PDA

View Full Version : Help! Mice in my AFrame!

alittle121
12-12-2012, 07:52 AM
Can anyone tell me how to prevent mice in my A-Frame? I was doing a winter inspection last night and found droppings and chewed up cardboard and other things in the cabinetry. I took a look at the undercarriage and it looks to have some damage as well. This is my baby and I just bought it! A friend told me about www.mouse-free.com (http://www.mouse-free.com). Has anyone tried this company? Someone Help!!

-Aaron

curlyfungirl
12-12-2012, 03:34 PM
We put dryer sheets in all the closets and drawers. We haven't had any problems and it keeps the rig from smelling musty.

hankaye
12-12-2012, 04:18 PM
alittle121, Howdy;

get some galvinized mesh to cover the bottom, mesh 1/4" or smaller
and put some '0' sized steel wool in every other nook and cranney you can find.

hankaye

PerryB
12-12-2012, 05:17 PM
Step #1 is to do whatever you can to physically block their entry.Then try a few mesh bags with mothballs strategically placed around the trailer.

sonic2
05-11-2013, 06:28 AM
We put dryer sheets in all the closets and drawers. We haven't had any problems and it keeps the rig from smelling musty.
We use dryer sheets also (box of 100 all over everywhere). Keeps the RV smelling nice and no mice. Many people I RV with do the same. I live in the country and many people I know live in the country and store their RV on the farm or ranch. This is what they do to prevent mice problems.

SoGaDually
06-13-2013, 02:55 PM
Dryer sheets or pure Peppermint on cottons ball

AlbertaRvMan
04-02-2014, 11:56 AM
Hello,

Just checking to see if anyone has since used the mouse-free product.

My dealer is recommending it, would like to know if it works.

http://www.mouse-free.com

Thanks,.

koko
04-02-2014, 01:37 PM
I've read that if you put cloves and bay leaves in a mesh draw-string bag and put the bags in vulnerable places, they will keep the mice and ants away. We have done this, but I don't know yet if it's effective. The trailer, however, smells great.

Mark TC
04-02-2014, 11:23 PM
Here is what I did last October and not I live in the country setting.
1. Any and all openings on the under pinning was sealed with the metal taper used on HVAC ducting - even the seams or ends of the pinning were it meets the frame was sealed
2. Everything was taken out of camper
3. Put about 40 or more dryer sheets in it everywhere
4. Put the cushions on the table
5. Put about 20 glue traps in it all over next to walls and in corners under cabinets
6. I put 3 of the large containers of damp rid in it

When I opened it up to get it ready it smelled like a large dryer sheet but I had no mice

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

AlbertaRvMan
04-03-2014, 04:32 PM
Thanks all for the great info.

I am skeptical on dryer sheets, any science to support this (that mice avoid this?)

I think I will try a combination of
- apply mouse-free
- apply fresh cab (expensive)
- seal all openings (including frame)
- install dauber screens
- Stuff brass wire mesh
- I will probably use dryer sheets also.
- remove all food

Thanks again!

bsmith0404
04-03-2014, 04:42 PM
We had mice in ours one year, the only thing we had left in the camper were coffee K cups, they chewed through everyone of them and then left (no other sign of them doing any other damage. Since then we make sure EVERYTHING is removed from the camper, no new visitors. Our friends had mice get up into their camper, they chewed all of the wires in the chassis, it was a mess. After seeing that I started storing ours in a paved storage lot far away from fields. Anything to reduce the critters from visiting.

Blinky 13
05-18-2014, 09:51 AM
Scatter 8-10 bars of irish spring soap through trailer before storage and you will never see a mouse again!!! plus it will smell nice when it comes out of storage!!!"bouncey:

gearhead
05-22-2014, 06:56 PM
I would do all the above to keep the mice away. They are attracted to the plastic insulation on the wires. Two years ago I had to call the boss and tell him mice had eaten the insulation on the ignition wiring harness of three V-12 Waukesha 1,500HP engines. $100,000+ damage.

Delightful
05-23-2014, 05:31 AM
I was told that Irish Spring soap will keep mice away. I use dryer sheets and bars of Irish Spring soap in all the areas of the trailer...all closets, under sinks, in cabinets and under bed and storage areas. The trailer smells fresh and it seems to deter mice. However, do not use the Aloe Irish Spring as mice will chew on and eat this soap...use the original Irish Spring bars.

Hope this helps. The one and only time I had mice in a trailer they had chewed their way in next to the holding tank. All areas were sealed and there hasn't been a problem since.

No one likes unwanted guests in their trailer!

Happy camping!

Delightful