PDA

View Full Version : I replaced my Jensen TV

f6bits
12-16-2012, 05:53 PM
I was itching to upgrade to a larger TV, and the Jensen's lack of good off-angle viewing was really bugging me.

My criteria was that I wanted the new TV to still fit in the opening, and be thin enough so it doesn't stick out much. I settled on the Toshiba 24L4200U (http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-24L4200U-24-Inch-1080p-Black/dp/B0077E48IM) 24" LED TV. I found one good used one at Amazon for $150 plus $10 shipping. I then bought some flat metal bars for mounting and the M4 screws for the VESA mount. Thankfully, the Toshiba supports composite video via a menu option to control the RGB inputs. Here's are the results:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/609598/IMG_2174.JPG

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/609598/IMG_2177.JPG

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/609598/IMG_2178.JPG

It's screwed in pretty firmly so it has very little wobble. I left the metal bars extended a bit outside so I could wedge something in there to firm up the mount. At some point, I suspect that I'll be cutting them off just for a better look.

Paddler
12-16-2012, 06:06 PM
Nice job! :)

mobile42
12-17-2012, 11:47 PM
Nice TV reception....................GO COWBOYS!!!"bouncey:

KJcachers
12-18-2012, 06:50 AM
Looks like the crossbars are screwed to the outside of the frame? Still got room to swivel all the way around to the bed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

f6bits
12-18-2012, 07:09 PM
The crossbars are screwed to the rotating frame, but we never rotate the TV toward the bedroom. And now there isn't the clearance to do so.

If we really wanted the ability to watch TV in the bedroom, I would have kept the original Jensen rotated to the bedroom and mounted the Toshiba on the mirror side after removing the mirror.

dalton73
07-22-2013, 12:15 PM
I couldn't help but notice your iPad/iPod dongle in the cabinet in your picture. Is there a way to view videos from your iPad to the Jensen setup? I can currently play music through the Aux connection to my iPhone, but I'd really like to play videos from my ipad for my kids to the TV. Thanks in advance for anyone that can help!

Chris

f6bits
07-22-2013, 12:43 PM
The Jensen has an HDMI port on the back. I ran an HDMI cable from the TV to that cubby and plugged the iPad dongle into it. It worked very well.

dalton73
07-22-2013, 12:52 PM
I was hoping it had one of those, but didn't want to pull it out to find out. Thanks so much for the quick reply!

lazyindenver
01-25-2015, 09:22 AM
I plan on mounting a 32 inch tv. weight 11 pounds +3 pounds for the bracket.
(a total of 14 pounds.)

That should work in the bedroom on the "mounting Bracket" wall don't you think?

2013 248 RKS Bullet.

WaltBennett
01-27-2015, 05:36 AM
We've a Jensen in our bedroom that I was going to replace until I realized it was DC powered and could also be moved to use outside via hookups in the basement. It's not the greatest, but we've also a 40" in the living room, so I've let it be.

Bulletproof
03-24-2015, 06:21 PM
Good idea!

Im Bamma
12-17-2015, 12:27 PM
I would like to replace my tv too. Can you give me a little more detail on how you removed yours. We cant get ours out of cabinet. Thanks

f6bits
12-24-2015, 03:18 PM
It's been quite a long while since I removed the TV. As I recall, it is a sliding bracket that goes into a mounting plate. There were two screws on top I had to weasel my way in and unscrew before I could slide the TV up out of the bracket.

Scarem
12-27-2015, 03:04 PM
Reach up under the tv with a cross point screw driver. There's a screw on each bottom side of the bracket that needs to come off. Then you can lift the tv up and out

Scarem
12-28-2015, 03:04 AM
I was itching to upgrade to a larger TV, and the Jensen's lack of good off-angle viewing was really bugging me.

My criteria was that I wanted the new TV to still fit in the opening, and be thin enough so it doesn't stick out much. I settled on the Toshiba 24L4200U (http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-24L4200U-24-Inch-1080p-Black/dp/B0077E48IM) 24" LED TV. I found one good used one at Amazon for $150 plus $10 shipping. I then bought some flat metal bars for mounting and the M4 screws for the VESA mount. Thankfully, the Toshiba supports composite video via a menu option to control the RGB inputs. Here's are the results:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/609598/IMG_2174.JPG

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/609598/IMG_2177.JPG

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/609598/IMG_2178.JPG

It's screwed in pretty firmly so it has very little wobble. I left the metal bars extended a bit outside so I could wedge something in there to firm up the mount. At some point, I suspect that I'll be cutting them off just for a better look.

