PDA

View Full Version : My First Mods

ThePressureIsOn
10-11-2012, 09:03 AM
I am having so much fun! The weak dinette seat back was the first mod. A 3/4 by 3/4 steel angle iron was used to strengthen it, (thank you boytimme). The DW picked out the bathroom towel bars, etc. I installed them with rubber well nuts. Next came the TP holder, I installed it with button head bolts under the shelf on the vanity. The button head bolts allow for a clean looking shelf. Next came a key holder next to the door and lastly a water filter, we hate buying filtered water.

audio1der
10-11-2012, 10:07 AM
Thanks for sharing, esp. the pics! Will have to keep an eye on our seat back, and the tips for moutning the towel bar/tp roll holder are much appreciated.

Jay D
10-11-2012, 11:13 AM
When u mounted the towel bars and key holder did u screw into a stud or use some kind of anchor? Thank u for the reply

Ruffus
10-11-2012, 11:29 AM
Hey Bob
Please tell me that the blue thing to the left of the toilet paper roll isn't your toilet?? Please tell me that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:rofl::bm:

ThePressureIsOn
10-11-2012, 12:08 PM
Jay D,

Of all of the holes that I drilled, none of them hit a stud except for the bathroom robe hook. I just exchanged my hook for the one that was already installed in a stud. For all of the other holes I used 6/32 rubber well nuts as anchors. This size well nut requires a 5/16 hole, which seems large, but they work well and are removable. Just start with a small drill bit, get a feel of what is behind the panel, a small hole can be hidden if needed. Then increase the drill bit size a little at a time. If you start with a 5/16 bit there will be an ugly hole in the panel, don't ask me how I know this.:)

For the key holder I first removed the control panel, above the installed location, to see if wires were run down the wall. Most of the wires run through the ceiling so I was safe drilling holes in that part of the wall.

Ruffus,

That is my toilet....but I have this huge 30 gal trash receptacle right in front of it!:D

Jay D
10-11-2012, 03:26 PM
Thanks Bob. I will have to look into them. I really like the key holder. Are the anchoress the blue or red plastic ones? Do u have the name of the ones u used? Thanks again. Great job looks real nice.

ThePressureIsOn
10-11-2012, 05:10 PM
Jay D,

The key holder is a cheapy from Menards made of MDF. The anchors are neither red or blue. They are black and made our of rubber. I don't know how to add a link to them, so just google (Pop well-nut, #57205). Hope that this helps.

Jay D
10-12-2012, 05:15 AM
Great Thanks, Bob

eanddrice
10-12-2012, 11:11 AM
Hey Bob,
(tx) Thanks for the pic of the water filter. I had already been thinking about putting one in. We have that same faucet in our Passport! The hot water handle broke off the first day we had it. Nothing a tap and a screw wasn't able to repair.

ThePressureIsOn
10-18-2012, 07:46 AM
The bathroom closet really needed more shelving. Thanks kevin 46, of this forum, for his example for the shelving. Like kevin 46, I used cherry laminate flooring for our shelves. I had a piece of aspen lying around so I used that for the braces and stained them cherry to match. I had to relocate one door latch so have a few holes to fill. Removing the doors to the bathroom linen closet made the work a whole bunch easier. We fold most of our clothes, so I removed the hanger rods in the closets next to the bed and installed shelves there also. We do have one closet, next to the couch, that has a hanger rod to hang up what few clothes we don't fold.

Overall I, and especially the DW, are very pleased with the look and convenience of the added shelves.

I love this place!:D

azlee56
10-18-2012, 09:09 AM
nice! I am glad I don't fold all the clothes. I fold and they get wrinkled. ugggg, I'll learn when I get older. :-)

ThePressureIsOn
11-01-2012, 04:40 PM
The storage cabinets over our couch on our 248RKS are huge and deep. But the DW couldn't find anything in them without removing everything and the cabinets are over 5 foot from the floor so it's not easy to see what's in them.

I found these sliding wire baskets, made by ClosetMaid, at Home Depot and installed them today. They are 20 inches deep, 11 inches wide, 5 1/2 inches high and cost $23 each. Because they are made of wire the DW can see what's in them. The cabinets are 23 inches deep so there is some wasted space behind them, but the baskets offer so much more convenience. The opening of the cabinet is 22 inches wide, so it's a tight fit to install two baskets. I only ordered two to see if they would work, but the DW loves them and said that she wants wire baskets installed in all three of the cabinets. She also wants one installed under the sink, left of the pull out drawers.

