PDA

View Full Version : Slide hitch?

T-Bone
10-12-2012, 02:09 PM
Just moving from the pull TH to the Fuzion TH, with the short box Mega cab is it really needed to have an auto slide 5th hitch? Maybe its an easy question to answer but this will be my first 5th Wheel

mhs4771
10-12-2012, 03:04 PM
If all camping was done in a perfect world the answer would be NO, but since the world isn't perfect and all camp site are not perfectly level you still run a risk of 5er/rear window contact. The new front caps on most units helps, but if you're trying to get into that perfect spot and you need to jack knife real tight, if the 5er rocks one way while the TV rocks the other you may hear the pop of the rear window. If you have lots of eyes you can depend on and really watch what you're doing you may be ok, it's your rig and TV.

jsmith948
10-13-2012, 05:54 AM
X2 on the above post. It will only take ONE TIME getting a little too close to ruin your day. Since the owners of toy haulers tend to camp in unimproved CG/spots, not being able to slide the hitch would be a real worry for me. We get by with a manual slider, but if you can afford a Super-Glide, go for it:)

poochy
10-13-2012, 02:58 PM
our dealer cw told us on our 2011 fuzion 302 te lll they redesigned the nose so slider not needed and second trip out had to park in a congested spot with lots of other cars trucks rv's ect and while turning very slowly to the left watching the back of 5er boom truck meets camper missed the back window on 2010 dodge 2500 mega short box by 1/4 in nice 1800.00 dent so my advice is spend the extra 450.00 with no worries happy camping butch:):)

Snappy2265
10-13-2012, 03:39 PM
Depending on the standard hitch on your TH a super glide is a must. Pulling a Raptor 3812 w/ a F350 super crew w/short box. Raptor has medium extended hitch w/ 3000lb hitch weight, long extended pin box not recommended. Glad I had it in Eureka Springs Ar. Had a campsight w/ a 90 degree turn in and out w/ dropoff on both sides. Missed the cab by 2 inches. Never would have done it without.

35mastr
10-20-2012, 06:29 AM
When I was looking for a hitch. I figured the damage to the truck when it did happen was worth Buying the Pullrite Superglide.

Azdryheat
10-30-2012, 10:10 AM
I have a sliding hitch but have yet to use it and I've been in some tight spots. Better to have it, though.

Outbackmel
10-30-2012, 12:23 PM
Pull our 36 ft Outback 5er with a short bed Dodge 2500 Mega Cab. As stated before, only used a slider 2 x and by choice ( comfort of knowing ). It was absolutely no problem to stop and pull the slider arm. In both cases it was tight parking that dictated the pull.

Last winter across the US from GA to AZ and all southern states going and mid west returning. Never, not once ever needing a slide pull...nada.

Even in very tight ole Memphis through downtown unit performed perfectly. I have a Curt with manual slide.

Having said that, let me say that is "our choice" and everyone needs to be informed and make their decision. I applaud those who ask for opinions. I always do. Many times it changes my direction of choice. There are some VERY experienced RV folks on this forum.

Jim W
10-31-2012, 06:29 AM
T-Bone,
I see that you are a new poster on this site but I would suggest that you also learn to use the search function. This question has been asked so many times by newbie’s and many of us have answered this question for them.
Here is one link to you question on this same subject.
http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5186&highlight=Sliding+hitch
Jim W.

Family_5ers
01-02-2013, 06:20 AM
In five years we've only used ours once, but that one time made us a really glad we had it. There is no other way we could've gotten in the very funky campsite we were assigned (and the park was full).

Terry W.
01-02-2013, 07:14 AM
Here's my two cents worth I have never needed the slide in aft while towing thru town. Now every time I stop to check into a campground I slide it aft and back into tow position when leaving campground. It is just a comfort thing with me know I have the room if needed