PDA

View Full Version : roof vents

kiwi2000
10-03-2012, 04:34 AM
Do people leave the roof vents open or closed over the winter?
I have the vent covers as well.
On one hand leaving the vents open will draw out any moisture on the other it might add moisture to the air.

We attended a winterizing seminar now we are even more confused about the process. I decided to let the dealer winterize this year.
(Maybe that is why they offer the seminar?)

This is our first year of ownership and that was just a little too much information.

They talked allot about mice.

Opinions on the roof vents?

rrohrer
10-03-2012, 04:43 AM
i never close mine. have maxxair covers

hankpage
10-03-2012, 05:09 AM
X2 ..... I only close mine while traveling so road dust does not get pulled in. I also leave one window (awning type) slightly open to increase circulation. Been doing this for many years with no problem with moisture and I live close to the ocean.

SAABDOCTOR
10-03-2012, 06:13 AM
X3 NOT sure the vents will close:D and i also leave one window open just a bit:)

Festus2
10-03-2012, 06:20 AM
Might as well add one more "X".

Clanton24v
10-03-2012, 06:44 AM
Yep mine stay open also

brunocougar
10-03-2012, 09:17 AM
We leave both open year round

SLIMSHADIE
10-03-2012, 12:15 PM
Leave open all year,too

Mighty Ming
10-03-2012, 12:25 PM
Live on the coast as well and all vents are open 24/7. Along with a window or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

byrdr1
10-03-2012, 12:29 PM
Bathroom vent stays open year round might close it a little more in the winter months just because.

msp2jxr
10-03-2012, 12:52 PM
I had maxx air vents and always left them open year around. Never had any problems. Jay

hoffbrew
10-03-2012, 01:22 PM
Bathroom cracked all the time and others some of the time.

SAD
10-03-2012, 02:00 PM
Open 24x7.... But when not in use, mine is parked inside.

Jim W
10-03-2012, 02:59 PM
I guess that I am the opposite field. I close my vents and windows when in storage. I use a product called Damp-rid for mositor control when in storage. If I left the vents open dirt, snow (in the winter) and small no-seem bugs would enter, thus causing more clean-up work when taking the uniy out of storage. My storage lot is in farm country and when they are farming dirt and other debris are always in the air. I also have vent covers over the roof openings too.
Jim W.

randy69
10-03-2012, 04:05 PM
Always close mine argintina ants (little black ants) They like the condinsation that collects on the roof. Had to spray inside and underneath the rv. At if you have rats they will chew on any cover that has a screen and get inside.
Close the darn thing and be safe.

kiwi2000
10-03-2012, 10:19 PM
Well, the verdict is not unanimous.
I am storing indoors, I have max airs. I think maybe I will leave them open.

Brantlaker
10-04-2012, 03:13 PM
While we are on the subject of roof vents just got "Vent Stik" for that hard to get to vent in the kitchen area the one you need a ladder or a chair to open and close. RVwholesalers.com has the best price I could find

chuck&gail
10-05-2012, 05:22 PM
Mine are closed up tight. Several DampRid containers left inside take care of moisture.

curlyfungirl
10-05-2012, 06:10 PM
We live in Utah. Will that cause a problem with snow getting in? We didnt know that they were supposed to be open all of the time.

rhagfo
10-06-2012, 06:10 AM
I have vent covers also, mine are always open a bit.

parkgirl
10-06-2012, 07:17 AM
Our trailer will be outside in northern Ontario for the winter with lots of snow piling up on it. I'm afraid about the snow melting and getting in even with the max air vent covers. I asked this question on another thread but have no answers yet.

Does anyone leave their vents open when their trailer is outside where there is lots of snow?
Thanks,
parkgirl

JRTJH
10-06-2012, 07:41 AM
Some people will say they leave them open, others will say that they always close them. Either way, once the snow covers the roof vent, it will effectively be closed, so why risk the potential for melting snow to leak into the camper. Since the frozen snow will seal the opening and stop any potential air circulation, might as well just close them and be done with it and not risk the possiblilty of water damage in the spring.

parkgirl
10-06-2012, 09:24 AM
Thank you JRTJH. That's smart thinking. We'll keep them closed.
parkgirl

rrohrer
10-06-2012, 06:29 PM
mine's parked under a roof so snow not an issue for me, but if it wasn't I probably would leave them shut.

dakingsella
10-07-2012, 11:40 AM
Does anyone put dehumidifiers in the RV during the winter? It seems leaving vents open would defeat the purpose. I have a couple of the new rechargeable dehumidifiers that I bought last year. I closed the vents and had to recharge them a couple of times during the winter. I also live in a very damp climate (western Oregon).

Festus2
10-07-2012, 12:50 PM
Dave -
While I don't have a proper dehumidifier, like some others, I use Dri-Air Crystals (or equivalent) to absorb moisture from the air. I place two in the unit, empty and refill them as necessary. In addition, I use a home-made "lightbulb" heater and a small computer fan.
All of my ceiling vents are cracked open as well as a couple of windows. I do cover the RV however and with the MaxxAir Fantastic Fan vents, I am not concerned about rain or snow blowing into the unit.
As you can see from my location, I also live in an area that receives more than its fair share of liquid sunshine and a bit of snow once in a while.
So far, I haven't seen any evidence of mildew, mold or dampness inside the RV.
I think good circulation is an important factor in keep these in check.

mrmojo
05-21-2013, 08:18 PM
We live on the West (wet) coast and we leave ours closed when not in use. Not much snow but lots or rain.

Our trailer will be outside in northern Ontario for the winter with lots of snow piling up on it. I'm afraid about the snow melting and getting in even with the max air vent covers. I asked this question on another thread but have no answers yet.

Does anyone leave their vents open when their trailer is outside where there is lots of snow?
Thanks,
parkgirl

jlarocca
05-30-2013, 07:13 AM
I used to leave mine open all the time but then had a really strong thunderstorm/tornado blow in from the south and it filled my maxxair covers with debris and lots of water got in. It was one of those days when it was raining sideways. Decided it was not worth it after that and left them closed.

Albert
05-30-2013, 07:52 AM
We live in the rainy Pacific Northwest. We store our RV in an enclosed pole barn, keep all windows and vents closed. In the Winter months we run a dehumidifier that is on a timer. We run it for two hours in morning and 2 hours in evening. We also have a small space heater that we set at 40 degrees. In the drier months, we leave a window and vent cracked.