PDA

View Full Version : Hot water heater

zuley
11-17-2012, 03:41 AM
A question after the fact. Recently purchased a Passport Elite 23RB. I have been following the various posts with intererest trying to learn as much about Keystone as I can. One recent post was in regards to a gas/ electric water heater. Am I correct to assume the unit I purchased is only going to have a DSI gas water heater with no electric option? When looking at the unit I opened the vent door to make sure it was DSI and did not look at anything further. Which brand of water heater does Keystone generally use? I understand there are two main brands, one using an anode, the other does not.

SteveC7010
11-17-2012, 03:56 AM
A question after the fact. Recently purchased a Passport Elite 23RB. I have been following the various posts with intererest trying to learn as much about Keystone as I can. One recent post was in regards to a gas/ electric water heater. Am I correct to assume the unit I purchased is only going to have a DSI gas water heater with no electric option? When looking at the unit I opened the vent door to make sure it was DSI and did not look at anything further. Which brand of water heater does Keystone generally use? I understand there are two main brands, one using an anode, the other does not.

Keystone uses Suburban brand water heaters and they are generally propane/110vac. Propane only is pretty rare these days. An easy way to see if yours has electric is to see if there is a circuit breaker for it. The second way to verify is to eyeball the backside of the heater. There should be standard 110vac romex going to an electric box there plus a small on/off switch.

zuley
11-17-2012, 04:00 AM
I should have added as well that we don't take delivery until May. I guess I'll find out then. :)

SteveC7010
11-17-2012, 04:12 AM
I should have added as well that we don't take delivery until May. I guess I'll find out then. :)

In which case, you have the opportunity to make sure it is a dual unit or not as you prefer. A phone call to the dealer will fix that.

Greysquirrel
11-17-2012, 08:08 AM
Just bought a Premier 19FB and it has an Atwood water heater and has two switches on a panel inside the entry door, one for electric one for gas.
If you have a Suburban it will have an anode you will have to replace when it gets worn the Atwood has a steel tank so none is needed, so I was told.
As Steve says, call your dealer and if you can talk to a mechanic in the shop, some times the sales people don't know about equipment in the trailer. I asked a number of salesmen when I was looking where was the bypass valve for the water heater and got blank stares, they didn't know what I was talking about or better yet go back to the dealer and if they don't have another Passport on the lot go to the shop and ask.

SGardiner
11-17-2012, 07:27 PM
We just purchased a Bullet 281 BHS. We take delivery in May as well.

Water heater is an Atwood propane/electric.

Apparently it can heat both simultaneously to increase the throughput.

AF0115
12-27-2012, 06:13 PM
We just purchased a Bullet 281 BHS. We take delivery in May as well.

Water heater is an Atwood propane/electric.

Apparently it can heat both simultaneously to increase the throughput.

We have the same water heater in our 281BHS and it does work well to use both when you want a lot of hot water.