PDA

View Full Version : Made the leap into a 3/4 ton........ While camping

fireidiot
09-12-2012, 05:12 PM
I had a 1500 Silverado and tried everything I could think of to get a better ride while towing our 29RBK. Nothing worked. So last Friday I was heading to a campground and got a white knuckle ride on the way there. Both hands on the steering wheel and not a pleasant experience. I told my DW that tomorrow we were going to a Ford dealer that was nearby to look. That didn't work out too well, since I found a used 2010 F250 6.4L Crew Cab with 26,000 on it. So Saturday afternoon we pulled back into the campground with a new to me tow vehicle.

The ride home was much much better. I hated having to buy a new truck for a camper that was supposed to be 1/2 ton towable, but I'm glad I made the switch. Now I just need to learn about diesel engines :D

f6bits
09-12-2012, 05:57 PM
That’s how I ended up with my 150. Went down camping with a Grand Cherokee, found a good used F150 and found the return trip stress-free.

Now I want a bigger trailer, and the cycle continues.

fireidiot
09-12-2012, 06:11 PM
That’s how I ended up with my 150. Went down camping with a Grand Cherokee, found a good used F150 and found the return trip stress-free.

Now I want a bigger trailer, and the cycle continues.

I actually drove a Ecoboost with the max tow package, but this truck ensures I don't get two-footitice....... I think. lol

Javi
09-12-2012, 06:32 PM
Exactly how I ended up with the F250 6.7, the 150 just didn't have what it took. I know what you mean about the white knuckle ride.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Ron
09-12-2012, 06:51 PM
Glad you your OK"bouncey: and congradulations on the new TV, some times it takes a wake up call that white knuckle experience before you say I've had enough. You will love the Diesel, we have several of them, actually only one gasser. Enjoy..........Happy Campin..........Ron

Bushman512000
09-12-2012, 10:17 PM
I love the smell of power and the oil in the air good luck with the new TV it will do the job Bushman:D

nano
09-13-2012, 08:58 AM
Congrats on the new truck! We're picking up our new 2012 Dodge 2500 6.7 today. Yay! :)

azlee56
09-13-2012, 10:38 AM
I'm learning diesel too, I guess the biggy is keep it with good/clean oil.

sellis1053
09-13-2012, 11:14 AM
What kind of ride were you experiencing?

fireidiot
09-13-2012, 03:48 PM
What kind of ride were you experiencing?

I was getting a lot of rear end sway. I had an Equalizer brand hitch. Also, I was getting some squat, but I added air bags and readjusted the hitch, but that still didn't work. My camper dealer suggested Load Range E tires, but I couldn't justify 1,500.00 for tires that may or may not work. They also suggested a different hitch (Center Line), but again, there were no guarantees.

On another note, I stopped on they way home and had my father in law help me readjust the hitch for the new truck. WAY DIFFERENT RIDE! "bouncey:

fireidiot
09-13-2012, 03:49 PM
I'm learning diesel too, I guess the biggy is keep it with good/clean oil.

I heard several people have recommended Blackstone to analyze the used oil. I'm still checking into it.

sagebel
09-13-2012, 07:36 PM
I run full synthetic and use Blackstone. Even with the summer towing in the mountains I am up to 10,000 miles. I change the filter every 5k and add about 3 quarts to make up the difference. Last analysis said I could go to 15k. I'm still debating that.

Congrats on the new truck. Drive it. The short trips here and there will cause the emission laden exhaust system to regen more frequently and give you less mileage.

ls1mike
09-13-2012, 09:28 PM
I heard several people have recommended Blackstone to analyze the used oil. I'm still checking into it.

I use Blackstone. I really like them.

Murray0512
09-14-2012, 01:35 AM
Congrats on the truck! 3/4 ton or bigger only way to go even if they say is 1/2 towable
Oil I use oil recommended by dodge, Have 2003 63000 miles I change oil and rotate tires every 6-7000 miles haven't had any problems
Hitches sometimes going up a link will do wonders.
Tires to me the thicker the side wall rating the better. I went 5th a few years back. It would have be a really sweet deal for me to go back to tow behind

rhagfo
09-18-2012, 06:20 AM
I had a 1500 Silverado and tried everything I could think of to get a better ride while towing our 29RBK. Nothing worked. So last Friday I was heading to a campground and got a white knuckle ride on the way there. Both hands on the steering wheel and not a pleasant experience. I told my DW that tomorrow we were going to a Ford dealer that was nearby to look. That didn't work out too well, since I found a used 2010 F250 6.4L Crew Cab with 26,000 on it. So Saturday afternoon we pulled back into the campground with a new to me tow vehicle.

The ride home was much much better. I hated having to buy a new truck for a camper that was supposed to be 1/2 ton towable, but I'm glad I made the switch. Now I just need to learn about diesel engines :D

Congratulations on the new TV, hoping you had done some research before the buy.

mhs4771
09-18-2012, 06:56 AM
One of the biggest things you have to watch with a Diesel is Fuel. Stay away from the small stations that sell only a few gals of Diesel per week, look for where the Construction guys fuel up their trucks, you want a place that has a good turnover rate. One tank of bad fuel (ie more water than fuel) can cost you BIG Bucks.

GMcKenzie
09-18-2012, 02:29 PM
One of the biggest things you have to watch with a Diesel is Fuel. Stay away from the small stations that sell only a few gals of Diesel per week, look for where the Construction guys fuel up their trucks, you want a place that has a good turnover rate. One tank of bad fuel (ie more water than fuel) can cost you BIG Bucks.

^^^^^^^^THIS

I used to fill up where all the city trucks fill, but they seemed to have picked a different station (not sure which one) so I go a little out of my way to another one.

Bad fuel will be your worst nightmare (except for filling with gas by accident one day).

fireidiot
09-18-2012, 03:04 PM
Yes, I have been doing a bunch of research on diesel engine. In fact, I was prepared for the maintenance on it. I bought an extended warranty (until 101,000 miles) because I heard 1 major repair would pay for itself. I am hoping not to go down that road. I noticed an issue with not getting enough fuel out of the fuel/water separator and the dealer is going to do that maintenance for me this week. I have heard horror stories, but also my in-laws own all diesel trucks. So with their assistance (and the helpfulness of forums like this) I am hoping for trouble free ownership.

billstuart
09-18-2012, 05:18 PM
Sounds to me like it worked out really well. You'll be happy with your F250.

Happy trails,

muddynoll
09-21-2012, 09:25 AM
Congrats. I made the same move in March to an F 350 Diesel.What a difference. You'll love the Diesel. I switched to a Reese Dual cam too.Tows strong and straight now.

Azdryheat
09-24-2012, 07:48 PM
My Duramax is wonderful. When we got the Everest I installed Firestone airbags on the rear axle and keep the pressure around 60 psi. It really stabilizes the ride.

For Diesels, keep an eye on your fuel filter. I change mine every 20,000 miles. They also like lower RPM's than gas engines. Mine makes max torque at 1800 rpm and max HP at 2500 rpm (I think).

I run Shell Rotella T6 full-synthetic oil with great success. The nature of Diesel engines is the oil is always black and always looks like it needs to be changed. I change mine at 5,000 miles. Can't speak for your Ford but my Duramax uses 10 quarts to change the oil so be prepared for that.

Your Diesel is going to pull like nothing you've ever had before. Have fun.

audio1der
10-05-2012, 05:44 PM
Nice upgrade!
I really laboured over moving up to the 2500 (still with Hemi), but as a replacement for our minivan and maybe a half-dozen camping trips a year we'll find a way to make it work.