PDA

View Full Version : Skidaway Island State Park Savannah, GA

justlkn
01-06-2013, 11:28 AM
Headed to Skidaway Island State Park in Savannah, GA for a quick 3 day spur of the moment getaway. Believe it or not I have never been to Savannah and was looking for suggestions on sites and restaurants and the like. Also wondered if anyone has been to that campground and if so what were their thoughts on the park.

Thanks!

Glenn and Tami

SteveC7010
01-06-2013, 11:43 AM
Give yourself plenty of time to explore the River Walk. Have lunch or dinner at Tubby's Tank House while down there.

Last time we were there was a one night stop over on the way to Florida. We went to Tubby's for dinner and were absolutely delighted to find out that the Savannah Seafood Festival was in full swing. River Walk was full of vendors and entertainment. They'd set up a band stand right in front of Tubby's and we had dinner on their 2nd floor outdoor balcony to the sounds of a great local rock band.

Georgia Rambler
01-06-2013, 12:16 PM
I have never been to that campground, but I have been all over Savannah. It all depends on what you are looking for, if you want good seafood and a fun atmosphere go to the crab shack on the way to Tybee island. Its also really neat to go to the Lighthouse there also. If you have any specific questions feel free to message me!

Georgia Rambler
01-06-2013, 01:24 PM
Also Wild Wings in downtown has some great wings.

antiqfreq
01-06-2013, 02:41 PM
I would recommend going to the Welcome Center. They have brochures and lots of nice people to give you information.

We love skidaway park, been there a few times.

Also, eating at Tubby's and touring ALL the beautiful homes on the squares.

You might consider using the trolley system, that you pick up at the welcome center to get around town. You pay one price and get on and off all day at your leisure and takes you right back to the Welcome Center where you leave your car at.

Jo

:D

justlkn
01-07-2013, 02:00 PM
Thank everyone for the suggestions. Especially going to the Welcome center and taking the train. Trying to park the fat behind of a dually we have would have been a task! 5vr is all pre flighted and ready to go!

(tx)(tx)(tx)(tx)

justlkn
01-11-2013, 04:06 PM
All set up and ready to have a great time!! 23052306

jqp_ptc
01-31-2013, 04:02 PM
Over the Christmas break with the kids, we spent a week at Skidaway Island and then a week right down the road at Fort McAllister state park.

As far as State Parks go, I personally enjoyed Fort McAllister more.

Skidaway has some pretty tight spots in the campground to worry about if you have a big rig. There is a nice mom and pop grocery very close, which is nice.

Fort McAllister had really nice hiking trails, some sites are right on the marsh with awesome views, and is still close (10 minutes) to grocery stores, etc.

Make sure you check out Fort Pulaski National Monument when you're there. Very cool.

JQP

fla-gypsy
01-31-2013, 07:48 PM
I wasn't thrilled with Skidaway and also thought Ft McCallister was more to my liking. Savannah is a great area to visit, have fun