PDA

View Full Version : Added costs to price of trailer

Jane and Russ
11-15-2012, 01:57 PM
We are looking at the Bullet Premier, among others. One dealer (Camping World) has given us a price, but also adds $1100 for PDI. Is this common practice?

hankpage
11-15-2012, 02:19 PM
We are looking at the Bullet Premier, among others. One dealer (Camping World) has given us a price, but also adds $1100 for PDI. Is this common practice?

Find another dealer ...... even delivery charge should not be that high. JM2¢, Hank

azlee56
11-15-2012, 02:29 PM
they charge for a PDI? I am in shock, or maybe others do and it is a hidden charge. Why in the world would they do that when you are buying something from them?!

Jim W
11-15-2012, 02:31 PM
I agree with Hank in fact after we had the final price from the dealer, the salesman asked what it would take to close the deal. I answered that if they included three slide toppers installed on the slides for that final price I would agree to purchase the trailer. The salesmen went and asked the dealer principle and he agreed to sell the trailer for the original offered price with the slide toppers installed.
Jim W.

zuley
11-15-2012, 03:01 PM
That $1100 is going to bottom line profit. Even if there was an expense added in for PDI knowing CW I doubt very much if they spend much more than an hour doing a PDI, or pre delivery inspection. And again knowing CW I'd be real surprized if there cost of labour was much more than about 12 dollars per hour.

jbsmith
11-15-2012, 03:25 PM
When we purchased our first trailer from a dealer in Cincinnati, OH there were no additional charges for the PDI. They even washed, waxed, and detailed the inside and outside before we left. We bought our 5er last December from the same dealer's Dayton, OH location. Again, near wholesale price with no additional charges for the PDI. They checked everything with us using a very thorough check list, walked us through the complete trailer, covering specs and operation of special features, and even demonstrated winterization of the trailer before we left. It took almost 3 hours, but we left knowing everything was ship shape.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Realval
11-15-2012, 05:29 PM
I just purchased my first TT, a 2013 Passport 199ML at near 50% off MSRP from Lakeshore RV in Muskegon, MI. They did an excellent PDI, calibrated my brake controller, checked the trickle charge from my TV, winterized the trailer and even let me camp overnight in my new TT at their dealership campsite all at no additional charge.

rrohrer
11-15-2012, 06:21 PM
I never paid a PDI charge- nor have ever heard of that.

zuley
11-15-2012, 06:38 PM
The PDI I was referring to in my previous is the dealer prep prior to the unit being sold. If anything like the automotive indusrty the units do not arrive at the dealers location ready for sale to the public.

hankpage
11-16-2012, 05:45 AM
The PDI I was referring to in my previous is the dealer prep prior to the unit being sold. If anything like the automotive indusrty the units do not arrive at the dealers location ready for sale to the public.

I would ask the dealer to justify washing off road dirt from delivery mileage and removing plastic film from carpets costing anywhere near $1100. Even at $100 to $120 per hour shop charges it should take no more than 2 hours and should be included in the cost of making a sale. Tell them to wave the fee and you will wash it yourself. I bought my Cougar from a CW dealer and did not pay any additional fees other than tax, title and tags.

SAABDOCTOR
11-16-2012, 05:54 AM
DEALER PREP Maybe 200 bucks 1100 i would walk away from that dealer! good luck:banghead:

byrdr1
11-16-2012, 06:17 AM
I thank that is called BOTTOM Line Profit!
Just me guessing at it. :)
randy

therink
11-16-2012, 06:56 AM
I would tell that dealer to pound salt. I know for a fact that the dealer receives a sizeable prep $ allowance for each unit from the manufacturers to perform cleaning, and fix punch list items such as loose molding, remove sawdust, make door adjustments, etc. This dealer is clearly looking to double dip at your expense.
Steve

ktmracer
11-16-2012, 08:35 AM
IMHO it's just a way for the dealer to up the price by $1,000 and then give you another $1,000 off the price to make you feel better. My understanding is that dealers get paid by Keystone to do a PDI anyway.

When we bought ours, we spent 4 hours going through the trailer with a fine tooth comb with the salesman and he also went through the operation of everything in the trailer. That included verifying every shade worked, every faucet worked, tv worked on air and cable, AC and heat worked, detailed outside inspection including the roof and suspension, etc. etc. We found two very minor cosmetic things to have them fix, went to lunch, came back and took delivery. All totaled the sales guy was occupied with us from 9am till after 2:30 pm. Total cost $0.00. Dealer did not charge for any PDI. BTW, the salesman told us to plan on at least 2 hours for a PDI walkthrough.

