PDA

View Full Version : Outback vs Springdale

dndweeks
11-04-2012, 03:07 PM
Now that I've finally got hubby on the RV bandwagon, we've begun shopping for a bunkhouse travel trailer (2 kids and 3 dogs, so really want a bunkhouse).

We looked at about 20 different RV's a couple weeks ago and the two we liked the best were the Outback 320BH and the Springdale 303 BHSSR.

I would like to hear from others who have own or have owned either of these trailers. I want to hear good and bad, so please share.

And if anyone wants to suggest another BH trailer we should check out, please share that as well.

Thanks.

Moderator's Note: This post was moved from the Travel Trailer section to here since the poster is a prospective owner and looking for input on these two models.

tomsws6
11-04-2012, 04:11 PM
Well I so have a springdale but its the 323bhs. Im not sure of the differences but we absolutlely love ours! No issues as of yet and very happy

ktmracer
11-04-2012, 07:26 PM
We have an outback, neighbor has a springdale. Both have pretty similar appliances etc. the springdales are a little more toward "entry level" vs. Outbacks, but I wouldn't let that alone sway my decision. Look at both carefully and pick the one that seems to fit what you wants/needs best. Neither of us has had any issues with the trailers, and overall basic construction seems similar.

FWIW there are 3 springdales and 3 outbacks in our community RV lot. All of the owners are happy with their trailers.

Out outback is a little over 2 years old, has 10K+ miles on it and have accumulated over 180 days of camping in it. Longest trips were 2K+ miles. So far the only problem was white spots that showed up on the alloy wheels just before the 1 year warranty expired. Dealer took pictures and a week late we had brand new wheels under warranty.

JRTJH
11-04-2012, 08:00 PM
Springdale is an "entry level" RV while Outback is a "mid level" RV. The most significant difference in the Springdale is the wooden frame and the aluminum siding. Outback has a metal frame (aluminum) and fiberglass/filon side walls. The appliances are essentially the same in both, cushions, fabric, carpeting, sheet vinyl, toilet, plumbing, electrical, converter/battery charger, windows, bedding is pretty much the same. There is some "upgraded" cabinetry in the Outback, however fit and finish are about the same.

We have a Springdale and when comparing the two at CW when we were looking, the Springdale had fewer "open seams" where pieces didn't fit, less putty smeared over staples and nails, fewer wrinkles in the wallpaper border, less obvious "mistakes" in throwing it together on the assembly line. Yes, they both are "quickly assembled" on an assembly line and suffer the consequences of such manufacturing processes. <sigh>

There are some differences in "luxury" features, but as with most any other product, the more expensive it is, the more trouble free you expect it to be. In your comparison of these two brands, you're looking at between $5000 and $10,000 more for the Outback. Compare them very carefully, you don't always get what you pay for, so compare wisely by looking at them side by side, feature for feature, thickness of cabinet doors, etc. I know the Springdale has a range hood that is vented outside. I do believe that Outback uses a vent free range hood. Do a quick search of today's topics and you'll see what that means when using your RV as an RV..... Yes even the type of range hood can be considered a "short cut" on quality when the RV is in use.

Either brand, if cared for properly will serve your family well. It's probably more important to find a floorplan and features that you need moreso than finding a "name on the front" that meets your expectations.

TAZ23
11-05-2012, 05:08 PM
We have the 2012 Outback 320BH. We bought it in march and have used it for 66 nights this past summer. We have had zero problems with it.
When we were looking at trailers on the dealer lots we noticed some seemed to be put together more carefully than others even though they were the same make and model.(We looked at a cougar 30fkv that had loose tape seams in several places and had obvious misalignment on several cupboard doors, and the 30fkv right next to it on the lot was put together much better and had no obvious flaws.) Maybe the first one was built on a monday:)
For that reason we like to see and buy trailers that are on a lot so we know how well they are put together. As others have said the Outback is a step up and as such will cost more.If that doesn't matter then you need to go with the floorplan and features you like best, and then just have fun with it.
Good luck and happy camping.

Outbackmel
11-06-2012, 08:18 AM
Well, here is my 2 cents. Floorplan, floorplan and floorplan. Almost everything else can be added or replaced fairly quickly. We selected our Outback 329FBH fifth wheel because it absolutely met our floorplan requirements. I was concerned with RV weight and wife's buy in. I had to convince her to allow me to sell her drop dead beautiful Chrysler Aspen SUV and buy a 2500 Dodge truck. In the deal, I commmitted to a new Ford Escape Limited (which she loves; whew!)

We JUST returned from The Good Sam Rally in Daytona Beach, FL this past weekend. We looked, looked and shopped and shopped and FOR US, we could not find a better RV to fit our needs. Again, floorplan. We were looking for either a 5er under mid $50's or a Bunk house motor home, gas, double or triple slide under $125,000. Came home with free gifts and all our cash in the bank unscathed...:)

Our aluminum framed Outback is safe in our care until next season. We'll see what changes life brings and decisions to be made. We did tour one RV we could have bought: 2013 Prevost, $1.8 million. Checked the bank statement and we were slightly short. Besides, heard the fuel ecomomy is not that good :jester:

CUFFS054
11-06-2012, 04:19 PM
Gotta agree about floor plan. Looked at two Springdales. Ended up with the 2010 291 because of the bigger kitchen and room for dishwasher. I actually "acted out" cooking,sitting,watching TV, and yes POOPING to make sure the 291 was a fit. I would spend time in each one and pretend to be a happy camper.Don't forget to check access to the bed!

tomsws6
11-06-2012, 05:43 PM
Gotta agree about floor plan. Looked at two Springdales. Ended up with the 2010 291 because of the bigger kitchen and room for dishwasher. I actually "acted out" cooking,sitting,watching TV, and yes POOPING to make sure the 291 was a fit. I would spend time in each one and pretend to be a happy camper.Don't forget to check access to the bed!

One of the reasons we took the springdale over a toyhauler was the rear bunk house with two slides in that room made for a huge kids room with a dinette, couch, two bunks and an amazing storage area. So "floorplan, floorplan, floorplan" is so true.

dndweeks
11-07-2012, 08:19 AM
Thanks for all the info and advice everyone.

Since we've only just started looking, we're not ready to buy yet. However, we really did like the floorplans of the Outback and Springdale.

Love the 'acting out' advice. On our next shopping trip I'm going to spend more time in each one we like the best and see how it feels to cook, watch t.v., etc.

Thanks again.

Philip Saran
11-24-2012, 11:34 AM
I own a Springdale that I'm very happy with.

The few Outbacks I saw had white cabinets which we did not like.

When we looked at our TT I commented to my wife it its a great
weekend unit, but lack of closet space would not make a very good
full time unit. We do not full time.

TAZ23
11-25-2012, 04:29 AM
I own a Springdale that I'm very happy with.

The few Outbacks I saw had white cabinets which we did not like.

When we looked at our TT I commented to my wife it its a great
weekend unit, but lack of closet space would not make a very good
full time unit. We do not full time.

The white cabinets were done away with at the end of last year. We did not like them either.

Badboy
11-25-2012, 04:54 AM
I would also look at the Cougar 29 RBK,it is a X-Lite.We have had a Outback 300 BH,now we have a Cougar 31 RKS and we like the Cougar brand over the Outback,more storage in the Cougar.Hop this will help you,good luck."bouncey:"bouncey:

tomsws6
11-25-2012, 06:56 PM
Heres my floorplan to give you an idea. Tons of storage and room.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlUOX8qXLtY