PDA

View Full Version : Rods to hold slide "out"

KenBob
12-24-2012, 05:21 PM
We camp in places where the winds can become very strong. We have had winds be strong enough to force the top of the slide to tip into the RV about 6 inches. Maybe more. Would like to use a support rod to keep the top of the slide from moving in these situations. I know they have them to keep the slides "in" while traveling. Are there rods made to keep the slide "out"?

Merry Christmas! Thanks for ideas.

PerryB
12-25-2012, 02:58 PM
There is no reason you couldn't use 1" wooden dowel rod cut to length with crutch tips installed on the ends. I'm pretty sure you'd have to make these yourself, but they'd be super simple. The obvious thing is you'd have to install/remove them from up on the roof. I was in S.Dakota last June and the winds got so strong one night that the people with slide-topper awnings had to close their slides. Up to this point I was wishing I had them. Now I'm not so sure.

Scottinvt
12-25-2012, 03:29 PM
Camping works also sells adjusting rods for slideouts.

mudmaker
12-28-2012, 05:27 AM
That is the reason we didnt like our slide topper Perry. Now that we have a different camper without them I'm up on the roof sweeping the slide off before we bring them in every time. Kinda makes me wish we had them again. Lol.

Javi
12-28-2012, 05:55 AM
That is the reason we didnt like our slide topper Perry. Now that we have a different camper without them I'm up on the roof sweeping the slide off before we bring them in every time. Kinda makes me wish we had them again. Lol.
I use a cheap leaf blower... and a stepladder.. :D

SAD
12-28-2012, 06:43 AM
Winds strong enough to blow your slides in? What kinds of winds are you talking??

KenBob
12-28-2012, 08:41 PM
Winds strong enough to blow your slides in? What kinds of winds are you talking??

The winds don't blow the slides in, they tip the top of the slides in. The bottoms stay put because of the hardware. We camp at Dumont Dunes in CA. near Las Vegas. Mother nature provides wind to keep the dunes tall and smooth. Winds can get approx 40mph +. Gusting. In all directions. Keeps you inside the RV for a day or two. But the wait is worth it! Cleans the dunes of all the previous users. Kind of like a glass lake for water skiers. Drooling as I type!