PDA

View Full Version : Reese moving to Mexico

campingcpl
10-26-2012, 09:31 AM
We were just informed by a couple of friends earlier this week that are employeed by Cequent Group which makes the Reese brand trailer hitch's and is owned by TriMas Corporation that they are possibly closing the Goshen, Indiana plant and moving the production of the Reese product to a plant in Mexico. This move will cost almost 450 jobs in this area which has already been hit extremely hard by the recession. For as long as I can remember the Reese product has been made in the Elkhart/Goshen area. My dad worked for Reese back in the day and I have had many friends that have worked or working for the Reese company over the many years. It will be a sad day to see a company that people have depended on for a long time and has been a proud USA product get moved out of the country. Here are a couple of links to some news articals.

http://rvdailyreport.com/News/ctl/ArticleView/mid/427/articleId/23532/Reese-may-close-Goshen-plant-move-to-Mexico.aspx
http://www.southbendtribune.com/business/sbt-cequent-could-shut-plant-20121026,0,2253581.story
http://goshennews.com/local/x699456770/Goshens-Cequent-Performance-may-shut-its-doors

rrohrer
10-26-2012, 09:35 AM
sad. sorry for all those affected.

SAABDOCTOR
10-26-2012, 10:35 AM
my hart goes out to all the employees affected by this move. may the powers in charge choke on the extra proffits. yep unapproprate im sure but i hate seeing quality american products moved out of country:USA:

Jay D
10-26-2012, 10:58 AM
X10 saabdoctor

jdoug
10-26-2012, 01:39 PM
I too hate to see manufacturing leave the US, but, if it has to go, I'd rather see it go south than to the far east.

Doug

KJcachers
10-26-2012, 02:06 PM
Neither move is good for the country, only for the owners/stockholders of Reese. Sad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maxx1963
10-26-2012, 02:37 PM
That really pisses me off, Reese is one of those brands you think you could depend on to always be made in the good ol' U.S of A. I to feel sorry for the employees. But to the owners, what goes around comes around bitches!!!

LeeMedic
10-26-2012, 02:41 PM
We were just informed by a couple of friends earlier this week that are employeed by Cequent Group which makes the Reese brand trailer hitch's and is owned by TriMas Corporation that they are possibly closing the Goshen, Indiana plant and moving the production of the Reese product to a plant in Mexico. This move will cost almost 450 jobs in this area which has already been hit extremely hard by the recession. For as long as I can remember the Reese product has been made in the Elkhart/Goshen area. My dad worked for Reese back in the day and I have had many friends that have worked or working for the Reese company over the many years. It will be a sad day to see a company that people have depended on for a long time and has been a proud USA product get moved out of the country. Here are a couple of links to some news articals.

http://rvdailyreport.com/News/ctl/ArticleView/mid/427/articleId/23532/Reese-may-close-Goshen-plant-move-to-Mexico.aspx
http://www.southbendtribune.com/business/sbt-cequent-could-shut-plant-20121026,0,2253581.story
http://goshennews.com/local/x699456770/Goshens-Cequent-Performance-may-shut-its-doors

Thank Obamacare for that. I see many more jobs being shipped overseas.

Bluewater
10-26-2012, 06:11 PM
Buy american !!

cjensen91910
10-27-2012, 05:10 AM
Obama has nothing to do with it,,,we do!! Stop buying by cheap price and buy American and the plants will stop moving!!

mikell
10-27-2012, 06:01 AM
I don't really see them moving I think they want tax abatements. Mexico isn't all that cheap anymore. China labor is now equal to $20 an hour US labor so more companies are moving back. Mexico quality is much better than China though I still don't think it's a money maker to move

ewkearns
02-18-2013, 12:59 PM
Thank Obamacare for that. I see many more jobs being shipped overseas.

