PDA

View Full Version : Towing with Dodge & Airbags

bpetroni
11-18-2012, 04:45 AM
Congratulations on the new Ram!

Thanks, I towed my TT up North with my 01 Silverado and even though my truck is rated for the trailer weight it struggled too much and I detected the oh so nice odor of burnt transmission fluid. Went to buy a used Chevy at a Dodge dealer and wound up being suckered into tesst driving the Ram. Long storry short I could not pass up the 5.7L Hemi power plant and the price of the truck. So far I love it. Is yours a 1500 or 2500? I have not had the chance to pull with a heavy load yet and the only complaint I have heard about the Rams is the rear end sag. I am not worried about it since I tow with a WDH..

davidjsimons
11-18-2012, 04:53 AM
Mine is a 3500 with the Cummins. The sag that you are referring to is with the new rear suspension on the 1500. It does offer a good ride though. If that is a problem, it's nothing a set of airbags can't remedy.

bpetroni
11-18-2012, 07:41 AM
Mine is a 3500 with the Cummins. The sag that you are referring to is with the new rear suspension on the 1500. It does offer a good ride though. If that is a problem, it's nothing a set of airbags can't remedy.

I looked at the air bags, for about 90 bucks i can haul and keep my carlike ride! I think you need a bigger truck though. :D

davidjsimons
11-18-2012, 10:24 AM
Hahaha!!! Actually, I owned the truck first. I move heavy agricultural equipment with it. It was a good thing to know that I could buy whichever trailer I wanted because having enough truck was not an issue. I actually have airbags in my 3500 because of the weight of a lot of the equipment that move. I have the Firestone bags with the compressor. It was one of the best investments that I have made in my truck, along with the DMI Quick n' Easy hitch.

bpetroni
11-18-2012, 10:46 AM
Hahaha!!! Actually, I owned the truck first. I move heavy agricultural equipment with it. It was a good thing to know that I could buy whichever trailer I wanted because having enough truck was not an issue. I actually have airbags in my 3500 because of the weight of a lot of the equipment that move. I have the Firestone bags with the compressor. It was one of the best investments that I have made in my truck, along with the DMI Quick n' Easy hitch.

As much as I like to think I know everything the dealer saw me coming when he talked me into the 27' trailer. I looked up the specs online when I was at the dealer and everything looked good but I should have known better. Oh well, I bought the trailer in hopes to travel and show the country to my family like my Grandpa did with me and now I don't have to worry about my tow rig breaking down as much becuase it is new....

davidjsimons
11-18-2012, 10:53 AM
I'm sure you will enjoy both your truck and TT. I believe your truck has the new 6 speed automatic? The 390 horsepower from your Hemi is more than capable. I catch a lot of teasing about my truck and trailer combination. Everybody ask me if I think I have enough truck or they ask if the dealership saw ME coming. It's all about enjoying the family time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bpetroni
11-18-2012, 05:31 PM
Thank you, your correct on the specs 390 HP and 407 ft/pnds of torque is pretty unheard of on a 1500. I agree it's all about the family time....