PDA

View Full Version : A Blast of Hot Water

Jim and Mary
10-14-2012, 03:32 PM
When I take a shower and turn off the water flow at the shower head, then turn it back on, I receive a blast of hot ( very hot ) water. Within 2-3 seconds the temp. will return to normal. Are there check valves that can be installed in the water lines that will keep the hot water from, I assume , backing up into the cold water line. Where would the best place be to install a check valve? Maybe in the cold water line close to the faucet?

Thanks, Jim

Ruffus
10-14-2012, 03:50 PM
Hey Jim, count your blessings, mine does just the opposite, a blast of cold then normal. I just put my wash rag in the nozzle and go on. Hey it's camping, everything can't be perfect.
"bouncey:

hankpage
10-14-2012, 03:55 PM
The check valve in the water heater is the culprit. This happens with the use of a single valve water heater bypass. Installing a second valve at the W/H will stop it. I get just the opposite (Burst of cold) which we can deal with so I never went back to the two valve system. Others may have different suggestions or you can borrow Jim's wash rag, Hank

Festus2
10-14-2012, 04:03 PM
The Oxygenic's website explanation of what your are experiencing goes something like this ..... When you shut off flow of water, the hot water "migrates" to the end of the shower hose and builds up there. When you resume showering and open the shut-off valve, the hot water comes out first, followed by the colder water.
That is why they do not recommend installing a one simple shut-off valve in the system. (Oxygenics, BTW, manufactures and sells shower heads for RV's).

A note to Hankpage ..... This time, Oxygenics made me say that, not the Devil.

Jim and Mary
10-14-2012, 04:29 PM
This an older trailer that does not have a water heater bypass.

Thanks, Jim

Jim and Mary
10-14-2012, 04:32 PM
Ruffus---

The cold water wouldn't bother me, I'm used to cold showers!!

Thanks, Jim