PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Minnesota!

Jean
08-20-2012, 05:45 PM
Looking for some advice on a new tow vehicle. Been camping all my life. Started in a pop up with my parents. Went all over the country. DH and I bought a Hybrid a couple years ago...too small and a pain in the butt to set up...moved up to a 2011 Keystone Passport. Love it but the old Ford is just worn out and no crew cab for the kids...and one big smelly dog :D

volvosweetie
08-20-2012, 06:26 PM
:wlcm: to the forum. Congrats on moving up. The crew cab is important. I know that if you search on the form there is several discussions on just that might be able to find what you what to know and someone will most likely answer you. Good luck and happy camping "bouncey:

TAZ23
08-21-2012, 12:25 AM
Welcome to the forum:)
In my opinion FWIW you cant go wrong with a crew cab. The extra cab room is great.(We moved up from a extended cab to a crew cab this spring and do not regret it.)
We looked at Fords,Dodges,and Chevys and they are all capable trucks.
If you have a vehicle preferance then go with that,or take your time and shop around to find what you really like. Just make sure that you get a big enough motor and the towing package.
Also if you are looking for a half ton PU check the payload sticker on the door of each pick up to make sure it is capable of hauling you and your family and the tt and gear.
Happy Camping

Halibutman214
08-21-2012, 06:42 AM
Welcome to the forum:)
In my opinion FWIW you cant go wrong with a crew cab. The extra cab room is great.(We moved up from a extended cab to a crew cab this spring and do not regret it.)
We looked at Fords,Dodges,and Chevys and they are all capable trucks.
If you have a vehicle preferance then go with that,or take your time and shop around to find what you really like. Just make sure that you get a big enough motor and the towing package.
Also if you are looking for a half ton PU check the payload sticker on the door of each pick up to make sure it is capable of hauling you and your family and the tt and gear.
Happy Camping Ditto on everything except one. I wouldn't even look at a half ton. For me the payload stickers mean little. Sure, the sticker says it will haul whatever weight but does it mention how good it will haul it? I see soooo many half tons out there towing that is an accident waiting to happen. I better also throw in the disclaimer that there are many half tons out there that are suitably matched to a weight they can tow however if your looking for a new TV that you may have for years I would go with a 3/4 ton. Not sure which Passport you have but I might also look at going with a diesel. I love my Dodge but probably not any more than many love their Chevy, Ford or whatever.

Festus2
08-21-2012, 06:50 AM
Jean -
Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you with us.

Note: Members wishing to offer advice re tow vehicle, may want to look at similar question posted by Jean in "Towing and Tow Vehicles" section of the forum.

fla-gypsy
08-21-2012, 12:57 PM
Welcome from Florida. Go ahead and get a 3/4 ton of your choice and be done with it.