PDA

View Full Version : Members that are fire/ems

Laredo291OH
12-06-2012, 04:53 PM
Saw htfiremedics thread about the decorations being stolen and couple members answered that they were ff's. Got me curious, how many of us here are volunteer/full time fire and or ems. I'm on a volunteer dept. here in Ohio. I have my level II and EMR. How about anyone else?

SteveC7010
12-06-2012, 05:01 PM
Saw htfiremedics thread about the decorations being stolen and couple members answered that they were ff's. Got me curious, how many of us here are volunteer/full time fire and or ems. I'm on a volunteer dept. here in Ohio. I have my level II and EMR. How about anyone else?

Got into volunteer EMS in 1972 and got my first EMT card the next year. Worked 27 1/2 years professionally as a Dispatcher II for Rochester-Monroe County 911 (one of the top 10 9-1-1 centers in the US.) Did some commercial EMS on the side, too. Still active with a small volunteer squad up here in the Adirondacks.

2011 keystone
12-06-2012, 07:22 PM
I have been a volunteer for about 14 years now.
Our dept. trades patches with other dept's all over the place.
If any off your dept's do the same send me a PM.

PA5er
12-06-2012, 08:04 PM
I have been involved in the volunteer fire service since 1973. Have held administrative as well as fire operations positions. Currently an assistant chief and engineer. Held the EMTD certification for 20+ years.
LOVE EVERY MINUTE OF IT.:)http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_58128_0_4b6fef624527bfb9b91f555bff1f2a8b.jpg
http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_58128_1_4880140340a6fe0252e0f57a4af08daa.jpg

Htfiremedic
12-06-2012, 08:24 PM
Firefighter 2, IFSAC Fire Instructor I, Paramedic and POPO. 20+ years. Beautiful, Historic, Downtown Hickory Tavern, SC(applause)
I work EMS in Anderson County, SC

mecfd67
12-07-2012, 04:12 AM
Firefighter level II Emt for over 20 years upstate NY :banghead:

byrdr1
12-07-2012, 06:52 AM
Well to add, NOT FD or EMS exLEO, but my son in law is Firefighter and EMT, my son who just got out of military is studing Fire Science at the local Community College, He wants to become a firefighter, his (MOS)background in the military was military police.
just saying,
Thanks for all you do for us regular folks.
randy

cathcartww
12-07-2012, 07:41 AM
Volunteer Firefighter since 1981. Mostly as an engineer, and ran as an EMT for six years.

Currently more or less retired, but still participate in training drills and serve as Recording Secretary.

The Company just celebrated our 100th Anniversary.

http://stoneharborfire.com/

a1albert
12-07-2012, 06:22 PM
We have two guys in our Volunteer Fire Department that are over 80 years old, sure they don't do much but they are there. Bob joined in the late 40's and Mas in the early 50's. Mas is a ww2 vet and is Japenees and served in Europe. Bob was awarded some kind of award for having more service than any other Fire Fighter in the US by the US goverment. It makes my 4 years in the Navy as a ship board fire fighter and 28 years as a Volunteer in the West Side Fire Department look small. I know one of these days they will have the last call for one of these guys and it will be a sad day.

Albert

old racer
12-10-2012, 05:42 PM
Was a Captain on a volunteer dept. until we moved further from town. Certified FF2, Jaws of Life Tech. We now have 2 Sons that are on the Dept., the older one (25) is a civial engr. and captain on the ladder truck. 2 years ago he started the junior explorers program. Our youngest Son (now 18), was part of the program and has recently become a member as well. He is a senior in high school. Because of his grades and having been involved in the explorers program, the school board recently voted to allow him to carry a pager during school hours and he is able to respond when needed.
Also have 2 brothers whom are members.

SAABDOCTOR
12-11-2012, 07:14 AM
I have all ways said "It takes a special person to run into a burning building" My hat is off to all of you.THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO!! GOD BLESS YOU ALL(tx)(tx)(tx)

azlee56
12-11-2012, 08:27 AM
I was patiently waiting for everyone in this line of work to speak up and then I was going to say the same thing as Barney (SAAB) did.

