PDA

View Full Version : Slide Over Ride

Ruffus
10-08-2012, 03:36 PM
My breakfast was interupted this morning by a fellow camper who was frantic because the slide on his Outback wouldn't close. The guy was a pain in the butt all weekend because of his yapping dogs and noisey truck. Anyhow I went to see if I could help. The slide was dead, so I asked where his hand crank was, what hand crank???? After checking the fuses the only thing I could find out of place was his outside scare lights were on and they were all weekend. I told him to turn off his scare lights and vaula, the slide starting working. Is this normal for these units??? Just wondering
:dizzy:

Festus2
10-08-2012, 04:27 PM
Jim -
Since the slide motor requires 12v from a fully-charged battery, I am wondering if, by turning off the scare lights, that this provided the battery with enough "juice" to operate the slide....???? Perhaps his battery was not providing enough voltage/amps to work the slide motor with the lights on???
I don't see how turning the scare lights on or off should have any impact on the slide operation other than what I described above.

DJ85
10-08-2012, 06:36 PM
He probably had one of those rattle trap dodges didn't he? :p

fla-gypsy
10-08-2012, 06:37 PM
Low battery power, turning off the lights helped.

audio1der
10-08-2012, 08:34 PM
Low battery power, turning off the lights helped.
+1.

My FIL had his slide stuck halfway out last week, and still thinks there is something wrong with his slide fuses after plugging into shore power allowed them to slide in.
Explaining how shore power charges differently than charging with a proper battery charger didn't seem to help him. but may help someone like your weekend neighbor :)

AlCorr
10-09-2012, 05:14 AM
He probably had one of those rattle trap dodges didn't he? :p

"bouncey:Com-on,"bouncey: I love my rattle trap Dodge!"bouncey:

jsmith948
10-09-2012, 05:27 AM
I told my brother the reason his dodge is so loud is because it doen't produce enough power to know whether it is running or not"bouncey::D

Sorry, couldn't resist:)

Jim W
10-09-2012, 06:25 AM
I told my brother the reason his dodge is so loud is because it doen't produce enough power to know whether it is running or not"bouncey::D

Sorry, couldn't resist:)

Hey haven’t you heard, “Real trucks rattle”.
I use my truck to annoy campers you stay up all night and party around the camper fire drinking and yelling at 1:00 AM in the morning. I will start my diesel at 7:00 AM or 8:00 AM set it to high idle when quiet time is over and engage the exhaust brake. Nothing like a loud whistle sound in the morning and a RATTLING dieseling engine.
PAY BACK IS H___.
Jim W.

Ruffus
10-09-2012, 09:46 AM
No the guy had a GMC. I was just curious about a possible over ride switch or low battery. He was plugged into shore power all weekend. What made me wonder is there was no clicking or noise of any kind until I had him cut the lights then it went in and it did it fast, not like it would with a low battery. We are camp hosting in North East Georgia mountains until the end of November and any and all camper problems end up on my door step. We had a young family that lost a key to the lower half of their entry door on their Coleman tent trailer and I was worried about the young wife entering and exiting the camper by climbing on to two coolers to retreve items from with in. I was able to open the door for them with a key from my 5ver.
There seems to be things going on all the time and I just like to know how things work just in case it happens again. Thanks for the input all and happy camping.
(tx)

christopherglenn
10-11-2012, 08:36 AM
Maybe the battert disconnect was tripped, and he wasn't charging the battery all weekend. My slide pump is wired directly to the battery, I think the remote box is also wired there. Low voltage on the battery (with the load from the lights) may cause the controler to not attempt to run the pump, until the voltage gets above a certain point (like the battery recovering when the lights are off).

Ruffus
10-11-2012, 11:14 AM
From what I am reading, there is not a slide over ride switch built into the the outback TT. The battery must have been low and turning off the lights gave the slide enough juice to work. Thank you all for your responces. The main thing is the guy and his dogs were a pain in the A-- and by getting his slide in he left the campground, happy camping for the rest of us!!!!!
:party: