PDA

View Full Version : Free-standing dining chairs and DSI Tank?

adVentureMan
10-18-2012, 06:15 AM
Getting a new Cougar 327RES and got some questions:

1. How are people securing their free-standing dining room chairs while on the road? I've RV'ed a lot but always had a dinette. My guess is to take some soft rope and use it to secure the chair legs to the pedestal table, but seems like there would still be a lot o movement resulting in rub marks on the table and chair and possibly the chair backs hitting our day/night curtains?

2. In our Cougar, we have a "DSI" Suburban gas hot water tank. On our control panel there is a button to "turn on(off) DSI HWT". Turning it on or off is no problem, but I cannot figure out if there is anyway to have the HWT powered by ONLY electricity, or ONLY gas. It sounds like the gas is being used.....and since I've already paid for electricity in our typical campground, I'd much prefer using that, not the expensive LP.

Thanks for any help!

hankpage
10-18-2012, 07:33 AM
Getting a new Cougar 327RES and got some questions:

1. How are people securing their free-standing dining room chairs while on the road? I've RV'ed a lot but always had a dinette. My guess is to take some soft rope and use it to secure the chair legs to the pedestal table, but seems like there would still be a lot o movement resulting in rub marks on the table and chair and possibly the chair backs hitting our day/night curtains?

2. In our Cougar, we have a "DSI" Suburban gas hot water tank. On our control panel there is a button to "turn on(off) DSI HWT". Turning it on or off is no problem, but I cannot figure out if there is anyway to have the HWT powered by ONLY electricity, or ONLY gas. It sounds like the gas is being used.....and since I've already paid for electricity in our typical campground, I'd much prefer using that, not the expensive LP.

Thanks for any help!

#1 I converted to a free standing dinette and don't secure the chairs and they ride fine. I would imagine from the factory they would supply some sort of strap to hold them down ....... my swivel rockers came with these and we never use them.

#2 The electric element can be turned on in the outside W/H compartment. On the lower left hand corner of the heater is a small black switch that should have a safety pin through it. If the tank is full turn it on and then turn on the circuit breaker in the power panel. Be sure if you empty the W/H that this switch is off or the element will be ruined..
We use both gas and electric for showers and just electric the rest of the time.

Hope this helps, Hank

jerseyphil
10-18-2012, 07:51 AM
My unit came with a strap to go around the legs of all 4 chairs. I worried about the backs of the chairs hitting each other, so I put a towel in between.

Regarding the water heater, I agree with Hankpage. If more than 1 person will shower, i switch on the gas, otherwise I use electric only when connected to shore power.

Phil

66ken
10-18-2012, 12:34 PM
I removed the screws holding the table to the floor. When traveling, I lay it on its top and tie the chair legs to the pedestal.

mike9661
10-18-2012, 01:32 PM
66KEN Do you screw it back each time or leave the screws out. I think when it is screwed down there is not a whole lot of room to sit.

66ken
10-18-2012, 01:42 PM
I leave the screws out. Much easier to sit around if you can move it some.

dakingsella
10-18-2012, 01:51 PM
On my 2012 327RES, I have removed the screws securing the table, it was impossible to use it otherwise. I leave the table and chairs unsecured when traveling and have never had any damage. They seem to be sitting where I put them at the end of the trip. I think the shag carpet holds them pretty steady.

Happy Camping!

jbsmith
10-18-2012, 03:30 PM
The free standing dinette should include a nylon strap with a plastic snap. We just wrap the strap around the bottom of the chairs and table. We get no significant movement of the table/chairs. I often just spin the two recliners back to back and they ride nicely as well.

Be sure you have the dealer show you how the table slides back and forth on the pedestal base. Also, that footrest under the J couch has fold out legs to convert it to an ottoman and coffee table.

blackty
10-18-2012, 03:43 PM
Ya know, that table is always the first thing I show everyone when they come into the camper. Pretty cool...Jim

adVentureMan
10-20-2012, 04:55 AM
#1 I converted to a free standing dinette and don't secure the chairs and they ride fine. I would imagine from the factory they would supply some sort of strap to hold them down ....... my swivel rockers came with these and we never use them.

#2 The electric element can be turned on in the outside W/H compartment. On the lower left hand corner of the heater is a small black switch that should have a safety pin through it. If the tank is full turn it on and then turn on the circuit breaker in the power panel. Be sure if you empty the W/H that this switch is off or the element will be ruined..
We use both gas and electric for showers and just electric the rest of the time.