If that were true, why are almost all of the jobs being shipped overseas to countries with SOCIALIZED MEDICINE. :confused:

davidjsimons
02-18-2013, 01:30 PM
Businesses are in business to provide a quality product or service at a reasonable profit. It is not the place of government to be the arbitrator of what is reasonable. Nor is a business obligated to provide jobs. Where the problem lies is with a government whose policies do not encourage business investment. We were fourth in the world only four years ago for having policies that encouraged business ownership. Today, we are number eighteen in the world. You want to know why businesses are leaving? This is not a right or left issue. This is a result of one party that spends too much and another party that tries to spend even more. The government doesn't believe that there is a spending problem, just a problem with deficit reduction. Try telling that to your banker and see what they tell you. I guess the bigger issue is that they believe that we are so dumb that we would actually buy a BS line like that. I'm sorry to hear about Reese moving, but don't just blame Reese. As a consumer, the choice is yours as to what you do or do not purchase. Shouldn't we also have a free and open market which would encourage growth?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

x96mnn
02-18-2013, 02:29 PM
Buy american !!

+1 From me here...more of a buy local!

Bob Landry
02-18-2013, 04:42 PM
Businesses are in business to provide a quality product or service at a reasonable profit. It is not the place of government to be the arbitrator of what is reasonable. Nor is a business obligated to provide jobs. Where the problem lies is with a government whose policies do not encourage business investment. We were fourth in the world only four years ago for having policies that encouraged business ownership. Today, we are number eighteen in the world. You want to know why businesses are leaving? This is not a right or left issue. This is a result of one party that spends too much and another party that tries to spend even more. The government doesn't believe that there is a spending problem, just a problem with deficit reduction. Try telling that to your banker and see what they tell you. I guess the bigger issue is that they believe that we are so dumb that we would actually buy a BS line like that. I'm sorry to hear about Reese moving, but don't just blame Reese. As a consumer, the choice is yours as to what you do or do not purchase. Shouldn't we also have a free and open market which would encourage growth?

Your logical and non-emotional based response was refreshing. Obama care is partly responsible, but that's not all of it. As stated, business does not exist to create jobs. it exists to create revenue and profit for it's owners and investors and job creation is a by product for that. I know business owners who are planning layoffs and scaling back rather than be forced to close because of the economic implications of the current administration's policies. Add to that the increased tax implications for small business and all of the regulations coming down the pike, for many it's move or close. I can tell you that as a business owner, when my cost of business increases, I have a choice to absorb it or pass it down. Often it's a matter of deciding how much can be absorbed and still be able to produce a quality AND affordable product. When it gets so that I have to absorb more than I can pass down, then I'll have to make the same decisions. The bottom line of any business is to create profit.

SAD
02-18-2013, 04:45 PM

Your logical and non-emotional based response was refreshing. Obama care is partly responsible, but that's not all of it. As stated, business does not exist to create jobs. it exists to create revenue and profit for it's owners and investors and job creation is a by product for that. I know business owners who are planning layoffs and scaling back rather than be forced to close because of the economic implications of the current administration's policies. Add to that the increased tax implications for small business and all of the regulations coming down the pike, for many it's move or close. I can tell you that as a business owner, when my cost of business increases, I have a choice to absorb it or pass it down. Often it's a matter of deciding how much can be absorbed and still be able to produce a quality AND affordable product. When it gets so that I have to absorb more than I can pass down, then I'll have to make the same decisions. The bottom line of any business is to create profit.

Bingo! Agreed.

hankpage
02-18-2013, 08:33 PM
We are sure that everyone has an opinion on this subject, but none of them really have anything to do with RVs and camping. Many of our members are not from the States and may take offense to some of the statements being made. We (The moderators) have watched this thread hoping that it would not take a turn towards politics as it seems to be. There are several subjects that we avoid on this forum and doing so seems to keep everyone friendly, politics is high on that list. Yes, we are living in frustrating times and the Internet is a great place to vent but this forum is not the place. (Unless RV related)

We hope you all agree that we have a good thing here and these rules help. Let us all try to get this thread back on track. Thanks in advance, YOUR Moderators

jsmith948
02-19-2013, 06:56 AM
Thank you, Hankpage!(tx)

campingcpl
02-19-2013, 09:21 AM
Here is an update on the closing! As from what I have been told by my friends that work there, they have begun the layoff process. They are laying off in blocks and are starting with more of the none essential personnel and employees that do not have seniority. The largest round will be coming in the next couple of months. By mid summer the rest will be done (some office and maintence personnel will be the last to go). I have also been told that they have already started dismantaling some of the equipment and prepairing it for the move. My heart goes out to all the employees that will be losing their jobs. I do worry about my friends that work there and hope that they are able to find other jobs quickly. We still are not seeing a large job market in this area with our unemployment still being near 9%.