PDA

View Full Version : Plywood dinette benches

monica4patience
08-27-2012, 06:08 PM
The plywood used for the dinette benches is very thin ~1/8". I'm concerned that they'll break, especially with DS20 who weighs 210 lbs and is rather clumsy (plops down on bench rather than easing himself down). Should we consider reinforcing these or replacing with thicker plywood?

I realize that thicker plywood would increase the weight of the trailer, but that is not a concern. We don't plan to travel with it; we'll be seasonal and storing at the campground.

Festus2
08-27-2012, 06:36 PM
Monica -
I wouldn't worry about any increased weight if you should use something "beefier" than 1/8 in ply. You might try 1/2" and see how that works rather than reinforcing the thinner plywood.

Terrydactile
08-28-2012, 03:16 AM
I would give the stock wood a chance first. I weigh a LOT more than 210 and ours holds up well. If you have to replace it, 3/8 or 1/2 plywood should do fine and won't add but a couple pounds in weight.

SteveC7010
08-28-2012, 04:39 AM
This is one of those things we never hear about because it never seems to be a problem. RV manufacturers have been using this material for bench seating for many, many years. I've never heard any issues reported in many years in the RV forums.

But, it's not the thickness of the plywood, it's the bracing and support under it that determine how well it stands up to weight. You might take a peek under the seat and see what the structure looks to be.

If it is the typical dinette booth, the table usually makes it kind of difficult to just plop down with much additional force.

If it worries you that much, beef it up for your own peace of mine.

Javi
08-28-2012, 05:03 AM
If you want to change out the wood I'd not worry too much about the increase in weight for just the seat tops..

A square foot of 1/4" fir plywood weighs about 0.78 pounds. Since 1/2" is twice as thick as 1/4", 1/2" fir plywood weighs twice as much, or 1.56 lbs

There is 32 sqft in a 4x8 sheet of plywood.. so at worst you would increase the weight by

1/4" = 24.96 lbs

1/2" = 49.52 lbs

difference 24.96 lbs if you used an entire sheet of plywood..

SteveC7010
08-28-2012, 05:32 AM
I realize that thicker plywood would increase the weight of the trailer, but that is not a concern. We don't plan to travel with it; we'll be seasonal and storing at the campground.

The OP did say she was not concerned about weight, folks.

Javi
08-28-2012, 05:42 AM
The OP did say she was not concerned about weight, folks.

I read that but the inference to weight seems to contradict the lack of concern... or maybe not.. :D

Seems to me the choices are cut and dried if weight is of no concern... replace it now or wait for it to break and replace it... since I'm inherently lazy in my old age... I'd wait and maybe the next owner will get the opportunity to fix it... "bouncey:

monica4patience
08-28-2012, 07:55 AM
... replace it now or wait for it to break and replace it...

I like your idea...wait for it to break! I do tend to think too far ahead and try to figure out all the "what-if's".

fla-gypsy
08-28-2012, 08:48 AM
I sit on mine a lot and I weigh in at 275. I do not think it is a concern

monica4patience
06-05-2014, 04:01 PM
I read that but the inference to weight seems to contradict the lack of concern... or maybe not.. :D

Seems to me the choices are cut and dried if weight is of no concern... replace it now or wait for it to break and replace it... since I'm inherently lazy in my old age... I'd wait and maybe the next owner will get the opportunity to fix it... "bouncey:

Kinda took your advice....traded in the Outback for a 2014 Passport.