PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have a ladder on a sprinter 311?

aclay
10-24-2012, 04:31 AM
I want a ladder on my new TT and the dealer will install one, but I can't find a pic of one anywhere. For those that don't have a ladder, do you clean out the top of your slides each time you pull them in? How do you clean the roof?

SAABDOCTOR
10-24-2012, 05:52 AM
My unit has a ladder but you won't see my fat butt on it. i put a real step ladder in the bed of the truck. that thing on the back of my camper is a place to hang towels to dry."bouncey:

Outbackmel
10-24-2012, 07:06 AM
CW sells a very compact sliding ladder that will collapse and stow in your compartments. I have a mounted factory ladder and still carry a 6 ft fiberglass ladder stowed. Check out options on line.
I do not check each and every time for debris on the roof. At the beach and places with few nearby trees and no blowing pine cones, etc., never an issue. In a place like most state parks, YES.
I carry a battery powered blower and the long RV wash brush and between those, using a step stool, I can remove any debris easily without climbing high on potentially wet and slippery roof (dew).
This works well for me. Going up on the roof a couple of times a year is plenty for me. A friend recently fell off his while washing the roof. Fortunately he is ok at age 72, but still had to be hospitalized. Just words from experience.

KanTC
10-24-2012, 10:06 AM
Here's a previous thread about adding a rear ladder to Sprinter models --

http://keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7997

As an added note, the current standards/options for the Sprinter no longer shows a rear ladder as
an option (not that I could find). So, depending on the model year, your trailer may not have the
necessary rear wall supports built-in... in that case, adding a ladder may do more harm than good.

Just some food for thought before you spend the extra $$ ;)

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot :)

hankpage
10-24-2012, 10:54 AM
My Cougar has a ladder and my corpulent body uses it very gingerly. (as mentioned above, I also don't trust it) I carry a colapsable 12' ladder but most of the time I use the bed and side-wall of the truck to reach the slide roof and use a rechargable leaf blower to blow off debris and water if raining.

If my trailer did not come with a ladder I would use the money to buy a GOOD portable RV ladder instead. JM2¢, Hank

Mighty Ming
10-24-2012, 11:14 AM
Good advice on a stand alone type ladder. My Sprinter is an 2006 and has a factory installed ladder. I weigh 190-195 ( depending on how much beer I've had) so even at my 'fighting weight' I don't trust the ladder much. I do use it but I'm very careful when doing so. The last TT didn't have one and I always wanted to install one to keep from having yo use a stand alone ladder. Now that I have a mounted ladder, I'm glad I didn't spend the money on the last TT. I would have done the install myself but knowing now... I would put my money towards a stand alone model in a heart beat. My choice would be a collapsible model. Besides it keeps you off the roof unless necessary. Good luck on your choice... Either way Just tread lightly and be careful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Outbackmel
10-24-2012, 03:29 PM
Hows that work'n 4 ya? I am considering it.

I think we all gave this thread all of the ladder wisdom we have to share. I certainly agree that unless the factory installs it, I darn sure would avoid it. Those rear walls be mighty thin.

aclay
10-25-2012, 07:05 PM
Thanks for all the insights, no on the ladder, I'm going to get a nice folding job.

rrohrer
10-25-2012, 07:30 PM
I take a stepladder with. Not sure if necessary, but i always go up and brush up debris off slide before bringing it in. Worry that a stick or something will get jammed in there. I don't get on the camper roof to do it. Just the ladder and reach with a broom.