PDA

View Full Version : Oxygen Concentrator user

Marti
09-17-2012, 02:06 PM
Hi, we camp with my elderly dad who uses an oxygen concentrator (supplemental oxygen). I have concerns about using the camper heater when he is camping with us. He sleeps on the bed directly above the furnace. He claims it is not a problem as it is an enclosed flame. I say it is drawing in higher concentration oxygenated air and is a fire hazard. Can any one answer this question?

SteveC7010
09-17-2012, 02:51 PM
Hi, we camp with my elderly dad who uses an oxygen concentrator (supplemental oxygen). I have concerns about using the camper heater when he is camping with us. He sleeps on the bed directly above the furnace. He claims it is not a problem as it is an enclosed flame. I say it is drawing in higher concentration oxygenated air and is a fire hazard. Can any one answer this question?

You need to have windows and/or vents open when using the RV furnace. Otherwise you get a build up of moisture inside that is usually troublesome or worse.

The furnace draws its combustion air from the outside anyway. A slightly higher 02 concentration inside the camper won't create a fire hazard.

Between the ventilation to control humidity and the separation of combustion air and interior air, I don't think you have anything to be concerned with here.

And, just to put your mind at ease, I have been an EMT since the '70's and have never heard of nor experienced fire hazard issues due to slightly higher 02 concentrations in room air.

hankaye
09-17-2012, 03:18 PM
Marti, Howdy;

Welcome to the Forum ...
I have COPD, I use a concentrater, and a c-pap, I also
LIVE in an RV. They (the VA and the Oxygen provider),
wouldn't allow me to use a concentrator if it wasn't safe
to do so. My concentrator is in my bedroom next to my bed.
However, the concentrator may be located anywhere else in
the RV to locate it near a 110ac outlet. You do need
to check the poloarity of the outlet to ensure the concentrator isn't
damaged.
So, when 'DAD' is getting some well deserved Z's ... so may you ... :)

hankaye

Marti
09-18-2012, 03:08 PM
I too am a Dinosaur of EMS which is why I guess I had the question. I was thinking higher concentrations and bigger flame, etc. Thanks for the info. It sets my mind at ease that the air is drawn from outside.

Marti
09-18-2012, 03:11 PM
Thank you Hankaye. We have an Ultra Lite...Keystone 280 and while we can't travel far anymore with Dad (although he has been doing well the past year), we still camp locally. He will be 90 next spring. If he still does well, maybe we can take him on an eastern tour. The mountains are out for now. But Maine calls. We are NW Ohioans.

hankaye
09-18-2012, 03:56 PM
Marti, Howdy;

Before I moved to Utah, I lived in SE Ohio (Albany, near Athens),
The only adjustment I had to make was increase the flow rate.
I am presently at or about 6,000 ft Above Sea Level. Back in the
Buckeye I was at 800 ft. ASL.
Seems nothing really happens till around 5,000 ft. and then it 's
not much. I had to increase the flow rate some.
You could, get one of those small inverters that plug-in to a
cigarette lighter or 'power port' and run the concentrater from the TV while
driving. I've done it just to see if it was an option... Worked fine :)
Going over the Apps. to get to the East Coast should prove no problem.

hankaye

lorax614
09-19-2012, 01:35 PM
Thank you Hankaye. We have an Ultra Lite...Keystone 280 and while we can't travel far anymore with Dad (although he has been doing well the past year), we still camp locally. He will be 90 next spring. If he still does well, maybe we can take him on an eastern tour. The mountains are out for now. But Maine calls. We are NW Ohioans.

I've found out over the last 25 years of heading north that when MAINE calls it's best to answer. Something about that state is just good for the soul and body, no matter if your 9 or 90. Head east and north and enjoy, it's almost impossible not to.

travel safe:)

chuck&gail
09-29-2012, 07:57 PM
Been about 100,000 miles with Sequal O2 concentrator. In car while towing, in TT when eating or sleeping. Never had any issues. As said, furnace uses outside air so no problems there.