It's kind of sad to think that our Bullet gets put in storage next Tuesday and won't be played with until the end of March:(

Jay D
11-01-2012, 05:33 PM
Bob,

That's a great mod!!!!
I may have to try something like that in the pantry cabinet, it's about 3' deep and can't reach the back as well. Thank u for the post

wgb1
11-01-2012, 06:28 PM
Thanks Bob. I will have to look into them. I really like the key holder. Are the anchoress the blue or red plastic ones? Do u have the name of the ones u used? Thanks again. Great job looks real nice.

Jay D, Target has the exact same key holder. That is where I got mine. Is identical to the one in the photo. I used Command Strips to put mine up in case I ever want to move it and leave no holes.

eanddrice
11-08-2012, 09:59 AM
"bouncey: Good idea for shelves!! Might have to steal that idea from you!!!:D

ThePressureIsOn
11-08-2012, 01:30 PM
"bouncey: Good idea for shelves!! Might have to steal that idea from you!!!:D

Please do! That is what is so cool about this site. I have used quite a few mods from fellow members.

ClosetMaid has a wider wire basket, it's 14 inches by 20 inches deep. I'm guessing that there are more brands/sizes out there somewhere. We liked the price and quality of these.

boytimme
11-21-2012, 07:12 PM
You're welcome, Pressure! I used aluminum angle, steel's probably stronger. I've also done most of the modifications listed here also. Removed rods and added shelves to the wardrobes next to bed (I added three to each), added shelves to the linen closet, mounted towel bars and TP holder in bathroom. I even added a key hook next to the door! It's amazing how people think alike! I wonder if Keystone is paying attention and maybe will provide these things in the future.
By the way I used plastic drywall anchors for the screw-in items (drilled a small pilot hole first to make sure I wasn't at a wall stud.
One additional change I made was to mount a 6-outlet power strip to the wall just above the counter near the outlet in the galley. Only 2 plugs are not enough and plugging in over head doesn't cut it.

ThePressureIsOn
12-06-2012, 12:23 PM
Great idea of mounting a power strip to the wall. Ours just sets on the counter taking up space with the possibility of getting wet. This will be on my list of mods when we take out of storage in the spring. Thanks, yet again, boytimme for another thoughtful mod.

filmtex
02-19-2013, 01:21 PM
You're welcome, Pressure! I used aluminum angle, steel's probably stronger. I've also done most of the modifications listed here also. Removed rods and added shelves to the wardrobes next to bed (I added three to each), added shelves to the linen closet, mounted towel bars and TP holder in bathroom. I even added a key hook next to the door! It's amazing how people think alike! I wonder if Keystone is paying attention and maybe will provide these things in the future.
By the way I used plastic drywall anchors for the screw-in items (drilled a small pilot hole first to make sure I wasn't at a wall stud.
One additional change I made was to mount a 6-outlet power strip to the wall just above the counter near the outlet in the galley. Only 2 plugs are not enough and plugging in over head doesn't cut it.

That's the first thing we did as well.

boytimme
02-21-2013, 07:37 AM
Next planned mod is to add drawers under dinette seats. We rarely use that area for storage, mainly because its a pain in the butt to remove cushions and raise seat panels to get to it. I plan to cut openings in the ends of the benches and install drawers to provide easy access to that storage.

Comptech
02-21-2013, 11:25 AM
I like the water filter mod, could you send pics on how how you plumbed it in?

ThePressureIsOn
02-22-2013, 06:12 AM
Sorry, the trailer is in storage right now. The water filter kit was made for a RV and came with a shark bite type connector. I cut the cold water inlet pex tubing and installed it at the cut. Hint: Don't forget to fully shove the pex tubing into the shark bite connector, it won't be pretty when you turn the water back on.....don't ask me how I know this.:o

geeman
02-23-2013, 08:03 AM
Do you have to worry about mold in the filter or filter going bad or musty when not in use or under pressure?

ThePressureIsOn
03-31-2013, 11:41 AM
Sorry geeman, I didn't notice your question until today. For the winter, the filter is removed and replaced with a plug. We keep the filter, after draining, in the freezer until the next camping season.

