PDA

View Full Version : Grease

RaptorMan
05-11-2010, 03:21 PM
I am new to the 5th wheel, I was wondering should i put grease on the hitch? I went out today and brought a white lube plate that goes on the trailer. Didn't know if i need to put grease on that.

Mike

Jim W
05-11-2010, 03:32 PM
Yes and No. How is that for an answer.
The Lube plate takes the place of the grease on the pin box and hitch plate. No grease is required in this area. The pin does require grease and should be greased every time you pull the 5er. I usually take a paper shop towel and place grease in this and then wipe the grease on the king pin.
The first time I grease the king pin my wife saw me dip my fingers in the grease and then lube the pin. She could not believe I would do this, since then the towel to please her.
Jim

RaptorMan
05-11-2010, 04:17 PM
Thanks Jim, That makes since, Should i just use wheel barring grease? Thanks for the reply.

Mike

hankpage
05-11-2010, 07:50 PM
The first time I grease the king pin my wife saw me dip my fingers in the grease and then lube the pin. She could not believe I would do this, since then the towel to please her.
Jim

Wives! .... They never let us have any fun. :rolleyes:

And yes Mike, wheel bearing grease is good. I use a marine grade just for a little more weather resistance. ..... and the towel also.