PDA

View Full Version : Annual Service/maintenance

Mac123
09-28-2012, 02:15 PM
I'm new to RV life. We just bought our first TT late this summer. We used it 5times. Now it's time to winterize and put it in storage 'till spring. My question is about annual service and maintenance. I know it's ok for now but when it comes out of storage should it go back to the dealer for maintenance such as brakes, ac, leak tests etc. I know some things I could do myself. What do you experienced RVrs recommend? Does this effect warranties etc.? I want to do what's best to protect my investment. Please advise me, folks.
Thanks,
Kevin

SteveC7010
09-28-2012, 03:07 PM
I'm new to RV life. We just bought our first TT late this summer. We used it 5times. Now it's time to winterize and put it in storage 'till spring. My question is about annual service and maintenance. I know it's ok for now but when it comes out of storage should it go back to the dealer for maintenance such as brakes, ac, leak tests etc. I know some things I could do myself. What do you experienced RVrs recommend? Does this effect warranties etc.? I want to do what's best to protect my investment. Please advise me, folks.
Thanks,
Kevin

Once you have had the trailer for 12 months, the warranty period is pretty much over so you might want to think about what maintenance you'd want to do yourself.

I have always done pretty much everything in the way of routine annual maintenance chores including repacking the bearings and tuning up the brakes. I don't see that changing for another few years.

So, come spring time I will pull the Cougar out of storage and park it here at the house and get to work on pulling the wheels and hubs.

Cleaning out the propane furnace and refrigerator are pretty simple.

Most of the rest is cleaning and inspecting things. I've never had propane systems tested for pressure or leaks by a dealer, preferring to do it myself. Same for the A/C unit.

YMMV.

Mac123
09-28-2012, 05:26 PM
Thank you, Steve

eanddrice
09-29-2012, 11:02 AM
"bouncey: I'm the same way. I really like to do my own maintenance. I guess I'm of the mindset, don't pay anyone to do something that I can do myself. :)