PDA

View Full Version : battery dead on arrival, new RVer

mailman
11-06-2012, 10:48 AM
We towed our new 2013 Passport from the dealership to the storage site about a month ago. On visiting the trailer for the first time yesterday we found no power available. I wanted to test the slide again (it had problems at the dealer) but there was no power even for overhead lights. As a totally inexperienced RVer, I figured the problem was probably my misunderstanding of the basic systems and controls. I found no information in my manual ("Keystone generic" not "Keystone Passport") on the control panel or any battery disconnect switch. Several panel switches are unlabeled, but probably obvious to anyone with slightest experience. Keystone customer service could not direct me to a diagram for the Passport control panel or power up process. (Any advice where I might get such info specific to a new Passport?) I guess I will test the battery next. I'm shocked that the new battery from the dealer would be dead within 40 days with nothing turned on.

hankpage
11-06-2012, 11:03 AM
First ... Welcome to the forum.

Your trailer has what is called "parasitic drains" on your battery. (Propane leak detector, LCD readouts on radio, etc.) If you do a forum search on these subjects you will find many posts on dead batteries. If you have no ac power available at your storage facility you can put some charge into the battery with your running Tow vehicle (TV). Do not even try to operate your slides until the battery is FULLY charged and even then it is best if trailer is connected to your running TV or shore power. So take your battery home, charge it completely, return and connect it properly, connect to running TV and now try your slides. You may see that the problem at the dealer was a low battery in the first place. Hope this helps ... let us know, Hank

SteveC7010
11-06-2012, 11:41 AM
For the future, unless you can hook up the shore line while the trailer is in storage, it is always a good idea to disconnect the battery (or batteries) if you are going to be away from the rig for more than a few days.

The safest way to disconnect the battery is with a battery switch. Some rigs have them, some do not. They are not terribly expensive to install, and even better if you can install it yourself.

In the absence of a battery switch, disconnect the battery (or batteries) by removing the ground (- or negative) lead and tucking it out of the way where it can not accidentally touch the negative post of the battery. The battery cable is sufficiently large enough to be a bit springy when loose so you want to make double double sure that it won't find its way to the post. One of the reasons that marine/RV batteries have wing nuts on threaded posts is so that you can remove the cable(s) without a wrench.

SAABDOCTOR
11-06-2012, 01:21 PM
HI :wlcm: to the forum. if you are lucky enough to have a battery disconnect switch. make sure when it is in the off possition nothing in the trailer works. i have one in mine but it only disconects the slides:confused: go figure. i have all ways disconected the -(neg) terminal on others i have owend as steve has told you that works the best:D enjoy the new unit. and i have learned that the best source of help is right here on this forum!

Htfiremedic
11-08-2012, 11:52 AM
Second the Disconnect switch. My 5er has one and the only thing powered with the DC off is my GenSet.
Napa usually stocks disconnects, FYI.