep. so IF we want a washer/dryer we don't have to use the combo, AND not lose any closet space.
3. there is another cabinet on the front wall in the master bedroom.

things you might lose
1. can't open the fridge without moving a slide.
2. the little shelves next to the bed
3. the behind the toilet cabinet in the 1/2 bath
4. the under the sink storage in the 1/2 bath.

neither has a window or fan in the 1/2 bath.. (really?!, seriously?!)

weighs 15,500 at max.