PDA

View Full Version : Long Term Camper Use

pmcpherson
10-23-2012, 01:43 PM
I use my 318SAB set as my home when I am working. My current assignment will have me here in Alabama for at least 1 year. Should I lift the camper off the tires? If so, any sugestions on how and what I should do to support the camper. Any ideas are welcomed. I still very new to RV living and am open to suggestions.

Thanks

hankpage
10-23-2012, 02:02 PM
Most are stored on their tires so I can't see any difference. It may be more stable if blocked up but I would think you will be fine as long as you cover the tires and keep them aired up. Radials don't flat-spot like biased plys used to. JM2¢, Hank

Exsailor
10-23-2012, 02:22 PM
lifting it completely off the tires would be tough and might even harm the frame. I put down the "legs" until it takes some of the weight off the tires, but no more. just my opinion...

SteveC7010
10-23-2012, 03:34 PM
Many RV owners who have their units in seasonal or other long term camp sites will use concrete blocks to stabilize the trailer. Usually they will place 8 or more pillars under the frame spaced out from front to rear. Some remove the wheels and tires completely once the trailer is sitting soundly on the pillars.

With many of the Keystone units having the enclosed belly packages, it may take a bit of ingenuity to place blocks directly under the frame rails, but is probably not very difficult.

One other thing to consider in siting a trailer permanently or semi-permanently is the need for anchoring in areas that are prone to hurricanes and other storm conditions.

Perhaps the best source of information on this type of setup would be available from someone who sites manufactured housing (read mobile homes) on a regular basis.

If it were me, I'd be using either concrete blocks or wooden cribbing at multiple points under the frame rails to make the trailer as stable as possible.

mhs4771
10-23-2012, 04:08 PM
Since you'll be sitting for at least a year, I think the idea of blocking up the unit would be a good idea. Don't think you have to get the tires off the ground, but if you could get at least a little weight off the suspension would be good. I would use cement blocks or wood cribbing. Not that hard, I'd put two in front of the axles and two behind to support the bulk of the weight, then another set at the back and maybe a set just behind the landing gear. As mentioned, folks that have permanent or seasonal sites do it all the time.

hankaye
10-23-2012, 08:52 PM
pmcpherson, Howdy;

As a fulltimer, I have used some of these and so have some of the others
that I know.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-jacks/camper-jacks.htm

I just use 1 pair in front of the wheels and 1 behind .
If they aren't tall enough stack some 12" long 2x4's like # (only squared-up),
aka cribbing. You just want them snug, really snug. and you'll be fine.
Get some covers for the tires and call a local propane co. and have them
set a 125 gallon tank (cheaper prices), and use yor regular tanks emerg.
back-ups. Don't forget to put some skirting up. helps keep some of the colder
air out, not all, but some.

hankaye

mikell
10-24-2012, 04:54 AM
I have a workers campground and nearly everyone has spare jacks that they level out and take the bounce out with. I get so much blocking I don't pick it up any more I just stack it next to the trees for the next guy. Treated 2x10 under the tires to give them some support and the same under the jacks..