THANK YOU!! I am so glad everytime I have to call 911 and I know caring, qualified people are going to come and see me through whatever ordeal is happening. Makes me feel snuggley.

ckittles
12-30-2012, 05:09 PM
Have been paramedic in TX for about 8 years. Not active with a service but was part time for 10 years and volunteer fire for 11 years.

Georgia Rambler
12-30-2012, 09:01 PM
I am not a Fire or EMS, but my Stepfather was for almost 30 years at Hunter Army Airfield/ Coast Guard Base in Savannah, he is retired now.
Thanks for all that y'all do and sacrifice in your line of work!

Scottinvt
12-31-2012, 01:15 AM
Retired Vol EMT in Poultney Vermont for 15 years.

87shark
12-31-2012, 05:00 AM
Retired vol FF and EMS from Manotick ont Canada after 10 yrs of service.
Loved every minute of the time spent on the dept.

fireidiot
02-05-2013, 09:48 PM
I've been a firefighter since 1995. At my current department since 1997. In my other life I'm also an IBEW Local 1 Communication Technician (fancy words for saying I work on alarm and low voltage systems).

www.fairviewfiredept.com

crash
02-06-2013, 04:38 AM
I was one back in the 80s in Col. Hghts Va.My father in law is one in New Jersey and my wife has been in the Army for 17 1/2 years now .:USA2:

Paramenace
02-06-2013, 09:25 AM
I started as a volunteer in Maryland in 1981, Became an EMT in 1982. After I joined the Army I got the chance to volunteer all over the country. I became a Paramedic in 2000. After I retired from the Army I got a job as a Firefighter / Paramedic. I’m currently the “B Shift” Lieutenant in one if the busiest Engine / Medic houses on the East Coast. It’s still the best job in the world. Look down the aisle around Halloween. What costumes do you see? Superman, Spiderman, FIREMAN! We make a difference every day. How many people can go to sleep after a grinder of a shift and say that?

Terry W.
02-06-2013, 03:45 PM
I was a member of our CFR team at work, an aircraft maintence company making asst Chief for 15 years. I was a Vol firefighter away from work for 16 years in the Greenville, SC area. Now due to medical issues I had to stop firefighting, darn it

Festus2
02-06-2013, 10:33 PM
A little over 3 years ago, I suffered a moderate heart attack due to a complete blockage of my right coronary artery. After placing a call to 911, 2 groups of paramedics came and started working on me. As I lay there and starting to feel things slip away, I remember one of guys saying, "I can't find a pulse".

I've seen this scenario played out on TV in ER rooms many times not ever thinking that I would become one of the cast. The paramedics did their stuff, stabilized me and after a siren-filled trip to the hospital and then another fast trip to the heart unit at another hospital, here I am today.

I've read the posts about those who "do their stuff" and wasn't going to say anything but felt it was now time to say something. Each time I see or hear an ambulance going by, I say a quiet "Thank you". :thumbsup:

It would be great to meet some of you - under different circumstances - and have a beer around a campfire. Cheers.

(ty)

DJ85
02-07-2013, 12:37 AM
Currently in law enforcement. Been a vol fireman for 24 yrs 5 yrs as a deputy chief and the last 4 as a asst chief. Taught in the fire science program for the local collage for 8 yrs retired from that this yr. I was a vol emt basic for 12 yrs then gave it up do to requirements some people just are amazed at the training that is required to become a fire fighter.

KanTC
02-07-2013, 06:38 AM
Our daughter is an ER Nurse at a Level 1 (Burn & Trauma) Hospital in Texas... she works each day with the wonderful men & woman of Fire/EMS, medics/flight crews.
It does indeed take a special individual to be in this line of work, and we also send a big "Thank You" to each of you! (tx)

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot & DH Kevin :)

Ken / Claudia
02-07-2013, 09:58 PM
I have to say, Love you fire/ems folks. Nothing better to a trooper on a freeway crash to have that big red truck roll up and block the lane so it is safe to work in the traffic lane.
I rode in ambulances 2 times while working both were 30-40 minute runs to the trama center. First was from being struck by a vehicle that hit the stopped patrol car at a (crash site) at about 70 mph according to the driver.
Next time I was near a bast while in a boat hazing sea lions. 3/4 stick of tnt went off by accident and blew up near my right side. The ems person was a sister of a felow trooper. She asked me if I wanted to go lights/srien or not. I said lets see how good the driver is, go code 3(lights/srein). After that accident I do not go out side without a shirt on.
The fire and ems folks around the metro area here are great.

