PDA

View Full Version : Replying to old threads/posts

CUFFS054
10-12-2012, 03:29 PM
This site is so useful it has really helped me with my first RV experience. I have gone back in some of the forums and replied to older threads/posts. I guess I thought that would bounce them up to the top of the forum again. Is there a setting/option that I can switch on to make that happen?
tom

Festus2
10-12-2012, 03:44 PM
CUFFS054 -
Unfortunately, a reply to an old post or thread remains "old" and cannot be moved so that it appears current or "the top of the forum". Sorry, but "old" still stays "old". All you are doing is adding something new to an old post and in that sense it does become current or new.

SAD
10-12-2012, 04:06 PM
Perhaps I don't follow the original posters question.... But if you reply to old thread X in sub-forum Y, that thread X will be bumped to the top of the listing for forum Y since by default, forum Y is sorted in reverse order by last modified.

Same holds true for the quick link "today's posts" - which crosses all sub-forums.

Am I misunderstanding what you're asking?

CUFFS054
10-12-2012, 04:59 PM
SAD,
If I go to page X of a thread that may not have had activity for the last X months/years and post a reply it doesn't seem to reactivate the thread. Sometimes I have a newbie ? that relates to an old thread and I don't want to start another thread. (I think)

Courtland
10-12-2012, 08:10 PM
Do you have a specific thread you are speaking of that I could look at? If you open the post/thread you are talking about, you can then copy the link in the address bar and either paste that in this topic or PM it to me.

The forum should bring the thread back to the top once it has a new post in it. I just tested this by posting a reply in a really old thread from bennydog where the last post was on 7-16-2009 and it is now listed at the top of the technical support forum. This is how it should work and if it isn't I need to look into it.

Here is the thread (http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=248)

Here is the forum (http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=66)

Courtland

CUFFS054
10-13-2012, 02:05 PM
Courtland, I'm beginning to think I was having a brain fart! The forum replys appear to do just as you described. Thank you for checking (and correcting me) it out. Love this place!

Courtland
10-13-2012, 04:01 PM
No problem, glad its working as expected.

fla-gypsy
10-13-2012, 05:17 PM
What I have taken to doing is using the "New Posts" button on the header. Doing this captures all new threads but all new posts to old threads also.

lorax614
10-14-2012, 10:22 AM
Sometimes the New Posts button tells me there are no new post when there clearly are, as found out by looking in each sub forum. Slightly annoying but not a big deal on such a great forum.:)