PDA

View Full Version : Questions on charging batteries on a 2012 Raptor 300MP.

ToyTLH
12-17-2012, 01:04 PM
:confused: Will the batteries still charge with the O.E.M. red plastic power disconnect key turned to the "off" position and the R.V. is plugged into an 110V service?

How good/smart is the O.E.M. converter/battery charger system or should a person purchase a really good smart charger for when the unit is not in use for several months. It is stored inside and 110V power is available.

My batteries were almost dead the last time I checked it and I have the red key in the "off" position but it was "not" hooked up to 110V. I have read about the small parasitic battery drains and the only way to eliminate them is to leave it plugged in or install true battery disconnects?

Thanks!

hankpage
12-17-2012, 04:13 PM
I have had the standard 3 stage converter/chargers in my last two trailers. (over 17 years) They have always been plugged in with no disconnect. Never had a battery overcharge or cook out. I check the electrolyte levels every three or four months and rarely have added any water. So I guess what I am trying to say is ...... in my opinion ... there is no need for any other type of charger if shore power is available. Only thing is a maintainer/trickle charger may use less electric but the occasional higher charge from the converter may prevent sulfation. JM2¢, Hank

SAABDOCTOR
12-17-2012, 05:01 PM
X2 on what hank said. I too leave mine plugged in all the time w/out any issues:xmas3:

cathcartww
12-17-2012, 05:20 PM
The newer convertor chargers usually incoporate a "smart" charger system, but you should check the manufacturer and model number and check their website or your owners manual to be sure. The main disconnect has to be "on" for the power to get from the convertor to the battery.