PDA

View Full Version : New Montana Stock 2004 F-350

jlarocca
11-19-2012, 06:48 AM
Looking to hear from 6.0L owners out there. I have a 2004 SRW F-350 Crew Cab that I've had for several years. I have a new 6.0L engine in it with about 12K miles on it. Other than the exhaust from the turbo back it is completely stock. Up until last Friday when I brought my new 5er home I had only towed utility trailers with 5K or less pounds on it. This is the first large thing I've towed as this thing is 39' long and weighs 12K lbs. I've got to admit I'm very disappointed in how it towed. Its been 12 years since I've sold my last 5er and TV. Had a 95 F-350 back then with 7.3L and it towed like nobody's business. That was an almost 14K lb 40' triple axle 5er.

I was having trouble maintaining 65mph on fairly level interstate with a completely empty trailer. Truck seemed to be struggling and not wanting to shift into higher gear in tow/haul mode. Is this the kind of performance I can expect out of this truck? I had a 26K lb motorhome with 5.9 Litre Cummins that drove like a sports car so wondering if I need to be pulling this thing with a Dodge.

tanman32225
11-19-2012, 06:56 AM
that engine had problems but not power issues/. If it is running smooth and sounds good my first guess sounds like a clogged muffler or Cat converter if its even installed on that year. If no cat converter look to a collapsed muffler. Other than that Im at a loss.

Maybe someone else can pipe in with some suggestions

jlarocca
11-19-2012, 07:22 AM
that engine had problems but not power issues/. If it is running smooth and sounds good my first guess sounds like a clogged muffler or Cat converter if its even installed on that year. If no cat converter look to a collapsed muffler. Other than that Im at a loss.

Maybe someone else can pipe in with some suggestions

Thanks, that for sure is not it as I don't have a cat and I have a free flowing Magnaflow 4" muffler (you can see right through it).

I'm going to have to invest in a scanner like an edge or scan guage I think. I have turbo and EGT on A-Pillar and I'm pushing 25lbs of boost and 1000 degrees of EGT going down the road with that thing. I can't imagine how bad my MPG is going to be.

hankaye
11-19-2012, 07:41 AM
jlarocca, Howdy;

You mentioned in your orig. post that the engine had been replaced.
Generaly, when an engine is replaced, the assessories, such as turbo,
and cat(alic) converter rail system, as well as water pump, alterniater, etc.
are swaped from the old engine to the new.
One of the problems with the 6.0L is the catalic converter rail and cooler system corrodes and leads to engine failure...
That, I think (may be wrong, not the first time), is what tanman32225
was refering to when he said; "that engine had problems but not power issues/. If it is running smooth and sounds good my first guess sounds like a
clogged muffler or Cat converter if its even installed on that year. If no cat
converter look to a collapsed muffler. Other than that Im at a loss."

Just me 2 cents worth...

hankaye

SAABDOCTOR
11-19-2012, 08:06 AM
YOU Should have plenty of power with that engine!. the op is correct you may have a plugged exhaust. but also if you can get it on a scanner and check live data. for timing fuel flow injector pulse (duration) and temp readings too see if they are correct. hope it all works out. i know 6.0's have isues but when they run right they are strong:banghead:

jlarocca
11-19-2012, 08:28 AM
jlarocca, Howdy;

You mentioned in your orig. post that the engine had been replaced.
Generaly, when an engine is replaced, the assessories, such as turbo,
and cat(alic) converter rail system, as well as water pump, alterniater, etc.
are swaped from the old engine to the new.
One of the problems with the 6.0L is the catalic converter rail and cooler system corrodes and leads to engine failure...
That, I think (may be wrong, not the first time), is what tanman32225
was refering to when he said; "that engine had problems but not power issues/. If it is running smooth and sounds good my first guess sounds like a
clogged muffler or Cat converter if its even installed on that year. If no cat
converter look to a collapsed muffler. Other than that Im at a loss."

Just me 2 cents worth...

hankaye

It was a complete crate engine replacement from top to bottom. I know because I had them put the old engine in the back of the truck and sold off the parts that were still good. The old engine threw a rod out the side of the block one day when the rod cap came loose. Bottom end was junk after that. I was just expecting a whole lot more out of this truck. Getting the trailer moving is not an issue its sustaining speeds on the interstate that seems to be the problem. Strikes me odd hence my call for advice!