Hope this helps, Hank

Thanks. I had forgotten about that switch outside, but discovered it yesterday while I was poking around. The FW I traded had a switch to turn on the electric to the heater, with another switch to turn on the DSI (gas) to the heater. Both were inside, and convenient. What the Cougar has is what our first FW (A Wildcat 27RL) had.....not as convenient, but I will get used to turning the elec switch off when we break camp, then on again when we set up camp. I find that as easy as popping the circuit breaker inside, but I do see a benefit to using the CB to control the elec to the WH.....especially if it's raining outside! Of course, we could always use the gas which is easily switched on inside.

adVentureMan
10-20-2012, 05:03 AM
#1 I converted to a free standing dinette and don't secure the chairs and they ride fine.......

Really? The chairs are not secured yet they don't move when you're on the road? I can't imagine!:cool:

For our first towing of about 30 miles, I used a soft rope to tie one leg of each chair (leg closest to the pedestal on the table) to the pedestal. Then another soft-tie at the top of each chair "pair" to secure the pair on each side of the table. That seemed okay for 30 miles, but I am concerned the chairs will rub against the table pedestal and each other and make worn spots. My main concern, however, is any damage they will make hitting the window shades and valances....that would be more difficult to repair. There is NO way to secure the chairs from Keystone, at least there are no tie down points, etc. They did include an extra strap, identical to what the recliners use, but that is worthless for the four dinning room chairs! I really, really wanted a dinette (i.e., no free standing table and four chairs), but we never saw one FW that had one! We sure miss the wonderful storage that we had under the dinette bench seats!:(

adVentureMan
10-20-2012, 05:09 AM
The free standing dinette should include a nylon strap with a plastic snap. We just wrap the strap around the bottom of the chairs and table. We get no significant movement of the table/chairs. I often just spin the two recliners back to back and they ride nicely as well.

Be sure you have the dealer show you how the table slides back and forth on the pedestal base. Also, that footrest under the J couch has fold out legs to convert it to an ottoman and coffee table.

My salesman didn't even know about the sliding top of the dinette table! My wife found a reference to it in the Cougar Brochure, otherwise we'd not know it was there! I wonder if they folks complaining about no room around the table don't know about the sliding table top, or if this is a new feature of the table? If the top did not slide, the dining room table would be unuseable, at least for my belly!:o

I really cannot imagine not securing the four dinning room chairs, but many here apparently do not, and have no problems. I am very concerned about the chairs bouncing around and doing damage to the windows in the dinette area. I've only towed 30 whole miles, so I will probably experiment with diffrent methods of securing the four chairs.

Ayotte
10-20-2012, 06:10 AM
we have ajustable straps and rings on the floor. Hook into rings and go over the seats of two chairs and snug up. Also move rocker in front of one by door and tie the two of them together. Didn't do this once and when we opened the door found the chair tiped upside down.

hankpage
10-20-2012, 08:23 AM
Really? The chairs are not secured yet they don't move when you're on the road? I can't imagine!:cool:
:(

Like I said , we don't secure the chairs. We only have two chairs and in 2500 mi. they haven't gone anywhere. (And if you listen to the DW I drive it like I stole it) We do however store our breakable appliances in that area while traveling. (toaster-oven, coffee-maker, sewing machine ... you get the idea) so there really is not much room for the chairs to stretch their legs.(pun intended) I don't know how the factory tables are set up but if I were concerned about the chairs causing damage I would try to lay them down somehow or bungee them together with a pillow in between. Bungees or Velcro don't loosen like straps and rope. As for securing them a Footmans loop (http://images2.mcmaster.com/Contents/gfx/large/8030t12p1l.png?ver=15071815) (AKA webbing guide) like they supply for the rockers attached to the floor with SHORT screws would barely be noticeable.

rhagfo
10-20-2012, 12:41 PM
So I leave the outside switch on all the time, use the CB, I also set the T-stat for gas a bit lower than electric, that way I get a gas boost when really cold.

As for the chairs we don't strap them down, drive some ugly roads don't seem to have any issues always were we left them.

adVentureMan
10-21-2012, 05:17 AM
we have ajustable straps and rings on the floor. Hook into rings and go over the seats of two chairs and snug up. Also move rocker in front of one by door and tie the two of them together. Didn't do this once and when we opened the door found the chair tiped upside down.

Ah HA! I bet that's how the dining room chairs are supposed to be secured, but sounds like most of our FWs do not have the D rings. I have none around the dining room table, but I do have two sets on the deck below the recliners. I will add a two sets of D rings to secure the two pair of dining room chairs when I get the time. Thanks for posting.

adVentureMan
10-21-2012, 05:21 AM
Like I said , we don't secure the chairs. We only have two chairs and in 2500 mi. they haven't gone anywhere. (And if you listen to the DW I drive it like I stole it) We do however store our breakable appliances in that area while traveling. (toaster-oven, coffee-maker, sewing machine ... you get the idea) so there really is not much room for the chairs to stretch their legs.(pun intended) I don't know how the factory tables are set up but if I were concerned about the chairs causing damage I would try to lay them down somehow or bungee them together with a pillow in between. Bungees or Velcro don't loosen like straps and rope. As for securing them a Footmans loop (http://images2.mcmaster.com/Contents/gfx/large/8030t12p1l.png?ver=15071815) (AKA webbing guide) like they supply for the rockers attached to the floor with SHORT screws would barely be noticeable.