Little Guy
11-16-2012, 09:59 AM
Ouch! Don't do it. Find another dealer. That seems outrageous.

chris199
11-16-2012, 10:15 AM
Id be tempted to find another dealer. My initial reactio is that I would not want to buy from someone like that but MORE importantly....I would not want to deal with the same games for service for years to come.

Bottom line: you have to get bottom line quotes from a cpl dealers....there is a lot of margin in these things. Some will be generic with the price...one price..all in....others will nickel and dime you for battery, propane fill, dealer prep. You have to list what you want and get the final number from more than one dealer. Who knows, maybe ur current deal with the prep fee is the best deal. Do not be afraid to bid low, negotiate creatively. You have to be willing to play hardball and walk away. Keep it professional though...no need for anger or attitude. I got a great price but also negotiated a cover at significant discount and a few months of free storage. The latter items really didn't cost my dealer anything but saved me lots of money!

Randy_K
11-16-2012, 11:09 AM
You need to look at the "out the door" price and use that to compare.

I bought my trailer at the "show price" but when the contract was written up it shows $1,200.00 "Administration fee" that is included in the price. It's always in there it just depends on whether its hidden or not.

Randy

x96mnn
11-16-2012, 03:21 PM
Agree with Randy here!

Comes down to the deal out the door you are getting. To walk away from a dealer giving you a trailer for 16000 and buy the same one from another dealer for 17000 because the first dealer showed a PDI cost of 1100 is not the best move.

SteveC7010
11-16-2012, 04:30 PM
I am of the opinion that most dealers will not bring up an outrageous PDI add-on cost with experienced RV folks. If you've bought a new trailer before, you know that the PDI is part and parcel of the basic deal and NOT an extra. Dealers that add a big PDI charge after negotiating a price are basically taking advantage of first-time RV buyers. Same for dealer prep charges. Keystone pays the dealers for that.

I also agree that walking away from a $1,100 PDI charge at one dealer and then paying $1,000 more for the same trailer at another dealership isn't a bargain at all. But that is rarely the case.

This is the first I have ever heard of charging for a PDI, and $1,100 is about $1,099 too much.

gepaine
11-16-2012, 05:11 PM
If you have identified the trailer you want, the only thing that matters is which dealer has the lowest bottom line price. If the dealer with the lowest bottom line price has itemized $1100 for PDI, why should you care?

JRTJH
11-17-2012, 08:06 AM
If you have identified the trailer you want, the only thing that matters is which dealer has the lowest bottom line price. If the dealer with the lowest bottom line price has itemized $1100 for PDI, why should you care?

As far as "bottom line price" goes, you're correct. But there are a lot of other issues that should be considered as well. How close the dealer is to your home, what reputation the service department has, whether they even have a service department just to name a few.

As stated previously, buying a $29,000 RV for $15,000 with a $1100 PDI charge making the total cost $16,100 (plus tax) and walking away from that deal to buy the same RV for $19,500 (plus tax) in order to save the $1100 is kind of foolish, I'd think. Assuming all other aspects of the deal are essentially the same.

I'd suggest finding dealerships you think will treat you fairly after the sale as well as during the sale. Talk to previous customers and see how they feel, do your own assessment by watching how the service writer handles customers in their department (you know, the "fly on the wall" approach) and just look out over the service bay area. If it's a mess with workers looking angry and not busy vs a clean work area with busy workers, that should tell you something. Also consider the dealership's parts inventory. Having to leave your RV with the dealer for 3 weeks while he orders screws to install molding should not occur. Waiting for a special, unique part is different, but basic things like water pumps, plumbing, faucets, etc should be on hand for use.

Once you find the dealerships you feel comfortable with, then get the final, all inclusive price for the RV you want. Go to several "acceptable" dealerships and then compare the prices from each. The lowest price may not be the best price, you may find that the dealer's abiltiy to provide the "rest of the package" is just as important as the bottom line.

As for the added cost for the PDI, it really doesn't matter how the contract is written up, as long as the final cost on the last line is what you're considering as the "cost" of the RV. How many entries go on the lines above and what they are called doesn't really matter. Those entries are just a roadmap to the bottom line.

Remember though, the cheapest bottom line is not always the best buy. You will most likely be in some sort of relationship with this dealer at least through the warranty phase.

Randy_K
11-17-2012, 11:26 AM
As far as "bottom line price" goes, you're correct. But there are a lot of other issues that should be considered as well. How close the dealer is to your home, what reputation the service department has, whether they even have a service department just to name a few.

