PDA

View Full Version : Charleston, SC campgrounds ?

Snoopdog
11-08-2012, 06:30 PM
Going to check out the Charleston, SC area soon and have never been there.

Can anyone recommend a campground ?... I see Oak Plantation, Lake Aire RV Park and James Island County Park....

From just looking at the websites, James Island County Park looks like it is close to the tourist area of Charleston that we may be going to.....

Anyone advise on which CG to avoid?

fallsrider
11-08-2012, 07:05 PM
We've stayed at James Island. Very nice. Had a great time.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

fla-gypsy
11-08-2012, 08:07 PM
James Island County Campground is the premier spot for camping in Charleston for many reasons. If you want some site recommendations let me know.

Jim W
11-09-2012, 07:22 AM
We stayed there in late Sept of this year. A little tricky getting into the camp ground with the 5er; routed through city streets by the GPS and directions from James Island campground. I would book as early as possible I booked in June of 12 to stay in Sept there this year. We had a pull thru with full hook ups on site 37, at Christmas time I believe they limit how many days you can stay in the campground. Easy to get to down town Charleston from James Island campground and back but a little tight in down town traffic with a pick-up.
Jim W.

curlyfungirl
11-09-2012, 01:04 PM
James Island County Campground is the premier spot for camping in Charleston for many reasons. If you want some site recommendations let me know.

Thank you so much flA gypssy. We stayed there years ago and I couldn't remember the name of the park it was the girls most enjoyable camping trip. They learned how to ride bikes on their be rental bikes. We will have to add it to our list of
destinations.

antiqfreq
11-09-2012, 01:22 PM
It has been probably five years since we went to Charleston, but we did stay at James Island. All I remember is it rained all 3 days we were there.

The the campground itself was pretty good. Not best I've stayed in but definitely nice.

Jo

curlyfungirl
11-09-2012, 01:27 PM
Does anyone have their website

fla-gypsy
11-09-2012, 06:21 PM
Does anyone have their website

This has pics of every site and a little info.

http://www.ccprc.com/gallery.aspx?AID=8

This is the home page

http://www.ccprc.com/index.aspx?NID=1434

fla-gypsy
11-09-2012, 06:25 PM
Going to check out the Charleston, SC area soon and have never been there.

Can anyone recommend a campground ?... I see Oak Plantation, Lake Aire RV Park and James Island County Park....

From just looking at the websites, James Island County Park looks like it is close to the tourist area of Charleston that we may be going to.....

Anyone advise on which CG to avoid?

PM back to you with the info you wanted

scrnt
11-10-2012, 05:20 PM
We go 3 times a year it is a great campground if you plan on going soon you had better call to check cancellations. We book a year in advance around xmas to see the lights. They have three miles of lights. During the summer time you get discounts on the water park in the park. If you have any questions let me know.

Gordy
11-11-2012, 03:39 PM
We are currently staying at Oak Plantation which is just south of Charleston. It is a beautiful park with nice facilities. It is on Hwy 17 (Savannah Hwy) near John's Island. I would recommend it! Beautiful trees, grounds and nice people. If James Island is booked up you would love this!

Snoopdog
11-25-2012, 07:31 AM
Thanks everyone for the information...I did book a site a James Island County Park

crash
11-29-2012, 05:10 AM
Looks like a nice place ,I think we may have to visit it in the future.Thanks

psdpower350
12-01-2012, 06:12 PM
St. James state park is great. The wife and I spent 3 days there and wish we would have taken the kids. Very clean, friendly and easy to manuever (sp) big rigs

JerJan10
12-11-2012, 05:43 PM
We've stayed twice at the KOA across the bridge in Mt Pleasant. Sites are level, FHU, pull-thru and plenty big enough for our 30ft FW and F250-CC-LB. Staff is nice and bathrooms are clean. Some walking trails near the lake. It is a bit of drive to Charleston but there is plenty for retirees to do around the area. We go to Charleston for one day to sight-see and eat but spend other 2-3 day around Mt Pleasant (Patriots Point, Shem Creek, Old Village).

Mountainpiemaker
01-31-2013, 06:48 PM
We camped at James Island last summer, it's very nice, if you are adventurous they have stand up paddle boarding lessons for beginners, it's a separate reservation from the campground but you can find the link on their website. It was fun!