PDA

View Full Version : Been SKUNKED??

KanTC
11-06-2012, 12:02 PM
Well... your dog vs a skunk, that is! :eek:

There are ready-made products available at most Pet Stores, but here's a less expensive recipe using supplies that we can 'keep on hand' in the RV.

32 oz hydrogen peroxide
1/2 cup baking soda
1 tablespoon dish washing soap

Mix ingredients in a tub/bucket, and lather the dog (AVOID EYES), leave for 5-10 min. and rinse well with warm water.

Thankfully, we've never had to use it [fingers crossed & knock on wood], but some friends of ours have a lab who (somehow) always finds the skunk -
even in their yard - and always late at night! They say this mixture "works wonders"! :D Just thought I'd share.....

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot & DH Kevin :)

2011 keystone
11-06-2012, 12:23 PM
Alot of home remedys and store bought products help but only a lot of time will get rid of that awful smell. Dont ask how I no this:banghead:

hankpage
11-06-2012, 12:34 PM
They say tomato juice works well also. At least with that you make a couple of Bloody Marys to take the edge off the ordeal.
http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=251&pictureid=1156

michol02
11-06-2012, 01:18 PM
Mythbusters did a skunk spray test, and the Hydrogen peroxide potion tested the best(episode 16: Ancient Death Ray)

Mighty Ming
11-06-2012, 02:29 PM
My ole pal Duke who has since passed used to get sprayed at the most inconvenient times. Like leaving in a few hours to visit parents and while there do some quail hunting (Dukes) favorite. Well frantically I ran to Petco for a remedy. In the past we tried other potions and made him stay outside till stink was gone. Well this Petco employee suggested 'Odor mute'. Simple product for under 5 bucks I was skeptical then he made me a deal. "If it doesn't work come back and see me. I will double your money back out of my own pocket" Went right home mixed the powder in a liter water bottle with warm water, soaked him with it for a few minutes and it was gone. Dukie boy got to ride in the truck for that 5 hr trip. Amazing! I went back the following week and gave that employee a $25 Starbucks gift card. I could have used this stuff when I was a kid and got sprayed while playing hide n go seek... Odor Mute works!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hankaye
11-06-2012, 02:51 PM
Howdy All;

Yep, X3... Rascal, not me. Twice when I was in Ohio and he was in Utah
(staying with friends),... The last time, 10:45pm a Sunday night, in Rual
Utah, All the stores close at 10:00pm Mon. - Sat., most don't even open
on Sunday.
During our walk Rascal, bless his liddle heart, went exploring and got
'hit' in the face with a full squirt, akin to a shotgun blast at close range.
Well we went back to the TT we lived in then. I told him to stay!
when we got to the door. That nice old trailer had a small tub in it and I
grabed the Dawn (cleans a lot of ducks), and the Downey fabric softner.
Remember the stores were closed!!!
Picked him up and carried him to the tub. Plopped him in and gave him a
warm bath with the Dawn and worked the bubbles down to his skin with
the brush. Rinsed thourghly each time, then gave him a Final rinse with the
Downey.
Results were satisfactory. However, every time he got damp (it was Winter), wither it
was snow or rain for the next 4 months, He'd start to present a particular oder
so I'd just give him a few shots of Fabrese... Now he runs for cover whenever
I reach for the spray bottle...

hank

2011 keystone
11-06-2012, 05:32 PM
Results were satisfactory. However, every time he got damp (it was Winter), wither it
was snow or rain for the next 4 months, He'd start to present a particular oder
so I'd just give him a few shots of Fabrese... Now he runs for cover whenever
I reach for the spray bottle...

hank[/QUOTE]

That is to funny because me and my best 4 legged friend have done the same:rofl: