PDA

View Full Version : Black tank level indicators

28Bunkhouse
09-04-2012, 12:45 PM
:confused: I am having a problem getting accurate readings from my black tank. I dumped my tank and cleaned it at the Sani-dump and the indicator showed empty. I checked again while at home and it sdaws 2/3 full????. Does anyone know what keystone used for level switches? Are they mechanical or electric sensors?

2011 keystone
09-04-2012, 12:49 PM
They are electric sensors and at very best unreliable.
You might try a bag of ice in the tank on the next trip maybe it will clean off whatever "crap'' is stuck on the sensor.

Festus2
09-04-2012, 12:50 PM
28Bunkhouse -
There have been numerous posts lately and many more previous posts about this very topic. Please try using the forum search feature as there are a ton of questions and answers already here for you to read about.
Try typing "black tank sensors", or "inaccurate tank readings", "faulty sensors" or something like that in the search box.

Not trying to avoid answering your question or commenting on your concern but it has been asked and answered here many times before.

The sensors are electrical.

hankaye
09-04-2012, 07:03 PM
28Bunkhouse, Howdy;

I've learned to disregard the 'lights', I relied on my senses.
In my travel trailer I could see (literaly), when the black was full.
Now in the 5'er, I can hear the tonal difference when flushing,
The water noise changes pitch when the level covers the down pipe
and makes a more 'hollow' or thinner sound when full. check it out
next time the level gets to the top...
Haven't looked at a gauge in 4 years.

hankaye

28Bunkhouse
09-05-2012, 06:48 AM
Thanks guys, I have read the other posts as suggested. I see I am not alone, will try the "cures" next season as it is time to put the unit to bed for the winter, Time to haul fire wood for the boiler.(tx)