PDA

View Full Version : Winterizing our RV

carol b
10-13-2012, 08:02 AM
We have 2011 Cougar 24RKS travel trailer. The manual shows NOTHING about the proper process for "winterizing" with r.v. anti-freeze. HELP. Can anyone tell me how to winterize it.

Javi
10-13-2012, 08:17 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkiToSzzuII

jbsmith
10-13-2012, 08:40 AM
Most RV dealers offer free winterization classes.

1. Open the low point drains and drain as much water out of the lines. Replace the caps.

2. Turn the bypass valve on the back of the hot water heater and then remove the water heater drain plug. Suggest using a hand held suction pump to draw out remaining water in the bottom of the tank.

3. Using an air compressor and a nipple attachment on the city water port (available just about anywhere that sells RV supplies) blow out the lines. Start at the point highest/farthest away. It helps to have someone assist with this. Keep the air pressure around 40 psi. Alternate hot and cold for each fixture and don't forget the toilet. Last step is to open the low point and blow the rest of the water out.

4. Install a winterization kit/bypass valve on the input side of your water pump. Alternative is to use a hand pump connected through the city water port.

5. Depending on your trailer, you'll need about 3 gallons of anti-freeze. Insert the draw tube from either the winterization kit or from the hand pump into the first gallon of anti-freeze. Flip on the pump and let it draw the fluid into the system. Again, it helps to have help.

6. Go to each fixture, again highest/farthest and alternate between the hot and cold until it you get anti-freeze. Don't forget the toilet, shower, and outside shower, etc. I try to collect the fluid in an empty jug. Obviously, you'll need to replace the bottles as they empty. I also use a screwdriver to carefully push open the city water port. The last step is to open each low point until anti-freeze comes out. Close everyone up and your done.

7. Now take any left over anti-freeze, e.g. what I collected in the extra bottles and pour it into each sink trap and enough down the drain to put about 1/4 to 1/2 gallon in the grey and black tanks. I'll also briefly open the black and grey water waste valves to get some anti-freeze in there too. Don't forget the galley tank if equipped.

Some folks just pour antifreeze into the fresh water tank and suck it out...but IMO that's using too much chemical and requires a lot more effort to flush out.

I think I hit on everything...I'm sure others will chime in if I missed a step or give you some other ways to winterize using anti-freeze.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Festus2
10-13-2012, 08:42 AM
carol b -
Welcome to the forum. I would suggest that you use our forum search feature which will provide you with numerous posts and threads about RV winterizing. Just type in "winterizing" in the search box. You can also do a Google search of this same topic by entering RV Winterizing or How to Winterize an RV.
This question has been asked many times on the forum before and there is an abundance of "how to" information and tips that are already here for you. Using our search feature and locating these posts and threads should provide you with the answers you are looking for.

camper 2010
10-13-2012, 09:09 AM
You can go to the Keystone web site keystonerv.com there you can find a video on how to winterize your RV.