PDA

View Full Version : TT or Fifth wheel

pjhauk
08-20-2012, 08:10 PM
Am now looking at a Sprinter 255RKS TT and a Copper Canyon 273FWRET. Have a GMC 2500 Duramax diesel TV. Wanted to get a TT because shorter, less expensive and can keep the topper on the TV. However, the Fifth wheel is tempting. Would like some honest evaluation on towing a TT vs, a fifth wheel. What about hooking and unhooking, backing, etc. Important note I am female and would be hooking and unhooking by myself.
Thanks

Festus2
08-20-2012, 08:18 PM
Having towed both, I would highly recommend a 5th wheel. It is easier to maneuver, more stable on the highway - especially in windy conditions - and perhaps slightly easier to hook and unhook. You don't need a lot of muscle to hook and unhook a 5th wheel and any able-bodied woman could do both just as well as a man and probably better than a lot of us old farts on this forum!

You can put a small car top boat on your tow vehicle with a 5th wheel but you will need a specially-built carrier to do that. These carriers can come with electric, remote-controlled winches which makes loading a lot easier.
(You should ignore this --- see post below)

Hope this helps.

KJcachers
08-20-2012, 08:21 PM
I believe the topper in question is a bed cover for the truck.

Festus2
08-20-2012, 08:38 PM
KJcachers -
You'e right ---- I was thinking of a topper as in a small boat topper. That's what happens when you don't think outside of the box.

XLite28SGS
08-21-2012, 02:38 AM
What "Festus" said X2.

We went from a TT to a 5er and were amazed at the difference."bouncey:

Allan

mhs4771
08-21-2012, 05:57 AM
5er hands down. You just back into the king pin which can be seen thru the back window, don't have to get in and our to see how close you are to a ball hitch. We're two traveling females with a 1 ton dually and a 40 foot fiver and spending approx 8 months on the road.

Javi
08-21-2012, 06:00 AM
5'ver "bouncey:

Although I own a TT it was purchased to tow behind a TV that could not accept a 5'er. Had I known that I would soon purchase a larger TV I would have gone to the 5'er. They just flat tow better and are easier to hook up..

Halibutman214
08-21-2012, 06:21 AM
When I went looking I had the same dilemma for the same reasons. Having towed both with a good TV such as you have I just didn't see a significant difference. I have to remind myself I have the TT behind me or I forget. The long and short of it however had little to do with how it towed but more to do with what I wanted to take with me when I went camping and being able to leave my topper, canopy, camper shell, (or whatever they call it in different parts of the country) on my truck made my choice for a TT by far the best one. I can load it up with the big ice chest, wood, chairs or whatever and be comfortable. I also plan on putting a rack on top to haul my small boat up to the lakes. As far as hooking up, it takes very little time and with a couple tricks doesn't take much muscle. I think the hardest part of hooking up is when I remove the hitch (which is pretty heavy)and have to lift it up to the truck but the only time I remove it is when I'm home. My 9 year old daughter is able to hook and unhook the TT with no assistance from me other than backing up. A couple little tricks makes the job much easier. Whatever you choose I think you will be happy but for me the additional room I have in the truck makes the TT a slam dunk.

SAABDOCTOR
08-21-2012, 06:26 AM
HI 5ER My wife has also towed both and has hooked up both. She is a big fan of the 5er tows better hooks up faster and she can do it by herself if she wants to take the camper for a seminar or week long class and i can't get away from work.Good luck with which ever you choose:D

Ron
08-21-2012, 07:14 PM
5ver of course, been pulling gooseneck horse trailers all my life, and now 5vers and definetly the only way to go. Better ride, ease of backing etc."bouncey: Happy Campin...........Ron

msp2jxr
08-22-2012, 02:21 PM
I have pullled both and won't go back to TT.. Much more relaxed driving the 5er. I have to put very little input on the wheel to make corrections. Seems like with the TT you were always making small corrections on the wheel to keep it straight down the road whether you knew it or not. The TT is always working on the very back of the TV while on the 5th wheel it is nearly centered on the truck and I think it gives you a smoother ride.

rhagfo
08-22-2012, 03:29 PM
Am now looking at a Sprinter 255RKS TT and a Copper Canyon 273FWRET. Have a GMC 2500 Duramax diesel TV. Wanted to get a TT because shorter, less expensive and can keep the topper on the TV. However, the Fifth wheel is tempting. Would like some honest evaluation on towing a TT vs, a fifth wheel. What about hooking and unhooking, backing, etc. Important note I am female and would be hooking and unhooking by myself.
Thanks

