PDA

View Full Version : basement storage and full time living ??s

Dazzlecat
12-30-2012, 10:15 PM
hello,

i have decide i want to buy a used laredo travel trailer (or a fifth wheel) because i love the layout and under storage pass-throughs. is there an big difference between the tt and the fw?

I will be living in it full-time in Texas, and not moving it other then maybe to move from one town to another when i am ready to build my house.

I would like to cut a small hole in the back bedroom (probably under the bed) into the storage basement so my cats can use that as their potty room, and as a cooler area if the air conditioner should go out when i'm not there. are there any problems with this idea - like are there lots of electrical wiring in that area? is it just a single board from one side to the other with no insulation to cut through?

is anyone living full-time in a laredo? I'm looking at the 2005 25RL model. but i like most laredos in that size and that have that similar layout.

and will the place that i buy it from tow it to my site? i don't have a truck or a car nor do i want one.

thank you.

Scottinvt
12-31-2012, 01:14 AM
Fifth wheels have more under storage for sure. Our cougar had a ton of room under the bed area to do what you want to do with the cats. There are also cat and dog ideas on trailer life. Good luck

Outbackmel
12-31-2012, 11:28 AM
There are plenty of trucks and RV owner's who sign up with dealers to provide this service. Almost 100% are independent contractors. Make sure they have adequate equipment to provide the tow for the rv you wind up buying; have proper insurance and most important a signed agreement as to all costs; penalty for delivery delays on their part, etc. YOU are ultimately financially liable and responsible for YOUR rv. Sooooo, protect yourself.

Neighbor wanted to borrow my motorcycle trailer for a trip. Like the guy, BUT, like my peace of mind more. You just cannot envision what MAY happen. If that thing is in YOUR name, you have a potential liability and PLENTY of ambulance chasing low life attorneys willing to take everything you have should something go wrong.

And that's the rest of the story.....have a good day...ya hear! :eek:

x96mnn
01-02-2013, 07:17 AM
There are companies and private drivers who will contract out to move your camper for you. If the unit you purchase was bought from the local area personally I would go to that dealer and have them do the move for me as they often know local seasonal operations and can set them up for you on drop off. Another thing to consider is you will find units for sale at seasonal sites and its worth making the drive though, you may find what your looking for on a lot already set up.

As for the hole for the cats I do not see why it would not work. Be sure not to take out any of the bed frame when you do it. If you plan to leave the cargo light on for them they can get hot so you may want to check on that. If they do a simple AA battery clip fan will fix it.

JRTJH
01-02-2013, 11:19 AM
If you plan to leave the cargo light on for them they can get hot so you may want to check on that. If they do a simple AA battery clip fan will fix it.

Another very easy and cost effective way to eliminate the heat from the light is to replace the bulb with an LED bulb. Not only will that eliminate almost all the heat, it will also save some battery energy/converter heat produced when converting 120VAC to DC. We've had our LED's on for 4 or 5 hours and they are still cool to the touch.