Good ideas, Hank. And storing all that stuff around the chairs probably keeps them from moving around much as you say. We will do that when we head back home in another 3 weeks or so. I probably won't install the D rings as I mentioned in another post for awhile.

adVentureMan
10-21-2012, 05:22 AM
So I leave the outside switch on all the time, use the CB, I also set the T-stat for gas a bit lower than electric, that way I get a gas boost when really cold.

As for the chairs we don't strap them down, drive some ugly roads don't seem to have any issues always were we left them.

Either of our techiques will prevent frying the elec element in the hot water heater!:eek: I like the idea about the T-stat............

SAD
10-21-2012, 05:36 AM
The free standing dinette should include a nylon strap with a plastic snap. We just wrap the strap around the bottom of the chairs and table. We get no significant movement of the table/chairs. I often just spin the two recliners back to back and they ride nicely as well..

exactly what we do with the table and recliners.

Some have indicated that the free standing dinette seems "tight"... It's only me and my wife, so we left two dinette chairs in the house. Much better space for us to eat.

Brantlaker
10-21-2012, 09:05 AM
At first my wife and I secured them with the tie down belt supplied then we forgot one day and drive 300 miles unsecured one chair moved and was hitting the countertop we put a towel in between and never secured them again. from Chicago,IL to Lake George,NY no movement only that one chair.Since then I have put a 12in piece of foam pipe insulation split length wise on the chair back.

billstuart
10-21-2012, 09:31 AM
In our Alpine, with the slides in, the table and chairs are contained by the outside wall and the kitchen peninsula side-to-side and the forward slide wall and the couch fore & aft, so they really have nowhere to go. Add to that the fact that they're basically right over the axles and everything stays put with no tie-downs. We do drape a towel over the end of the table so that it doesn't chafe on the peninsula, though.

Happy trails,

adVentureMan
10-22-2012, 04:24 AM
In our Alpine, with the slides in, the table and chairs are contained by the outside wall and the kitchen peninsula side-to-side and the forward slide wall and the couch fore & aft, so they really have nowhere to go. Add to that the fact that they're basically right over the axles and everything stays put with no tie-downs. We do drape a towel over the end of the table so that it doesn't chafe on the peninsula, though.

Happy trails,

Thanks all for the replies. I think we will do a version of the above, and try to locate another strap (one for the dining room is in the FW, the other missing) and install two pair of D-rings to secure the chairs along with some padding as you described.

Thanks.

Bushman512000
10-23-2012, 07:14 AM
I was told a c-breaker is not to be used as a switch any one hear that I just think it is not a big deal to turn off out side before the trip down the road.Just 2 of Us so leave 2 chairs home and never tie them down and never have them move or so it seams.Bushman :D

adVentureMan
10-24-2012, 04:34 AM
I was told a c-breaker is not to be used as a switch any one hear that I just think it is not a big deal to turn off out side before the trip down the road.Just 2 of Us so leave 2 chairs home and never tie them down and never have them move or so it seams.Bushman :D

I don't think there is more risk switching a circuit breaker on the panel inside or the ON/OFF switch located on the hot water tank itself.

Cannot talk my wife into leaving two chairs at home, dang it. Sure would provide storage for my guitar or whatever once we set up camp.

SteveC7010
10-24-2012, 05:57 AM

We used the water heater circuit breaker as a switch on the Sunline for 11 years without a problem. Admittedly, we dry camped quite a bit but it still got a workout on some trips.

Over at my ambulance station, the building was never remodeled so the lighting in the squad room and the ambulance bays has no switches on the circuits. The panel is right by the entry door so we just flip the breakers on or off as we enter or leave. The air conditioner circuit is handled the same way but doesn't get as much use.

But some folks feel that adding a switch is necessary. For those that do, I recommend that they purchase a switch that has a built in indicator light and to locate the switch where it can be easily seen.

adVentureMan
10-25-2012, 05:30 AM
For those that do, I recommend that they purchase a switch that has a built in indicator light and to locate the switch where it can be easily seen.

Well, that leave ME out!:)

The switch on the hot water tank outside is difficult to see and reach, and there sure ain't no light on it! Still, I prefer that switch to controlling electricity to it over the CB, probably because that's the habit I developed on the other FW I had with a similar arrangement......just added the "HWT Switch On/Off" to the Arrival/Departure Checklist. Another plus is my poor back doesn't need to be bent to use the outside switch.....the CB panel is near the floor. :o

Devildogmom
10-30-2012, 04:28 AM
My unit came with a strap to go around the legs of all 4 chairs. I worried about the backs of the chairs hitting each other, so I put a towel in between.

