PDA

View Full Version : Appliance upgrades

CUFFS054
10-09-2012, 05:29 PM
The more time I spend in my 2010 Springdale 291 the more I like it. So much so that I am considering 'full-timing'.
I currently have the Dometic fridge which works fine but CW tells me I can put a bigger Norcold in the same spot or modify the cabinet and put in a BIG Norcold. Has anyone got any thoughts?
Stove also is not my favorite. I have the Atwood 3 burner 22". I actually like the stove top with the exception of the 'power' burner that no longer will lite with the piezo knob and seems to need an air/fuel adj. BUT the oven is a real PIA! I've searched for upgrades but haven't found much. Has anyone come across anything?

Festus2
10-09-2012, 06:19 PM
If you are seriously considering a Norcold, please note that there is currently a recall out on these models of Norcold: 1200, 1201, 1210, 1211. Google "Norcold recall" for more information about this recall.

CUFFS054
10-10-2012, 05:40 AM
Thanks Festus!

JRTJH
10-10-2012, 07:54 AM
Dometic also makes a 7 CU FT that fits in the space of your 6 CU FT refrigerator. And, there is a 9 CU FT that fits the space of the 8 CU FT if you want to remove the cabinet above your current refrigerator to install it. Keep in mind that they (along with Norcold) are all absorption referigerators, so they will all be somewhat "persnickety" when it comes to being fairly level. None are "frost free" so you'll have defrosting on occasion depending largely on the humidity level where you're living.

CUFFS054
10-10-2012, 09:05 AM
JRTJH, thanks for the info. I'm OK with the manual defrost and have no issues with my current Dometic, but some day 'bigger might be better!" I am surprised that on one seems to make a decent propane range for rvs.

JRTJH
10-10-2012, 03:39 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by a "decent propane range" but in the confined space of most RV's, limited pots and pans storage, cramped space for cleanup and that "small referigerator" for storage, I'm not sure that much "gourmet cooking" would get done after the first few attempts even if you could find a gourmet RV range.

The 22" range/oven in your Springdale is pretty much the largest available, except in some of the luxury models. Granted, there is a "hot spot" in most of the ovens and even "burn proof" baking is a problem. This is mainly due to the limited distance from the burner to the baking dish bottom, not from temperature regulation. Many people find a firebrick or a pizza stone placed on the bottom of the oven will shield the heat and help reduce the hot spots.

Anyone who lived in a dorm room during their college days will attest that Ramen noodles and canned spaghetti O's can be cooked in a popcorn popper and cleanup in the shower is not impossible, however trying to bake a Thanksgiving turkey in the toaster oven is a challenge.

RV appliances just aren't designed to replace full size appliances, rather they're a compromise (at best) both is function and in capabilities. With planning and experience, most RV chefs manage some pretty good grub with the limited capabilities. Good luck with your quest to try full timing.

CUFFS054
10-10-2012, 05:09 PM
JRTJH,
You make a valid point. I already have the unglazed tiles and they have helped. My disappointment is that no one makes a unit that offers an alternative to the space wasting burner/broiler setup that is common. I bake far more offen than I broil and the burner really isn't strong enough to do a decent broil anyway.

mikell
10-11-2012, 05:21 AM
Get a small 120 volt for the basement to use when your sitting in the same place for a while. Outdoor stuff outdoors indoor stuff indoors. less than 150$