PDA

View Full Version : Replacing trim around storage doors

lc47
11-04-2012, 02:25 PM
I thought I could replace the old trim myself in the aluminum track around my outside storage doors. So I bought a package and when I tried to install it I couldn't get it to bend around the curves on the four corners. Is there a secret to doing that? Thanks!

SteveC7010
11-04-2012, 02:37 PM
I thought I could replace the old trim myself in the aluminum track around my outside storage doors. So I bought a package and when I tried to install it I couldn't get it to bend around the curves on the four corners. Is there a secret to doing that? Thanks!

DW's hairdryer.

lc47
11-04-2012, 02:49 PM
Thanks, assume the heat helps stretch it around the curves, right? Do you heat it before it is in the track or as you are putting it in? Thanks again.

SteveC7010
11-04-2012, 02:56 PM
Thanks, assume the heat helps stretch it around the curves, right? Do you heat it before it is in the track or as you are putting it in? Thanks again.

A little of both. It'll take a bit of practice to acquire a technique for yourself, but it's pretty easy. Don't over heat it and don't stretch it when it's warm.

lc47
11-04-2012, 02:57 PM
Great, thanks!!

JRTJH
11-04-2012, 07:14 PM
Steve is right on with his suggestion of using a hair dryer. He also states "don't stretch it and don't over heat it" Very good advice.

I would only add that when you get back to the starting point, cut the trim a little long and double it over itself. When it cools and sits for several days it will shorten somewhat. It's nice to have that little extra so it won't shrink too much which would cause you to have to start over.