PDA

View Full Version : Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Colorado

antiqfreq
05-03-2010, 04:11 PM
We will be going to Montrose, CO to visit friends - thinking of staying at Centennial RV park for 4 nights (near their house) then heading over to
Black Canyon of the Gunnison for 4 nights......

Anyone been to either of these places?

I know we can fit in at Black Canyon -but only to a few sites, so I am
told - any info?

Thanks,

Jo

Ruffus
05-04-2010, 02:51 AM
Jo
The area that you are going to is my old stomping grounds. A lot of the State and National forest camp grounds in Black Canyon that can be challenging to maneuver a large fifth wheel in but there are sites that will handle your rig. During the week is the best time to go because there is less traffic to contend with. You'll also find that if you are driving on a major road, state road, along any river there will be pull off campgrounds that will accommidate your rig very easily.
Jim B

antiqfreq
05-05-2010, 04:49 AM
Thanks for the info.

Getting on Reserve.gov they show 6 sites in loop B we can get in but 3 of them say no slides, too narrow; so that leaved 3 sites we'll fit in.

Also we can't make reservations till 5/21 and we are showing up 5/18......

We'll give it a shot and if we can't get in or no sites then we'll go outside
the park we have several options.

Have you ever stayed at El Portal at the Curecanti Rec area? It shows $8-9 a night with no hook ups?? Sounds pretty tempting!

Jo

Ruffus
05-05-2010, 02:28 PM
Jody
I can't remember what the areas that we use to occupy were called, it's been a couple years and I have slept since then, sorry.
Jim B.