PDA

View Full Version : Towing Bullet 248RKS with SUV

wsgarvey
01-06-2013, 07:58 AM
We're about to get a Bullet 248RKS. Our intention is to replace our current car with an SUV capable of towing this (leaning to Jeep Grand Cherokee w/ 7200# tow capability). The shipping weight of the Bullet is 4785#.

Are there any issues in towing with an SUV? I mostly see pickups as the tow vehicle. We intend to stay a one vehicle family.

Thanks.

rrohrer
01-06-2013, 08:47 AM
length of trailer makes some suv's not the best for towing. wheelbase on the suv's too short. more issues with sway.

rrohrer
01-06-2013, 08:53 AM
28 feet length? probably could do it, but would be more comfortable tow in a 1500 truck. 4 door truck is great for family. truck comes in handy a lot(camping and not camping). is g.c. better on gas? i kinda doubt it.

zuley
01-06-2013, 09:22 AM
If I may ask which year of Grand Cherokee are you referring to and which engine do you have? We too are planning on towing a 25 foot TT with our 2008 diesel GC which is rated to tow 7200 pounds. After much soul searching and research I determined I was good to go and pulled the trigger on our new unit. We purchased the Elite 23RB and take delivery in May. I would not consider towing out of my driveway without a WDH and sway bars. We ended up purchasing a Centreline hitch from our dealer.
I'm anxious to see what others chime in with in regards to your intentions.

JRTJH
01-06-2013, 09:31 AM
Wheelbase is your limiting factor. This formula has been pretty much the standard for as long as I have been towing:

wheelbase of 110" is OK up to a 20' trailer. Then add 1 foot of trailer for each 4" of wheelbase.

Your wheelbase is 114.8" so that would give you roughly a 21'4" trailer MAX...

The 248RKS is 28'10" long, you'd need a wheelbase of between 142" and 146" (depending on how you measure the trailer) to tow this RV with a stable platform.

The trailer is simply too long to safely tow with a short wheelbase SUV.

My recommendation would be to either find a shorter trailer (21' max) or find a bigger vehicle. The half ton series "6 pack" (properly equipped with tow package) is a very good alternative and with a wheelbase of 145" would be ideal for the 28'10" RV you are looking at.

KJcachers
01-06-2013, 10:37 AM
We tow the 246RBS with a Ram 1500 crew cab that has the complete tow package and the Hemi with the MDS. When not towing the engine shuts down cylinders and I can get almost 25 mpg on the highway. If you haven't bought the GC I would highly recommend you look into this truck. Besides wheelbase issues you also need to consider tongue weight and payload capacity of the GC .because you have the power and torque to pull 7200 lbs doesn't mean you can handle other specifics of the trailer. Also think about stopping power of an SUV versus a truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wsgarvey
01-06-2013, 12:01 PM
We are considering a new 2013 GC or at least a 2011, 2012.

Thanks for all your responses. This may put a hitch in our plans. We really like the 248RKS and were really looking forward to owning a Jeep GC again.

Festus2
01-06-2013, 12:32 PM
wsgarvey -
If you were to consider a TV that would provide you and your family with a more controlled, safer ride and one with a longer wheelbase, I think that would allow you:
a) more flexibility in choosing a TT that meets your wants and needs; and, b) still be a "one vehicle" family. To me, it seems like a win-win situation for you.
The advice that you have been given above should be seriously considered and which will probably require, as you said, some rethinking of your plans if you are taken with the Bullet 248RKS.

davidjsimons
01-06-2013, 12:47 PM
I like the Jeep Grand Cherokee myself, but along with wheelbase concerns, you must consider the dry tongue weight of the TT you want is 500 lbs. the payload capacity of the Jeep Grand Cherokee is around 1150 lbs. once you load your TT for your trip, fueled the Jeep and and get in, that doesn't leave much room for much of anything else. A nice half ton crew cab would serve both needs of comfort and capability. Actually, your rear seat passengers, if you have any, will have more leg room.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rrohrer
01-06-2013, 01:26 PM
for what you'd pay for the g.c. you could have a 1/2 ton crew cab truck and get the camper too!

wgb1
01-06-2013, 02:17 PM
I tow the Bullet 246RBS with a Chevy Silverado 1500 pu with a 5.3 engine. The 246 is very similar to the the TT you are looking at and one we almost purchased instead of the 246. I do not think the Jeep would be a good tow vehicle for that trailer. As a matter of fact, the 246 is all my truck can handle safely. My TT is 27' 10" long and 4660 lbs. My truck would not tow the 246 in mountainous terrain without some serious strain, but since most all my towing is in fairly flat land I have no issues.

SteveC7010
01-06-2013, 02:17 PM
I like the Jeep Grand Cherokee myself, but along with wheelbase concerns, you must consider the dry tongue weight of the TT you want is 500 lbs. the payload capacity of the Jeep Grand Cherokee is around 1150 lbs. once you load your TT for your trip, fueled the Jeep and and get in, that doesn't leave much room for much of anything else. A nice half ton crew cab would serve both needs of comfort and capability. Actually, your rear seat passengers, if you have any, will have more leg room.