Jim W
11-19-2012, 08:48 AM
Looking to hear from 6.0L owners out there. I have a 2004 SRW F-350 Crew Cab that I've had for several years. I have a new 6.0L engine in it with about 12K miles on it. Other than the exhaust from the turbo back it is completely stock. Up until last Friday when I brought my new 5er home I had only towed utility trailers with 5K or less pounds on it. This is the first large thing I've towed as this thing is 39' long and weighs 12K lbs. I've got to admit I'm very disappointed in how it towed. Its been 12 years since I've sold my last 5er and TV. Had a 95 F-350 back then with 7.3L and it towed like nobody's business. That was an almost 14K lb 40' triple axle 5er.

I was having trouble maintaining 65mph on fairly level interstate with a completely empty trailer. Truck seemed to be struggling and not wanting to shift into higher gear in tow/haul mode. Is this the kind of performance I can expect out of this truck? I had a 26K lb motorhome with 5.9 Litre Cummins that drove like a sports car so wondering if I need to be pulling this thing with a Dodge.

Another area to look would be either the fuel filter or air filter to see if they are slightly plugged.
I carry two spare filters in my truck for my two fuel filters always in case of loss of power. When towing my 5er; the boost pressure is always above 10 PSI which tells me that the engine is working harder than without the trailer. So as the engine works to make this power it will need more air and fuel to make the power required to tow the trailer. If either filter is slightly plugged or fully plugged than the engine will not be as efficient as it should be in making the required power to tow. The truck could run all day with a slightly plugged filter under no load condition but start to work it and the efficiency falls off with a loss of power.

Jim W.

720Deere
11-19-2012, 10:27 AM

Your trailer sounds similar in size and length to my Fuzion. The Fuzion is just over 13,000 lbs empty and is about as aerodynamic as a shoe box. That being said, there is no way my 6.0 could have towed this trailer without a lot of struggle. I know how much harder this Fuzion pulls than my 30' Rockwood 5er did behind the 6.7 so I have something to compare. The 6.0 shifted a lot with the lower profile Rockwood that only weighed less than 9,000 lbs. At 65 mph the Fuzion requires all 400/800 available from the 6.7 on somewhat level ground in 6th gear overdrive. At 325/570, your 6.0 should perform about how you have explained it. I would expect you to see a lot of 3rd gear on hills and you should be lucky to see much of 5th gear all.

Htfiremedic
11-19-2012, 10:56 AM
I have an F250 with the 6.0. I bit the bullet and did the Bulletproof Diesel Performance Oil and EGR cooler swaps. Works like champ. I also use a DiabloSport Predator tuner with a towing tune. I have used this setup for many years. I bought the AFE cold air intake, didn't like the loss of fuel mileage.
I had a loss of power once and it was the FICM. Reflashed and worked well. I also have found that changing to Wix filters seems to help keep fuel and oil cleaned.
Watch the injectors and head bolts. They are also problematic.
Enjoy and drive on!

jlarocca
11-19-2012, 11:13 AM
Well that sucks...I was really expecting better out of this truck. I guess its time to start researching tuners to see if I can safely squeeze more out of this truck. Runs like a scalded dog without the trailer as compared to my old 7.3L so was anticipating better towing. Thanks for all the input from everyone.

tomsws6
11-19-2012, 11:36 AM
Just throwing this out there to consider, but have you had any issues with the trans? Could be a software issue with the trans not wanting to shift/downshift when needed?

CUFFS054
11-19-2012, 01:06 PM
Knowing absolutely nothing about this topic I thought I'd jump in! Any chance trailer brakes need to be adjusted?

Htfiremedic
11-19-2012, 01:11 PM
One other thing, are you using the Tow/Haul button? It helps greatly. It also serves well for assisting with downhill speed control.

LittleJoe
11-19-2012, 04:50 PM
Have a shop put a realtime scanner eg(snapon) to see what is really going on as you are towing.
Make sure fuel filter is clean and being delivered at appropriate pressures.
Make sure air filter is not restricted.

Your EGT do not indicate lack of fuel..........Perhaps you were towing against a very substantial headwind?

I would suggest doing the EGR delete and Oil cooler mod and NOT boosting the output with a programmer for the long term life of this engine.

These engines only have 4 head bolts per cyl and should have been designed with 6, so extra fueling and higher boost pressures are not your friend in the long term ESPECIALLY if towing heavy.
JMHO you are the one paying the bills.

