PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Monoxide detector malfunction

nuskovich
08-23-2012, 05:46 AM
2011 Raptor 361LEV...My CO detector is malfunctioning. Battery was repalced twice for past two weeks, unit was reset but begans to chirp after 24 hours, until reset again. Checked wiring to see if it was wired properly and all I see is white wires, white with blue, and white with purple. Not the black, white and red I was expecting. Does anyone have any suggestions or a road map as to understanding the wiring??

JRTJH
08-23-2012, 07:36 AM
If it was working before the "chirping began" it's not the wiring. None of that changed... There's a long history of people stating that the CO detectors have a "time life" issue and after a few years they "just go bad" You may have one of the "shorter life detectors" Maybe just replacing it would be simpler and in the long run, cheaper than the time and frustration of chasing a chirp.....

BigCajun
08-23-2012, 08:01 AM
I've had similar issues, search for other threads on the subject. I did find loose connections in the wall that were cutting power to the detector at times and draining the batteries, then faulting. Ultimately had to obtain a new detector and have not had any issues since. (fingers crossed).

webslave
08-23-2012, 05:37 PM
Most CO detectors (as opposed to LP detectors) in travel trailers are not hardwired into the trailers harness. They are like the smoke detectors, battery powered only (either 9v or AA, depending on model). They are finicky beasts and unreliable in their operation at best. Your best bet, IMHO, is to go to Walmart and buy a new one...unscrew the old one from the wall and screw the new one on.