PDA

View Full Version : Water damage

koup
10-20-2012, 07:16 PM
I need help. I have a 2005 Mountaineer and I recently noticed the subfloor was weak on the left side of the 5th wheel at the steps leading to the upper level. Upon further investigation I discovered the subfloor was very wet. The moisture is contained to a small area to the left of the stairs and underneath the stairs. The only thing I have on this side of the trailer is the toilet and outdoor shower. I have looked all around the area and there is no indication of a water leak anywhere. When the slide is retracted it parks in the area of the damage. I used a water hose on the slide and there is no leak. Has anyone experienced this issue? Does anyone have any ideas where this water is coming from? The interior wall has a vent plumed through it and checking the roof there is no way water can get in.

hankaye
10-20-2012, 07:33 PM
koup, Howdy;

Is the connection for your Black tank flush near the same area?????
I'd look to see if the vacuum-breaker/check-valve is still intact.They
like to hide in the vanity.....

Personal experience...

hankaye

koup
10-20-2012, 07:48 PM
For the quick reply. Yes the black holding tank is nearby. Can you explain how to check the vacuum-breaker/check-valve please. My tank lives just below the floor joists and obviously the subfloor on top. If this valve is not intact can the contents splash to the subfloor? I'm just trying to understand all possibilities.

koup
10-20-2012, 07:53 PM
I just read your post again. The vanity is on the other side of the trailer. I only have the toilet and outdoor shower on the left side where the damage is. I think something has been leaking for a while but I'm not sure.

hankaye
10-21-2012, 08:00 AM
koup, Howdy;

I just read your post again. The vanity is on the other side of the trailer. I only have the toilet and outdoor shower on the left side where the damage is. I think something has been leaking for a while but I'm not sure.

I said "they like to hide in the vanity." Not that they are always in the vanity...
I found mine behind a false wall in a cabinet under the entertainment system.
about 6" from where the flush system water line came into the RV. Mine is an
'08 Couger, yours is different, most are different, look around. Mine was clear plastic, some are black plastic.

Water migrates to the low point then settles. Could be commin' from a source anywhere 'uphill' from the wet spot.....

Get in there and look around ... :)

hankaye

koup
10-21-2012, 04:54 PM
After taking a second look at the roof vent from the black holding tank my brother noticed a small are that never had any caulking on it. Used a spray nozzle on a garden hose and it leaked away to the area of concern. Now to repair the damage. Thank you Hankaye for your suggestions.

hankaye
10-21-2012, 07:13 PM
koup, Howdy;

Glad to hear it is a simple as re-chaulking
the vent... :)

hankaye