Terry W.
03-31-2013, 12:42 PM
http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=302&pictureid=1517

ThePressureIsOn
03-31-2013, 02:06 PM
boytimme
Next Up...
"Next planned mod is to add drawers under dinette seats. We rarely use that area for storage, mainly because its a pain in the butt to remove cushions and raise seat panels to get to it. I plan to cut openings in the ends of the benches and install drawers to provide easy access to that storage."

boytimme, how is this mod going? It sounds like a great one. I would like to see some pictures. We took our 248RKS out of storage yesterday and I'm ready to do some mods. The first one is the sewer hose holder, next is a water accumulator, then I'm going to install two more of the slide out wire baskets, and who knows after that.

ThePressureIsOn
03-31-2013, 02:09 PM
Terry W, very professional looking mod.....nice!

ThePressureIsOn
04-16-2013, 05:13 PM
First, two more pull out wire baskets for the DW, doesn't she look happy?

Second, I installed a one liter water accumulator within the water pump compartment on our 248RKS. There was plenty of room. I used a 1 X 6 backer board because there was nothing to attach it to except thin paneling. I have yet to test it because it's suppose to get cold here, yet again, in Michigan and don't want the water to freeze.

Lastly, thanks to many on the forum, I installed a sewer hose holder. We've all seen plenty of pictures already so won't be posting any.

geeman
04-17-2013, 09:30 AM
What does the 'acumulator' do? Act as a dampner for the hammer of the pump?

ThePressureIsOn
04-17-2013, 12:28 PM
Yes, and you can run the water without the pump kicking on. I know that when we wash our hands, with little flow, the pump kicks on and off, on and off. Also at night the toilet can be flushed without the pump kicking on and waking the DW up. The pump is right beside her side of the bed in our 248RKS. Did I pick the correct side or what? I also isolated the pipes with insulating pipe foam to, hopefully, quiet the pump.

ThePressureIsOn
04-17-2013, 12:42 PM
Comptech, I took a couple pictures of the water filter mod for you. The first picture is a shark bite type connector. Just cut the cold water pex tubing and insert....all the way! The second picture is where the filter installs. It's on the back side of the cabinet for easy filter change out. This is a plug for winterizing the water lines.

Comptech
04-17-2013, 12:44 PM
Nice... Thanks...

boytimme
04-21-2013, 05:58 PM
Pressure, sorry, I haven't been on here in a while. Drawers are in and I will take some photos tomorrow and post them. Job went well, no problems.

boytimme
04-22-2013, 06:13 AM
Here's the photos of the drawers I added under the dinette benches. The stain color isn't an exact match but looks better than it does in these pics. Also added pictures of shelves I added to the wardrobe cabinets alongside the bed and the power strip I put in the kitchen.

boytimme
04-22-2013, 06:16 AM
Here's a photo of the battery switch I installed outside. The key that operates it is removable so you can "lock" it in the off position.

ThePressureIsOn
04-22-2013, 04:43 PM
Boytimme, Wow, that is exactly what I want to do. Nice work. Say, you really don't live that far away....would you like to do that mod again? All kidding aside, I ordered two of the 14" X 23" cupboard doors and matching handle pulls today. I also ordered two sets of 32" full extension slides, rated at 100 lbs. MISailor, of this forum, is doing the same mod and is going to let me look his over.

Thanks for the pictures. You are making my next few mods way too easy!

Fiver gal
04-23-2013, 06:35 PM
Boytimme, how did you mount the support brackets in the closet shelving? What size screws etc? Looks very nice, great work!

boytimme
04-23-2013, 08:08 PM
Thanks fiver!
I used 3/4" x 3/4" strips and 1 1/4" long drywall type screws. Those screws are kind of "self-tapping". Drilled pilot holes in the strips first.
One note, because of the curved back wall of the wardrobes, make sure the support strips do not go all the way to that back wall. You can then slide the shelves in from underneath and from the back. It can get tricky fitting the shelves in if they're too close together.

Fiver gal
04-24-2013, 07:24 PM
Boytimme, how did you mount the support brackets in the closet shelving? What size screws etc? Looks very nice, great work!

Thanks for such a detailed explanation Mike. Just might be the next thing I try! Appreciate you sharing. Have a great day!(tx)