PDA

View Full Version : Laredo 5ers

Ricky65
04-29-2010, 08:20 AM
Looking at the Laredo 5th wheel line-up, currently have a Jayco Eagle T.T., thinking of upgrading, if you want to call it an upgrade? I have a 2002 Chevy 2500 HD xtra cab, with 6' bed, 8.1 gas, with an Allison 5 spd. auto. 4.10 rear. hauling me, wife and 2 maybe 3 kids. total weight maybe 550/600 lbs. any things I need to be concerned with as far as weight, is the Laredo middle of the line for Keystone? Hitch? Slider? Any help would be appreciated, first time looking at 5th wheels, dont know much about them, but have heard good things. Not looking to upgrade truck though. Thanks a bunch, Ricky

Jim W
04-30-2010, 04:31 AM
Hi, and welcome to the forum, good luck with your choice of 5er.
I pull Cougar 318SAB and the dealer that I bought from does not handle the Laredo 5er, so I do not know much about them.
I did pull a Ameri-Camp F270RKS 5er that weighed close to 11,500 lbs with a hitch pin weight of 1700 LBS, with a 2001 2500HD Chevy Extend cab short box truck. This truck had the 6L gaser engine with the standard 6 sp auto and 3.73 gears. I got about 6 to 8 miles to the gal with a 26 gal tank could not get very far with out going in to a gas station to fill up. When filling up watch for overheads island canopies and were the gas station store is. Most gas station are not designed for a pick -up truck with a 5er's attached to them. You are close to 40+ ft long when towing.
I pulled my first 5er twice with the gaser and sold the truck for a Dodge Cummins Diesel 2500HD pick-up.
I also have a 15K Reese manual slider which I use every time, when I back up into a driveway or campground. I do not need to use the slider hitch when I turn corners in normal city driving with my set-up.
Jim