PDA

View Full Version : Double ceiling light lens removal question...

DennisT
09-02-2012, 01:19 PM
I guess I have a fear of breaking things on our, "new used," RL266. One of the double ceiling lights has a bulb out and RnR forgot to replace it. So I'm looking at the white trimmed, double light with single black rocker switch in the center base separater. Oval shaped light, (not squared ends). About 12 or 14 inches long.

I'm trying to figure out how to get one of the lens's off. (sp? - ha) I see two little slots on each side where the clear plastic meets the white base, but if that's a screwdriver blade release, it's pretty snug. But I've been gentle.

I know this is a poor description, but if Keystone used the same ceiling lights for a lot of trailers, then maybe some of you can give me a tip of removal. Ours is a 2009 model.

Feels like a dumb question, but these things look flimsey.

Dennis

JRTJH
09-02-2012, 01:45 PM
Dennis,

The lens should slide AWAY from the center switch about 3/8" to 1/2" and then drop down and away from the fixture. ie: the lens slides to the end of the fixture and then it should drop down.

Hope this helps..

John

DennisT
09-02-2012, 05:05 PM
Thank you, JR. I would never have thought about it sliding off. So you saved me hacking up a lens.

I just pulled the lamp; wedge base but no visible number. Do you know if there is a standard wattage/number etc., so I can look for more?

For the moment, I may not need one because not seeing a break in the filament I checked it with an ohm meter and it's good. So I have a bad socket or weak contacts. I'm going to tension the spring contacts and also try a similar bulb to see if that works.

But I'm on the right track.

Dennis

SteveC7010
09-02-2012, 05:50 PM
Thank you, JR. I would never have thought about it sliding off. So you saved me hacking up a lens.

I just pulled the lamp; wedge base but no visible number. Do you know if there is a standard wattage/number etc., so I can look for more?

For the moment, I may not need one because not seeing a break in the filament I checked it with an ohm meter and it's good. So I have a bad socket or weak contacts. I'm going to tension the spring contacts and also try a similar bulb to see if that works.

But I'm on the right track.

Dennis

The bulb is a 921. It is the industry standard for a wide variety of RV light fixtures.

Lone Ranger
09-03-2012, 02:55 PM
:banghead:How do you remove the outside light lends so u can change the bulb

Terrydactile
09-03-2012, 03:48 PM
:banghead:How do you remove the outside light lends so u can change the bulb

If you are talking about the oval shaped porch light the lens is pried out using a small screw driver. If you are refering to the side markers they just pull off.

DennisT
09-03-2012, 05:40 PM
Terry's comments on lens removals sounds right. The only thing I would add is that I consider most of these lights cheaply made and I always expect to break something, especially fragile locking tabs. I haven't so far; I'm surprised. However I am going to buy a couple replacement lights with bases to keep in my spares box. Apparently a lot of these are made by Bargman, (I think that's right), and cheap to buy. One entire tail light assembly for my 266RL is under $12, including tax. Clearance lights are cheaper yet, so I'll have a couple extra.

Dennis

Bushman512000
09-22-2012, 05:02 AM
The bulbs used in trailers can also be had in different watts by getting low voltage yard light replacement bulbs they are also 12 volt and if You want they come in different colours ...You have a wide range now to pick from...LOL enjoy Your self Bushman :wlcm::D