PDA

View Full Version : Lost escape window from 2004 Sprinter

ADBeason
10-27-2012, 05:04 PM
I am new to this forum, and I am sure that this question has been asked before. but here goes:

When we returned home from camping this past week, we discovered that we had lost the escape window from the bedroom section of the 5th wheel. We both thought it was clamped properly, but we were apparently wrong. The upper piano hinge is still there, but the window sash is gone.

Our question is this: If this has happened to you, how did you go about getting a replacement? Did you have to go through a dealer, or did you go straight to Keystone? Were you able to buy just the sash, or did you have to replace the entire window assembly?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Bluewater
10-27-2012, 05:55 PM
Sorry to hear this can happen. We had some crazy pass us on the interstate this summer going over 70 in his 5er rig and we could see his escape window flapping in the breeze. We wondered if they could fly off.
Now I will make sure mine is tight. Good luck and welcome.

trucker LOU
10-27-2012, 10:34 PM
HEY AD, I had my emer. window come open , but caught it before window was damaged. the blind was flapping outside and ruined. have since used a piece of electric wire twisted around the latch bracket ,could be undone rapidly if needed.

ADBeason
10-28-2012, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the tip. I will be sure to do something like that in the future, to be sure it doesn't happen again. (If I ever find a replacement window)

Festus2
10-28-2012, 02:52 PM
ADBeason -
If you check back in the Repairs and Maintenance section, there is a very recent thread submitted by Apostle titled "Busted Window". In the following discussion, there are numerous comments about replacing a window which you might find helpful.

CUFFS054
10-28-2012, 05:08 PM
This may answer a question I was going to post. My 2010 Springdale 291 has an "EXIT" window in the bedroom. The decal says FOR EMERGENCY EXIT ONLY but doesn't say if it can be opened for ventilation. It's got a full screen, complete with red tab, and is obviously hinged. I've been afraid to open it, but would sure would like to. Can I use it as a "window"?

maxx1963
10-28-2012, 05:18 PM
I had this exact problem, I had to order a whole new window from the dealer. Though I was able to just install the window on the hinge. I did not take out the frame

Str8shooter
10-28-2012, 09:35 PM
We also lost our emergency exit window from our Keystone Raptor in 2011. We check everything before we head out but there is no way to say 100% we had the window lever locked in place when we set out. I'm certain I wasn't the "crazy" person referred to (at least not at the time mentioned - hehe) since I never pull the 5'er more than 60 mph. I'm proof the window can blow out at slower speeds.

Anyway, we lost the entire window (not the frame), piano hinge including the day/night shade! I ordered a complete new window and frame from Camping World and had them install it. If I ever have the need to replace another window (although now I secure the latch with a Velcro wrap) I would install it myself and save lots of $$'s. By the way if you are still in warranty Keystone considers the loss "incidental" and will not cover it. It's simply your word you set the latch and that won't fly with Keystone. Obviously, if you secure the latch further with some wire or Velcro you will never have the problem.

One thing I've learned here is this type of problem happens far more than I thought.

Cuffs, in answer to your question, the emergency exit window is designed to be opened for ventilation. As you can see here if the latch is not fully secure when you're traveling. . .oops, you just may need a new window.

Happy travels!

JRTJH
10-28-2012, 09:36 PM
This may answer a question I was going to post. My 2010 Springdale 291 has an "EXIT" window in the bedroom. The decal says FOR EMERGENCY EXIT ONLY but doesn't say if it can be opened for ventilation. It's got a full screen, complete with red tab, and is obviously hinged. I've been afraid to open it, but would sure would like to. Can I use it as a "window"?

Yes you can open the exit window and use it as a "regular window" for ventilation. Just be sure to relock it or you may be looking for a replacement too. The slide handle at the bottom is what several posts on here are referring to when they say that they use wire or some other device to lock the window for travel. We use ours as a vent window all the time when dry camping. We do, however secure it before we travel.

Bushman512000
10-29-2012, 05:10 AM
I know a fellow camper that found a exit window in front of His house on a back high way.Now the rest of the story.Few days later He was out side and saw a 5er drive past the house with a taped up window.So He jumped in His truck and stoped the trailer down the road Yep it was His window Lucky or what and not a mark on it ...Strang but true...Bushman :D

CUFFS054
10-29-2012, 09:05 AM
Thanks for the replies! I had visions of unlatching it and watching it crash to the ground! I guess the screen should have been a clue...

2011 keystone
10-29-2012, 10:49 AM
I saw one fly out one time up close and personal as it smashed into the front of my car. the person pulling the trailer never new it was gone.

Quiroule
10-29-2012, 12:46 PM
I know of 2 persons who had the same problem. Since then, I use a rubber band to keep the latch in place.

The kind used to tie lobster’s claws works great for that.

Bushman512000
10-30-2012, 12:43 PM
Dam makeing Me hungry I like crab and frog legs also...lol...Bushman:D:D:D