PDA

View Full Version : Loredo Radio Antenna

oldfrog
08-31-2012, 05:20 AM
My '12 Loredo 266RL has no external AM/FM roof antenna like my former 5er & naturally results in poor reception. Am I missing something or am I expected to connect one myself?

Festus2
08-31-2012, 06:53 AM
oldfrog -
If you were to remove the stereo and/or surrounding access panels, you would most likely find that there is an "external" antenna amongst the bird's nest of wiring. Rather than having the usual one on the roof, there is a stretch of wire attached to the antenna connection on the stereo which acts like an antenna. This wire antenna should, in an ideal setting, be stretched out but it is probably all crinkled up and just shoved in there with the rest of the wiring.
You could go in there, try to find it and rearrange the wires or save yourself from tearing your hair out by leaving it as is.

happytrails
08-31-2012, 12:19 PM
I found mine, coiled up behind the radio. I pulled it out and got better reception, but what I found to be the best for me is to connect my iPod/Pad/Phone up to my radio and use iHeart Radio to listen to my favorite stations WITH NO STATIC. I use it in my truck connected Blue Tooth instead of paying $9/month for XM/Sirius. It doesn't really use up all that much data either.

Good luck with the wire antenna. It's unfortunate that Keystone and others have decided to go this CHEAP route to shave off a couple of bucks for profit. I would have rather paid and extra $20 or $30 for them to have put an antenna on at the factory.

Ayotte
08-31-2012, 06:25 PM
I have a 2012 Cougar xlite 26sab and I also have the same problem. Did the thing with the wire antena but I have found that my radio works fine as long as the camper is not pluged into 110 and the converter is not running. When the converter is running it cuts out most of the stations.

Branky
09-03-2012, 04:20 PM
I have a 2012 Cougar 297RKS and had the same crappy antenna. I got it changed to a external antenna (just inside the warranty period) and the reception improved but it is noisy when plugged in to shore power. I tried adding a noise filter with limited results.
I am going to run seperate and power to the radio direct from the batteries. The batteries should act as a giant capacitor. This is an old trick from my Ham and CB radio days.
...Brent...

Ayotte
09-04-2012, 08:05 PM
If the seperate power lead directly to the battery works, please let us know . I have contacted keystone with no resultes. My dealer has change the converter with no results. Radio works great when not connected to shore power. Has to be the converter but keystone says their new converters produce clean power!