Georgia Rambler
11-19-2012, 08:00 PM
You need to get edge programmer and a good cold air intake (I used the banks and liked it it) but their customer service is crap. Your looking at 7 - 800.00$$$ for this and it will really wake your truck up. But also depending on the grade of the hill and weight of your trailer you may want to hit it faster so that the engine is turning a bit more rpm and it will pull it better. I purchased my stuff from 4wheel parts online. Good customer service and prices.

jlarocca
11-21-2012, 08:15 AM
Little Joe how do you like the way your Dodge tows? I'm not a Dodge fan and have always bled Ford blue but I've been very disappointed in this truck. I also really liked the power that my motorhome had with the 5.9L 12V Cummins.

davidjsimons
11-21-2012, 10:32 AM
I don't want to start a war here, but I routinely pull large equipment with my Cummins Powered Dodge with gross weights well in excess of 30,000 lbs. I don't have any performance modifications on my new Ram but it does have the max tow package with 800 pounds of torque and pulling 4.10 differentials. I have no problems maintaining highway speeds. I would think that given your power and perhaps the gearing, that with a 14,000 trailer, you shouldn't be having issues either. Lets first be honest, all diesel powered trucks today are plenty capable if everything is working as it should. It almost sounds like more of a fuel pressure problem you may be experiencing rather than an issue of not having enough truck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Festus2
11-21-2012, 11:50 AM
davidjsimons wrote: "I don't want to start a war here, but ........" :eek:
David - A conciliatory ending to a rather scary introduction. (ty)

davidjsimons
11-21-2012, 12:08 PM
Thanks, my point was more to the fact that although my truck is making good power, it is factory stock and pulling those weights. Ford and GM build capable trucks as well. It's not a wizzing contest as to whose truck is best but more along the lines of I know his Ford is more than capable of that load, so what is the issue at hand. A cylinder cut out test may also be a good idea to test each injector individually if the pump is producing enough pressure.

davidjsimons
11-21-2012, 12:12 PM
Of course the first thing that I would do is change the fuel filter though.

blackty
11-22-2012, 07:13 PM
Was told by a fellow camper that is a Ford mechanic:
1. base fuel pressure is barely adequate when new-there is an upgraded regulator spring kit available
2. only use Ford fuel filters(motorcraft)
3. delete egr & cooler
4. the required cetane is higher than at most pumps, he adds cetane booster
His is a 2005 DRW crew cab and he loves it. I don't know, that is what I was told...Jim

LittleJoe
11-23-2012, 07:52 AM
Jlarocca:
"Little Joe how do you like the way your Dodge tows? I'm not a Dodge fan and have always bled Ford blue but I've been very disappointed in this truck. I also really liked the power that my motorhome had with the 5.9L 12V Cummins"

Quiet happy with how my dodge pulls and really like the 6spd manual when towing. It is last year of no emission engines and oil stays clean on dipstick for several thousand miles.

My BIL owns an 07 F350 SRW with 6.0 litre and pulls a 42' triple axle toyhauler. It works hard in the hills but most anything would with his load.
He has not yet deleted EGR but is on his list (hopefully before its too late).
He gets overboost code when using cruise control at crest of large hills. As long as he does not use cruise the overboost code does not show up.

It does not lack for power and is 100% stock.

jlarocca
11-26-2012, 05:55 AM
I might have had some bad fuel when I brought the rig home. I put some Cetane booster in and filled up before we went on our first trip this weekend and the truck pulled a lot better. Not as good as I remember my 7.3L pulling but better than it did last week. I was able to get up to highway speeds. This 6.0L has been one issue after another. I bought the truck without doing a whole lot of research on the 6.0L or it would have scared me away. I assumed "powerstroke" and it would be as good as my trusty 7.3L. I fell in love with the aesthetics and my brain wasn't on straight anyway as it is a Harley Davidson Edition Crew Cab in the Black/Grey color combination that I was looking for. I still love the truck...just wish I could get past this engine. I just don't have the time, patience or money to be working on this thing constantly. What it boils down to is I'm wanting a new truck with warranty for piece of mind. Thanks so much for everyone's replies.

davidjsimons
11-26-2012, 07:12 AM
Little Joe: I had an '01 & '03 with the six speed manual and 4.10's, awesome trucks!