PDA

View Full Version : RV clearance check

geo
11-05-2012, 04:08 PM
Just another reminder to know the clearance height of your RV. About half way through, is that a Montana? Plan to avoid this area in Durham, NC!

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=3c0_1351184890

Ron

Laredo291OH
11-05-2012, 08:08 PM
Hey Ron, I have seen that video on Youtube. Actually the bridge has it's own website... http://www.11foot8.com/

JRTJH
11-06-2012, 08:05 AM
Now this looks like an opportunity for a "shovel ready job" all it would take to fix this is to dig the roadway about 24" deeper then repave it. As for cost, it couldn't be much more than the insurance companies are currently paying in damages for all those truck/trailer combinations. Maybe they could get Allstate, Progressive and State Farm to fund the project..... :)

As for the fifth wheel, I have no doubt their day was simply a mess after that. Something to be said for taking the "high road," eh? :banghead:

therink
11-06-2012, 02:51 PM
At least the two fivers that didn't clear the bridge the first time will clear it the next time through. Lol

2011 keystone
11-06-2012, 06:11 PM
At least the two fivers that didn't clear the bridge the first time will clear it the next time through. Lol

Now this is a glass half full way of looking at this.LOL

Roller4Tan
11-06-2012, 06:23 PM
I came close to running into one in western New York. The sign said 11' 8". My Cougar says 12' + . Luckily there was a driveway to a small parking lot just before the railroad bridge that I was able to turn around in. I could envision in my mind those pictures on you tube...:eek:

jerseyphil
11-07-2012, 03:18 AM
My DW asked yesterday if I thought the height markings for bridges were accurate OR did I think they were slightly higher.

Since I haven't taken a tape measure to any, I figured I'd ask that question of other forum members.

Phil

schwalbach
11-07-2012, 04:56 AM
as a member of the trucking industry I can tell you none of them are right, New Yok supposedly posts the bridges a foot lower than they are, BUT are you willing to take a chance? Many are posted and then the road is repaved underneath and no one give a thought to the psoted sign. We tell our drivers if it is posted it is too close for comfort, the ones not posted have enough fudge factor built in. The posted ones at some point have had an issue with height and could be a issue. My rule is if it is posted in any way with height issues avoid it!

We have 2000 trucks on the road and almost every week we still have topped trailers. It is usually a rookie driver, who thought it looked okay BUT guess what it was not!

If it is posted don't chance it!

Blk_Adventurer
11-09-2012, 12:41 AM
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Can someone please provide the location in Durham?

Thanks

JRTJH
11-09-2012, 05:59 AM
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Can someone please provide the location in Durham?

Thanks

The low clearance is a railroad overpass and is adjacent to 190 South Gregson Street, Durham, NC. It's located just south of the intersection of West Main Street and West Peabody Street. The closest highway off-ramp would be exit 13 off the Durham Freeway.

If you want to see a "close location" You can mapquest (190 South Gregson Street, Durham, NC) and it should get you there.