PDA

View Full Version : Fresh water overfill- me bad

natureboy
08-27-2012, 01:13 PM
There is no excuse, except for morning pre-coffee sleepiness, but I left the hose filling the fresh water tank, attached by hose coupler, on my 2011 Copper Canyon 29 FWRET. (I know, it says "gravity fill only.") 20 minutes later I started hearing some creaking below. After shutting off the water at the tap, and unscrewing the "pouring" access port to the fresh water tank, I saw a huge spout of water coming out under pressure, maybe 6-8 gallons. Underneath, there was now a pregnant cow, a bulge of 3 x 4 feet below the tank, which had stretched apart the Arctic package insulation sheathing from its bolts, and exposed the edges mounted on the frame of the coach. The lowest point was now about 5 inches lower than the usual flat surface of the sheathing. The tank is not leaking (except briefly at the water tubing entry on the bottom of the fresh water tank, at the time of the maximum overpressure, as visualized now through an open crack at the underbody sheathing.)

Questions: 1) what to do now? 2) replace tank? 3) leave it alone and use spray styrofoam to seal up the new leaks at the sheathing borders 4) be glad that the "stretched" tank now probably gives me 52 gallons instead of 47?

Thanks for your ideas.

hankaye
08-27-2012, 04:00 PM
natureboy, Howdy;

My question is... why didn't the vent start squirtin' water to help aleive the pressurizing fill the pond all on his own...??? Should have looked like the ststue of the small boy trying to. You may have a pinched tube to the vent.

Man is not designed to multi-task..... Do one thing. Do it well. When your finished, move on to the next project... :rolleyes:

hank

christopherglenn
08-28-2012, 10:23 AM
Mose water hoses 1/2" can put water in faster then the ventpipe 1/4" can get it back out. My trailer says to open the fill cap when filling.