The 5er is longer, but tows shorter, you have 4' to 7' of extra length with a 5er, tongue and what sits in the bed. Way easier to hook up, in and out of the yard in about 10 minutes, including removing the tire covers.

cathcartww
08-22-2012, 04:37 PM
You already have a great tow vehicle, and I really don't think there is a whole lot of difference in hitching up. If you are by yourself, all you need for a TT is a cheapie backup camera, or one of the magnetic line up devices. I think the most important thing is what else you like to do while youare camping. We travel the coast, and like to surf fish, so we need to stow the rods and fishing gear. We chose a van because we can put 12' surf rods inside without taking them apart, but if we had a pickup, we would definitely want a topper to secure our fishing gear. A properly set up TT/TV with the right hitch tows great. A TT is lower and fits into more campsites. Personally, I think a TT is easier to back up as you can get the back end to swing in a shorter radius. Personally, we don't care for the inside steps in the 5er. And as said, TT's are cheaper. They sell both because different people like different things .....

pjhauk
08-22-2012, 06:07 PM
Thanks to all of you for the great thoughts. As I weigh all issues I am leaning towards the TT; as I would like to keep the bed of my TV free and the topper, (shell) on. My dogs ride inside with me, so I need the back for anything I carry.

drifter101
08-23-2012, 07:33 AM
You might need this site:
http://www.hitchanything.com/

SAABDOCTOR
08-23-2012, 08:25 AM
PJ Enjoy the tt! glad the dogs ride in the cab I get so worried when i see dogs in the bed evn in a crate. esp if they are not tied down. when mine are with us the big one alyeska always wants to drive:eek:

rhagfo
09-02-2012, 03:37 PM
Thanks to all of you for the great thoughts. As I weigh all issues I am leaning towards the TT; as I would like to keep the bed of my TV free and the topper, (shell) on. My dogs ride inside with me, so I need the back for anything I carry.

Well the 5er has a basement most will hold as much as the bed, and the bed is not total useless I have a rail height tool box. If it is stuff you use with the TT, then is always with you.
To those that say a TT is as easy to hook up as a 5er, what dream world are you living in. I will spot your stinger unit in the receiver.
In and out of the storage yard in 10 minutes, including removing the four tire covers.
No bars no chains, no leaver arms, no mirrors or fuzzy balls for alignment, I can see the pin into the hitch! FAR less sway without a sway controller, as it is the position of the pivot point that makes all the difference.
Sorry difference of night and day.
JMO

mhs4771
09-02-2012, 04:44 PM
Russ & Paula,

AMEN, couldn't have said it better myself and we towed 2 different pop-ups, 2 different TT (24' then 30') now 2 different 5ers (34' and now 40'). You could not get us to go back to a TT.

Murray0512
09-14-2012, 06:48 AM
5th wheel all the way easy hook up can see the king pin through back window. Some 5th have mirror type material just use your rear mirror. Have less sway by far and less bounce, get equipment matched you will surprised. Find one of your rv buds who has a 5th sure they give you lots of help maybe even a hook up

Festus2
09-14-2012, 06:53 AM
pjhauk -
Have you made any decision yet? 5th wheel or TT?

SAD
09-14-2012, 09:26 AM
I cannot possibly imaging going back to a travel trailer. 5er all the way!

walker247
09-15-2012, 07:59 PM
We went from a TT to a 5er and were also amazed at the difference. 5th Wheel is definitely the way to go for us... will never go back to TT.

hankaye
09-16-2012, 07:21 AM
Howdy All;

As a 'Fulltimer' I'm now living in a 5th, was living in TT so
my prospective may differ. I'm not continually hooking and
un-hooking. I stay put for months on end. I have had a knee
replacement and the rest of me is getting some 're-conditioning'
surgeries as I move thru my 60's... :rolleyes:
I took the TT for a nice wander a few Summers ago... Central
Utah to Southeast Ohio and back. Had a good hitch (equ-li-zer),
and had zero problems (except for a flat on I-70 15 miles East
of Effingham, Il.), I had to drag the TT to a dump site each week
(for 6 months), and had little difficulty hooking up each time as the
sites were electric only.
Last year I 'upgraded' to the 5er I dwell in now. 3 steps to get into it,
2 steps to get to the bedroom... Stairs are not the knees best friend.
Don't get me wrong ... I enjoy the ease of hooking up, the sure-footedness
while on the road, last year I took the 'long way' to Southern N.M.
and a longish way back to Central Utah. Towed nicely no problems, no
flats...
Think my next (?), will be another TT .... easier on the knees, and more
inside storage. I get tired of going outside to get something that should
be inside then take it outside to put it away again.
Just my thoughts they may or may not apply to your situation.

hankaye