I have the same trailer and did this mod. I removed the side trim pieces and the turn around function of the cabinet. I took a piece of 3/4 oak plywood and stained it to match the existing cabinet. Mounted the oak in the middle of the cabinet and secured it from above and below. I mounted a 32" lcd on a low clearance swing arm mount that fits abosolutely perfect in the space. The TV will fit inside the enclosure and is secured by two little thumb TAC push pins while on the road. The bedroom side now has a 19" lcd, using the original mount from then Jensen. I used rca splitters and a coax splitter for the antenna

Sherwood
12-30-2015, 08:25 PM
Great job! I'm doing something very similar. The current tv is really a terrible picture compared to a 1080p. I'm also getting rid of the swivel mount since it shows way to much on each side of the tv. Kinda hard to change clothes not knowing if someone can see you in the bedroom. Not to mention the viewing angle is really bad sitting on the couch. I'm adding an articulating mount that way I can pull tv out and over to angle tv better. Doing this, I can add a 40" tv to each side and get rid of the current 29".

Scarem
01-07-2016, 08:04 AM
I used a 32" led. Worked great. Mounted on a swing out mount. Added a small piece of trim above the TV. I used small push pin TAC to hold TV from swinging out while going down the road

flubyu
01-31-2016, 08:14 PM
Sherwood and scarem, please include details on this swap. I hate the small Jensen tvs in our trailer, been wanting to make it where the current Jensen is facing the bedroom and put a swing arm on the mirror side with the biggest tv that will fit in the allowed space. TIA.

Sherwood
01-31-2016, 11:43 PM
What I am currently in the middle of is that I totally took out the swivel mirror and tv. I then studded a wall in its place so I can add a 40" tv on each side. Both will have articulating mounts to ease up on viewing angle. Care has to be taken so that the tv in living room is not to thick to get in way of slide-out when tv is retracted all the way. I will post in Modifications and Upgrades when finished.

filmtex
02-01-2016, 06:56 AM
I plan on mounting a 32 inch tv. weight 11 pounds +3 pounds for the bracket.
(a total of 14 pounds.)

That should work in the bedroom on the "mounting Bracket" wall don't you think?

2013 248 RKS Bullet.

That's exactly what we did in our 248 RKS, it works great.

flubyu
02-01-2016, 08:09 AM
How does the swivel mechanism come out? My trailer is in storage so I can't go look...

Sherwood
02-01-2016, 09:08 AM
On mine, I unscrewed the mirror from the swivel. Four screws right on the front. Removed it. There was an opening behind there to unscrew the tv through the mirror side and remove tv. And I'm pretty sure you unscrew the top and bottom brackets from the camper that hold the swivel in and pull it out. I only say "pretty sure" because I threw the brackets away and cant confirm 100%. Its really easy.

flubyu
02-01-2016, 09:19 AM
Ok great. Thank you for all your help! Please share pics when you get this completed!

Sherwood
02-01-2016, 10:01 AM
No problem. I will share it in its own thread when completed.

Scarem
02-01-2016, 03:48 PM
Sherwood and scarem, please include details on this swap. I hate the small Jensen tvs in our trailer, been wanting to make it where the current Jensen is facing the bedroom and put a swing arm on the mirror side with the biggest tv that will fit in the allowed space. TIA.

I removed the swivel mount. Remove the thin side panel trim, then reach in and unscrew the wood side trim pieces. Mount a new 3/4 piece of oak plywood stained to match your unit. Screw the plywood into the center of the section from top and bottom. Leave a little room on the right side for cables to pass through into the bedroom side. Get yourself a low clearance swivel arm TV mount from Amazon. Mount the swivel to the tv and dry fit into the section. Mark location of the mount when the TV is closed in all the way and is fully within the cabinet. Mount the arm. Install the TV and measure for any trim pieces. Look at my photo a few post back and you'll see the end result. 32" firs perfect.
I used the original TV mount for the bedroom side and mounted a new 19" led. Anything bigger will burn your eyes.

Scarem
02-01-2016, 03:55 PM
This photo shows the plywood with a small gap on the right side
Keep in mind the TV mount will not be in the center of the cabinet. It will probably be towards the left, that's why you should mount it to the TV and dry fit

Scarem
02-01-2016, 03:58 PM
Finished product. i use small white push pins on the bottom trim to keep the TV in the cabinet while on the road.