PDA

View Full Version : I'd like a heavier rear end

f6bits
12-02-2012, 08:52 PM
Now that I've gone with a dual 6V battery setup and a sturdier tow vehicle, I've not been afraid of tongue weight. But if I need to fill my fresh water tank, what's a good way to counter balance at the rear of the trailer? There's really no storage space back there.

What do you all move to the back of your trailer if you need more weight back there?

JRTJH
12-02-2012, 09:46 PM
Scott,

It's got to be "Scott" and not his DW with a post titled "I'd like a heavier rear end" ..... I know my DW would NEVER say such a thing even if it did mean "how do I balance my RV" :rofl:

Now, Scott, Have you weighed your trailer and the tongue? You might find that even with the FW tank filled, you're still well within the recommended limits for tongue weight. Most people recommend maintaining the tongue weight somewhere between 10% and 15% of the total trailer weight. So, if you're around 12 or 13% now and add 30 gallons of water (250lbs) you may find that if you weigh your trailer and tongue again, you may have only increased the tongue weight by 1% or so because the total trailer weight went up as well.

As for reducing the tongue weight by adding extra cargo behind your trailer axles, if there's no storage back there, maybe you can put your coolers, heavier "clean" items between the bunks, etc to help offset the added tongue weight. Just remember that the back of the trailer is the roughest riding area and anything back there and not secured will most likely wind up bouncing around. But I'd weigh it before doing too much, you might find it's not that far off of ideal.

John

f6bits
12-03-2012, 06:00 AM
Thanks for the perspective that 30 gallons of fresh water is a low percentage of total weight. It *is* back a bit, so it's only 150 extra pounds on the tongue, still keeping things within 15%. It's been a while since I've hit the scales with a full fresh water tank.

Part of my concern is the payload of the truck. I'd also like to keep a large safety margin there, so if the tongue weight has increased by a couple hundred pounds, I've lost a good amount of payload buffer.

Now with the truck, our luggage rides in the bed just to save time when we hit the road. If my next trip to the scales shows I'm getting front heavy, I'll go back to the old routine of packing the trailer before our trip.

Htfiremedic
12-03-2012, 06:55 AM
Water weighs 8.33 lbs/gallon. That is roughly 250 lbs. All in all it seems small.

audio1der
12-04-2012, 10:55 PM
Bring more beer. Load it as far back as possible.
Every 12.75 cans of beer is one gallon so I'm sorry to break it to you, but you may have to pack a few flats (24/ea):D

hankpage
12-05-2012, 09:16 AM
Bring more beer. Load it as far back as possible.
Every 12.75 cans of beer is one gallon so I'm sorry to break it to you, but you may have to pack a few flats (24/ea):D

I like the way you think. This is one reason we like the RK models. Keeping the rear fridge well stocked does help balance the trailer and rewards the driver after a hard day towing and setting up. http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=251&pictureid=1113 Cheers, Hank

Carrying some water in the fresh tank also decreases the back end bouncing a little. Any way you can balance the load will improve the towing experience. Each different model will require a different approach.

twstdpear
12-05-2012, 02:00 PM
I ran across this 2000lb tongue weight scale a week or so ago:
http://www.etrailer.com/Tools/Sherline/5780.html

It's pricey, but the only human scale we have at home is a glass one so I'd have to buy something anyway just to use the trick to reduce the weight on a home scale by some adjustable factor. This one is also small and light enough that it'll travel with us going forward. Unfortunately, there are no truck scales anywhere reasonably near where I live.

The dry tongue weight on my trailer is really high (925lbs), considering the GVWR is 8200lbs , and based on my math of the weight of the items int he trailer, we're only around 7200-7500lbs.

It should be here Friday, so I can spend some time rearranging things between the front and rear storage areas (ours has a huge storage area in the back under the rear bunks) to lighten up the tongue to about 10%. (750lbs to 820lbs)

hankpage
12-05-2012, 02:33 PM
I ran across this 2000lb tongue weight scale a week or so ago:
http://www.etrailer.com/Tools/Sherline/5780.html

It's pricey, but the only human scale we have at home is a glass one so I'd have to buy something anyway just to use the trick to reduce the weight on a home scale by some adjustable factor. This one is also small and light enough that it'll travel with us going forward. Unfortunately, there are no truck scales anywhere reasonably near where I live.

The dry tongue weight on my trailer is really high (925lbs), considering the GVWR is 8200lbs , and based on my math of the weight of the items int he trailer, we're only around 7200-7500lbs.

It should be here Friday, so I can spend some time rearranging things between the front and rear storage areas (ours has a huge storage area in the back under the rear bunks) to lighten up the tongue to about 10%. (750lbs to 820lbs)

Scales are not only located at truck-stops. You can find them at many land fills, scrap yards, stone and gravel supply yards or Agricultural supplies. If you phone ahead most of these places will tell you the best times to come and be glad to weigh your rig. Remember to include the weight of your hitch and w/d system on the rear of your tv. Much more accurate to weigh the whole rig and then the tv on a public scale. JM2¢, Hank ..................... If hitch weight is you only concern weigh the truck only while attached to trailer and than just the truck. The difference will be your true hitch weight and take into consideration W/D effect.

Bob Landry
12-05-2012, 02:37 PM
Does this trailer make me look fat?:rofl:

CUFFS054
12-05-2012, 03:40 PM
Thank you Bob! It's been killing me! I was going to offer the OP some of my SO's, but your comment is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better!

hankpage
12-05-2012, 04:08 PM
I never would have picked up on that one since even standing in a 12ft garage of a 40+ft TH ... I still look fat. :D

CUFFS054
12-05-2012, 04:21 PM
Hank, you must be a model husband/partner. However when my pantilloons slipped while moving a picnic table at the campground the comment "Now that's a FULL moon" did not amuse me...

floatflyer
12-08-2012, 08:46 PM
Every time I see this thread name it's hard to resist a smart *** reply so I'm giving in. No female I know would ever lead with that title. From my standpoint as a long time pilot where weight and balance are crucial, placing cargo in the trailer for towing shouldn't be all that hard. Weight forward of the trailer axle will increase tongue weight, and aft of the axle will decrease it. Too much or too little tongue weight are both bad. Just like in an aircraft. Once stopped you can relocate that stuff wherever is convenient.