Kenworth
02-11-2013, 12:57 PM
Been on the V.F.D, here in NW Ohio for 11 years, currently a Lt. FF1, and no desire to become EMT, but thank you to those that are.

FireMech
02-11-2013, 05:34 PM
My day job is a Firefighter/Fire equipment mechanic and team member on a national incident management team in which I get dispatched all over the country for wildland fires, hurricanes, blizzards, tornadoes, terrorist attacks, etc.

El Gee
02-14-2013, 01:49 PM
14 years volunteer, past FMR, past Lt - President of our society/association.

Pmedic4
08-06-2013, 02:24 PM
Of course, by my handle you can tell I'm a Paramedic. Started as a volunteer in NY, and then move to Illinois, so re-upped as a Volunteer here, went on to get my EMT-P license, EMT-P Instructor, and CISM counselor. I've since retired as a volunteer Firefighter and EMT-P, but still work part-time on a paid ambulance service.

Really enjoy being a EMT, and feel like there is nothing else you can do to make such a big difference - at least in one persons life. Great sense of satisfaction getting a CPR/Defibrillation save, extricating someone from a vehicle, rescuing a person from a fall, or anyone of those million situations people encounter in their daily lives.

Buckle up, and stay safe out there!

firechief
09-03-2013, 02:25 PM
I am a 12 year volunteer FF/EMT and currently hold the position of Assistant Chief. It has been a great experience working with some of the best firefighters in Northern Colorado while giving back to my local community. :)

LM3929
09-06-2013, 09:19 PM
I was a Career FF/Fire Mech. and Training Officer in Lonely BC for over 30 years.

LM3929

safd18fire
09-10-2013, 06:09 PM
I have been a Volunteer FF for 14 years, the last 3 as Fire Chief. I love helping the people of my community here in St. Anna, Wisconsin.

Beerdude41867
09-12-2013, 04:21 PM
Wow! I've been working in So. California for 26 years (four more to go). After reading all these posts, I didn't realize actually how much being a paid guy is not so common in lots of parts of the country. Out here everyone is professional. I guess I'm truly blessed to get paid to do what most of you volunteer to do. You guys all be safe. Maybe I'll have a beer with one of you around the campfire sometime.

jramsey
10-24-2013, 04:31 AM
I was a fireman for 32 years and retired in 2009 with the rank of battalion chief. Great career! I was a member of the local USAR team and was fortunate enough to go to New York after 9-11, New Orleans after Katrina, and Texas after Gustave. I have lots of good memories and some not so good but I would not change a single thing. My two oldest sons are now both professional firemen and I couldn't be prouder of them.

DanandDonna
11-01-2013, 10:25 PM
Started out as a Volunteer Fire Fighter back in '83 and loved the EMS side so much became a Full time Paramedic in '87 and never looked back until I retired in '09. Never had a problem getting up to go to work, absolutely loved the job. I blew out 2 disks in my back in '04 and spent the last 5 yrs pushing paper and doing logistics with new Ambulances.

I know how all of you feel that say you love it, there is truly no feeling like it.

Albert
11-02-2013, 04:54 PM
Was an explorer scout with our local sheriffs office starting in 1970. Was a resident firefighter for the city of Pullman Washington while I attended Washington State University. After graduation was a sheriff deputy for 8 years and also completed paramedic training and worked as a paramedic on a rural ambulance on my days off.

Injured my knee in the line of duty, transferred to the 9-1-1 center as a dispatcher. Retired in 2012 as deputy director in-charge of county-wide 9-1-1 center, Emergency Managment and Ems Services for a county with close to a half million population. Was a fun, fast ride. Great people, lots of fun times and good memories.

redridinghood22
05-23-2014, 05:42 PM
DH is a 34 year paramedic that did his gig at largest county hospital ambulance service in Indiana...He retired in 2008. I am currently a 911 dispatcher in Central Indiana and have been this time for 5 years. Did a 8 year stint as 911 dispatcher from 1974-1982 and again in 1996-2000..

Zinger
05-29-2014, 04:32 PM

Vol Fire Captain and Deputy Battalion Coordinator