David, you've highlighted the biggest single obstacle to towing safely with an SUV. Payload and rear axle capacity are super important as many of us know.

The Bullet 248RKS has a factory rated tongue weight of 545#. That's based on an empty trailer at 4,785#. The trailer is GVWR at 5,500# which means the tongue could well go north of 700# under normal loading conditions. (My '99 Sunline was also GVWR'd at 5,500# and it had a measured tongue weight of 820#.)

I am not finding a rear axle rating for the GC on the net, but I doubt it is more that 4,000# and that's determined by the tires. It could be less. And that is not enough to safely tow the Bullet.

Short wheelbase, limited axle rating, and inadequate payload capacity are probably the biggest reasons to discount the Bullet 248RKS as a practical trailer for the GC.

For the OP, I truly feel your pain over this. Remember that there's also a 2011 GC Overland in our driveway so I know the vehicle well and understand its strengths and weaknesses better than most.

f6bits
01-06-2013, 04:55 PM
I used to pull my trailer with a 2006 GC with the 4.7. Engine was a little sluggish on hills, but the short wheelbase, even with an Equalizer hitch, really bit the big one. Had a total white-knuckle return trip through rain and wind near Palm Springs and made it my goal to replace the Jeep (I loved that thing for *everything* else) with an F150.

Oh, and rear axle weight was maxed out, as was the cargo capacity.

Corbin1357
01-07-2013, 06:57 AM
Like wgb1 I have the 246RBS and a 2005 F150 5.4 w/ Edge Tuner and I'd say that this TT is all my truck can handle safely as well. I wouldn't want to tow it with a GC!

SAABDOCTOR
01-07-2013, 10:06 AM
wsgarvey hi there. you metioned the shipping weight of the tt. onec it gets to your dealer it will never be that lite again! once tha battery and propane tanks are added. plus you still have not put your stuff in it yet. the many voices of experiance have spoken! a swayin suv with over loaded tires and axel and unable to stop should head you in the direction of a bigger truck!. plus if you are married the dw will sooner or later want a bigger trailer! trust me ask me how i know about bigger tarilers:eek:

chartrand
01-07-2013, 12:39 PM
My Dodge Durango has a longer wheel base than the JGC, even though they are built from the same frame. I would not hesitate to pull something with a factory weight of less than 5000 lbs with it. All I'm saying is that you don't have to have a truck to pull a trailer.

rrohrer
01-07-2013, 02:47 PM
the weight of the trailer is only one factor. I towed a 21 foot hybrid trailer with my nissan frontier. That worked even w/o wdh. dry weight 3200. That is type of trailer made for a small truck/suv. got my new truck and was overkill for towing it. Now have the bigger camper and feels like a good combo to me. That being said- I've camped for about 5 yrs. See diesels pulling pop ups and 1/2 tons pulling fifth wheels. everyone's comfort level varies I guess.

wsgarvey
01-07-2013, 03:27 PM
Thanks to all your feedback and collective wisdom. I have abandoned the JGC :( . Have not decided on an alternative yet.

2011 keystone
01-07-2013, 03:32 PM
i dont thnk anyone has ever regreted overkilling there TV. Good luck.

chuck&gail
01-07-2013, 03:52 PM
Our standard length Expedition tows our 27.5' TT just fine using an Equal-i-zer hitch.

Biggest thing is to adjust the WDH properly so your TV rear GAWR isn't exceeded. You will also need to carry most weight in the TT, not the SUV, to avoid overloading GAWR. It WILL take some experimentation to get it correct.

flc
01-07-2013, 06:58 PM
I have a 248rks and would not pull with a SUV. My F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost could easily serve as a family vehicle, and most of the time does. More comfort and roomy interior, excellent fuel mileage when not towing and it pulls the 248rks like a dream, mountains or not.

davidjsimons
01-08-2013, 02:05 AM
i dont thnk anyone has ever regreted overkilling there TV. Good luck.

I tow a Cougar 28 RBS with a Ram 3500 dually with a Cummins. On my recent trip from Richmond to the Keys, I ran in strong crosswinds for about eight hours. I could see the trailer moving all over the place, in the mirror. The truck never moved. You can never have too much truck. Just my opinion with my limited experience. By the way, yes I was using my sway bar. I imagine it would have been worse without it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wsgarvey
01-12-2013, 07:27 AM
We started this radical change in our lives swearing not to end up in a pickup truck ... and yet here we are. And pretty excited about it to boot. We pickup our 248RKS this morning and I feel very confident the Sierra is the right choice to us.

Thanks again to all the contributors here. I believe we have arrived at the right choice for us because of your insights.

Festus2
01-12-2013, 08:48 AM
wsgarvey -
I think you made the right decision and I'm sure that you will be very pleased with your new tow vehicle and how it handles your 248RKS. BTW, we also have a rear kitchen and really like that layout and the additional counter space it provides.