PDA

View Full Version : Slicking up your power cord

kingji
11-04-2012, 05:46 AM
Ever had trouble pulling our your power cord from it's compartment? I found something that really helps and prevents it from notting up. Pull it all the way out, wipe all the dirt and grime off with a rag and spray it down with silicone spray and let it dry off of the ground. It really slicks it up. .
jimmy

SAD
11-04-2012, 05:53 AM
I'm glad our current RV has the detachable 50 amp cord with the marinco connector. I positively HATED wrestling any RV cord (50 or 30) into a mousehole.

Now I just disconnect it from the RV and toss it in the back of the truck.

If I had an RV with a mousehole and attached cord, I would convert it to a detachable.

Festus2
11-04-2012, 07:36 AM
I'm glad our current RV has the detachable 50 amp cord with the marinco connector. I positively HATED wrestling any RV cord (50 or 30) into a mousehole.

If I had an RV with a mousehole and attached cord, I would convert it to a detachable.

X2 There were several times where I swear that there was a gremlin living inside that mousehole who took great delight in tieing a knot in the power cord making it impossible for me to pull it out. Had to go inside, remove the panel, undo the knot, replace the panel........ :banghead:

Get a Marinco connector. "bouncey:

JRTJH
11-04-2012, 07:57 AM
The first mod I did on our Springdale was to convert the mousehole to a Marinco detachable power cord. The kit on Amazon.com was about $60. Not only does it eliminate tangled cords in little holes, but it also freed up a cabinet between the two chairs. I ordered a cabinet door from Keystone for about $30. Now we have an additional 2.5 or 3 cu ft of storage in that space. It's really convenient for quick access to big bulky "inside stuff" like water purifiers, coffee pots, etc.

kingji
11-04-2012, 04:48 PM
I almost did the Morinco conversion but held off for a while. Since I started dry lubing the cord it's not near as frustrating. Haven't had it tie itself in a not either.. so far. One of my concerns would be taking off on a trip and forgetting to load the cord from storage:eek:
jimmy

Festus2
11-04-2012, 05:04 PM
I can understand your concern but once you have the detachable cord, you pack it once and after each use put it back wherever you store it - in the truck, in the RV storage compartment, etc. For us, we just keep it stashed away in the the 5th wheel storage compartment along with lawn chairs and other "stuff".

If "slicking up" your power cord works for you then there doesn't seem like there would be any reason to change.

Little Guy
11-05-2012, 12:36 PM
King! Thanks for the great tip on slicking up the power cord. I used a silicone spray and let it dry...now I don't have to wrestle that cord out of the mouse hole, it slides out smooth. Great advice...thanks for sharing. Gotta love this forum!

gepaine
11-05-2012, 02:46 PM
Have had both types of power cord. I prefer the "mouse hole" type because it doesn't take up space in my basement, it's easier to just pull it out and hook it up, and I've never had a problem with it getting knotted up. However, I think I will use the silicon spray to make it a bit easier to slide in and out.

Greysquirrel
01-13-2013, 06:21 AM
The first mod I did on our Springdale was to convert the mousehole to a Marinco detachable power cord. The kit on Amazon.com was about $60. Not only does it eliminate tangled cords in little holes, but it also freed up a cabinet between the two chairs. I ordered a cabinet door from Keystone for about $30. Now we have an additional 2.5 or 3 cu ft of storage in that space. It's really convenient for quick access to big bulky "inside stuff" like water purifiers, coffee pots, etc.
Kit sounded good until I went on Amazon and it is now $114 and change. Think I will live with what I have for a while.

JRTJH
01-13-2013, 08:19 AM
WOW !!!! That's a heck of a price increase in the last 2.5 years. I did some quick checking and the kit is available on EBay for $84. That's not as cheap as I got my kit, but it's a bit cheaper than on Amazon.com.

You might even find it cheaper at some other online dealers. Do a google search for 30ARVKIT that's the Marinco part number for the conversion.

wgb1
01-13-2013, 01:16 PM
A good tip but that I'll try if I ever need to, but I have never had a problem with my cord. It slips out easily and slides back in very easy even when the weather is cold.

Mighty Ming
01-13-2013, 01:25 PM
Awesome tip never had a problem but will slick mine up ASAP to avoid one down the road. Tks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CampDestinations.com
01-14-2013, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the tip. I think I'll try that this season. It doesn't matter how careful I am, I often get that thing knotted up. I've had to take the mousehole cover off several times to have room to reach in and untangle things. I had started carrying a 30' extension so that when it gets knotted I can just use that and leave the main line in the hole.

hankpage
01-14-2013, 12:22 PM
Replacing the mouse hole with a larger electrical hatch gives much easier access to cord, no need to store it elsewhere and room for plug adapters too.
http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=267&pictureid=1344

I just noticed .. I must have had a few beers too many when I installed the label. ;)
You can see more photos in my thread " Good bye Mouse Hole (http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4938&highlight=mouse+hole) "

UsTwo
06-19-2013, 11:23 AM
I got a bit of a shock :eek: this last weekend when we were loading up to go camping. The wife was tying a small cord around the power cord knuckle, and had it tied off to the license plate frame.. Her reason was she didn't want to lose the power cord down in the mouse hole. Ok i understand that.. but i am NOT going to cut a larger hole in the camper and the cheapest 30ARVKIT conversion kit i could find on e-bay, amazon or any other place was $82.oo and change..i have the cord slicked up also.. SO with that,, anyone else come up with a way to keep your power cord from taking a dive down the mouse hole..just curious..(tx):thumbsup: :banghead:

theeyres
06-19-2013, 07:55 PM
Thanks for the tip. I will try it. I've had both the detachable cords and the mousehole and prefer the mouse hole so will try the silcone spray to make things easier.

AnnaK
06-20-2013, 03:20 AM
What a great tip! Thank you very much.

Our cord has wrapped itself around an elbow in the hot water tank and has to be manually untangled. I'll definitely try the silicone spray.

AnnaK
06-20-2013, 03:27 AM
SO with that,, anyone else come up with a way to keep your power cord from taking a dive down the mouse hole..just curious..(tx):thumbsup: :banghead:

Losing the plug inside the storage compartment was an issue with our previous trailer. We wrapped a piece of duct tape around the cord directly behind the plug, leaving a 6" tail. This was a piece 12" long and stuck to itself to leave that tail, can you picture it?

This tail we let stick out the mouse hole door when we locked it. That way, the plug couldn't disappear inside the compartment and nobody had to reach in and feel around for it . . . ugh!

Bob Landry
06-20-2013, 03:57 AM
The kit may or may not cover the hole. I bought the inlt and the end for the cord separately and made a mounting plate from a piece of scrap Starboard. A piece of a $3 cutting board from WalMart would have done the same thing.