Regarding the water heater, I agree with Hankpage. If more than 1 person will shower, i switch on the gas, otherwise I use electric only when connected to shore power.

Phil

This summer when we were camping at a 30 amp site we tried using electric for the water heater. Everytime the water heater would kick on while the a/c was running the breaker would trip outside. So, we went back to using gas for the water heater.

Bushman512000
10-30-2012, 12:33 PM
I don't think there is more risk switching a circuit breaker on the panel inside or the ON/OFF switch located on the hot water tank itself.

Cannot talk my wife into leaving two chairs at home, dang it. Sure would provide storage for my guitar or whatever once we set up camp.

But what do I know not a Electrican also turn off the outside switch wouls be cheeper than a breaker replacement right?The Wife and Me get to Holdenwald every fall and also spring is German town near there sounds like We been there also..love Mississippi,Ten,and the coon a$$ state lol have friends that have a camp ground just off the Trace...Bushman :D

Bushman512000
10-30-2012, 12:40 PM
This summer when we were camping at a 30 amp site we tried using electric for the water heater. Everytime the water heater would kick on while the a/c was running the breaker would trip outside. So, we went back to using gas for the water heater.

Think a weak breaker We are 30amp and run the same also fridge never triped a box breaker yet I always check for low voltage or high I have a surge box that does that before I plug in the 5er Bushman:eek:

adVentureMan
10-31-2012, 05:05 AM

If your 30 amp CB was tripping outside, at the 30 amp connection, that meant your rig was drawing over 30 amps.....odd, as the AC and hotwater heater (elec) should not have drawn that much, unless maybe they both cut on at the same time.......

It amazes me how some models are really "wired" weird. In our last FW, a Crossroads cruiser (30 amp), they had the AC, microwave and kitchen outlet all on the same circuit breaker. You had to remember to turn off the AC if you wanted to brew coffee or use the microwave!

Our Cougar 327 seems to be very intelligently wired, at least we have not had any issues like that so far. And we are using only the hot water heater on electric to save costs. Of course, it is a 50 amp rig, and we're plugged into a 50 amp circuit, but it's what's on the individual CB that matters. I believe the hot water CB is only for the hot water heater, as it was in our Crossroads Cruiser 30SK.

On the Cougar, we have tested our CB panel by turning on the main and bedroom AC at the same time (with the elec water heater on elec) to see if a breaker would go off.....ok so far. I suspect if someone turned the microwave on at the precise moment the ACs started we'd probably "blow a fuse".:eek:

smiller
10-31-2012, 09:06 AM
I'm not sure why everyone is turning off the water heater power switch when departing and arriving... there is no AC power applied when you are travelling so it doesn't matter what position the switch is in. When I depart I turn off the breaker at the pedestal, remove my shore power cord, and do the reverse when I arrive. There's no need to turn the water heater on and off as a separate operation.

Brantlaker
10-31-2012, 11:59 AM
I do the same, but first I check the power to make sure it's OK

Bushman512000
10-31-2012, 12:49 PM
Well I forgot just 1time drained the water out on the way home.I have a 30 amp hook up on the side of the garage pluged 5er in to unpack and do all the related things after about 1/2 hour I remembered ...oh oh ...to late element was toast..lol ...stuped Bushman now a extra job needed doing lol:(:banghead:

adVentureMan
11-01-2012, 05:15 AM
I'm not sure why everyone is turning off the water heater power switch when departing and arriving... there is no AC power applied when you are travelling so it doesn't matter what position the switch is in. When I depart I turn off the breaker at the pedestal, remove my shore power cord, and do the reverse when I arrive. There's no need to turn the water heater on and off as a separate operation.

Those who control AC (shore power) to the water heater do so only when they are at a campground. Most probably don't use any heating source to the HWH while on the road, as it stay pretty warm if you want to wash your hands or whatever on the road. Or, if they think more heat is needed on the road, they'd activate the DSI and heat the HWH with propane.

I cannot speak for everyone, but I secure AC power to the HWH by using the ON/OFF switch (could also use the CB for the HWH) for one reason: to be sure there is no power to the HWH UNTIL I"VE VERIFIED THE HOT WATER TANK IS FULL of water!:cool: You only have to apply electrical power to an empty hot water tank once to help you remember those heating elements are expensive!:eek: On my "setting up camp" mental checklist is the step, "turn on hot water faucet to verify water flow before applying power to the HWH". See Bushman's post above.......

suza
06-01-2013, 02:07 PM

Phil

Ditto on the free standing table. I wedge a pillow between the chair backs and wrap the supplied strap around the four inner legs of the chairs and the table pedestal, mainly to keep them from tipping over. I also think you could turn the chairs with the backs toward the table (put something between the table and chair backs to protect them) and wrap the strap around the chair backs.