As stated previously, buying a $29,000 RV for $15,000 with a $1100 PDI charge making the total cost $16,100 (plus tax) and walking away from that deal to buy the same RV for $19,500 (plus tax) in order to save the $1100 is kind of foolish, I'd think. Assuming all other aspects of the deal are essentially the same.

I'd suggest finding dealerships you think will treat you fairly after the sale as well as during the sale. Talk to previous customers and see how they feel, do your own assessment by watching how the service writer handles customers in their department (you know, the "fly on the wall" approach) and just look out over the service bay area. If it's a mess with workers looking angry and not busy vs a clean work area with busy workers, that should tell you something. Also consider the dealership's parts inventory. Having to leave your RV with the dealer for 3 weeks while he orders screws to install molding should not occur. Waiting for a special, unique part is different, but basic things like water pumps, plumbing, faucets, etc should be on hand for use.

Once you find the dealerships you feel comfortable with, then get the final, all inclusive price for the RV you want. Go to several "acceptable" dealerships and then compare the prices from each. The lowest price may not be the best price, you may find that the dealer's abiltiy to provide the "rest of the package" is just as important as the bottom line.

As for the added cost for the PDI, it really doesn't matter how the contract is written up, as long as the final cost on the last line is what you're considering as the "cost" of the RV. How many entries go on the lines above and what they are called doesn't really matter. Those entries are just a roadmap to the bottom line.

Remember though, the cheapest bottom line is not always the best buy. You will most likely be in some sort of relationship with this dealer at least through the warranty phase.

:hpyclp::hpyclp::hpyclp:

Bob Landry
11-17-2012, 05:39 PM
Dealer prep should be included , the same as when you by a vehicle. Shop around, get a price you can live with and go back to your dealer armed with that if you want to do business with him. Bottom line out the door is what matters. Let them worry about their internal accounting practices.

LittleJoe
11-17-2012, 06:19 PM
I agree with Bob. Its the final amount that matters, regardless of how they get to it.

This big PDI charge or extravagent freight charge or blank???? Is often a way to get you in the door by offering you a "lower" list than the competition.

Another favorite one is advertising trailer eg 16000.00 but fine print says with no trades. When you arrive with your trade price is magically 24000.00.

Bottom line is if dealer does not make resonable profit, dealer does not stay in business

SAD
11-17-2012, 07:16 PM
Dealer prep should be included , the same as when you by a vehicle. Shop around, get a price you can live with and go back to your dealer armed with that if you want to do business with him. Bottom line out the door is what matters. Let them worry about their internal accounting practices.

Bingo bingo

Bushman512000
11-17-2012, 10:40 PM
That place tryed to sting Me for replacement slide toppers.The crap they tryed to add on was a joke $50.00 to remove old topper 2min.gone with a sharp blade.X2 was 2 toppers .I said what next ?to wash the slide roof was extra so I said thanks no thanks and left.They dime You to death.with $50.00 dimes lol Bushman:D

robo
11-22-2012, 05:39 AM
When we purchased our first trailer from a dealer in Cincinnati, OH there were no additional charges for the PDI. They even washed, waxed, and detailed the inside and outside before we left. We bought our 5er last December from the same dealer's Dayton, OH location. Again, near wholesale price with no additional charges for the PDI. They checked everything with us using a very thorough check list, walked us through the complete trailer, covering specs and operation of special features, and even demonstrated winterization of the trailer before we left. It took almost 3 hours, but we left knowing everything was ship shape.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HDd and d rite.

jbsmith
11-22-2012, 07:14 AM
d and d rite.

We bought our first trailer, a 2011 Coachmen 23GSX hybrid, from Colerain RV in Cincinnati and the second, 2012 Keystone Cougar 331MKS, from Midwest RV in Dayton. The dealer prep at Colerain was more thorough since we purchased in the fall when it was still warm. Midwest spent more time with us on our PDI, but it was cold and nasty the day we picked up the trailer so wash/wax wasn't really an option.

So far the only thing I've found on the Cougar that I missed during PDI was some debris under the roof membrane, including a staple along the front cap. The power plug also wasn't screwed in securely which I fixed myself with four new stainless steel screws. I also had to re-caulk one seam along the front cap, it had separated and was too cold to caulk the day we picked it up.

SGardiner
11-30-2012, 04:46 AM
Our dealer charged a combined freight and pdi of $1100.

The total cost was still $3000 less than the next nearest dealer.