PDA

View Full Version : AC not working on Generator

TheLadyFreedom
08-19-2012, 05:12 PM
We just had the trailer out for 3 days last week on Full hook ups, now we're back and while cleaning the trailer on Wed., I had the generator on, battery switch on, but the A/C stubbornly refused to come on in our Fuzion 305. It worked just fine 3 days before! It was miserable in there in this CA heat wave!
Any ideas?(tx):banghead:

Johnnyfry
08-20-2012, 06:04 AM
Your generator probably does not have sufficient capacity to run the A/C?

If you are close enough to a shoreside outlet, that is the way to go.

John

Festus2
08-20-2012, 06:37 AM
Without knowing the wattage output of the generator and the "size" (BTU's) of your A/C, it makes it harder to pinpoint the problem. As stated above, it may be that your generator is just too small to run your A/C. Having said that, it may be barely adequate only if you don't have a number of 110v items running at the same time such as your HW heater, toasters or other appliances. If this was the case, then you may have exceeded the capacity of your generator.
Let us know if you have 1 or 2 A/C's, the BTU of them, and the wattage of your generator.

TheLadyFreedom
08-20-2012, 06:46 AM
Its 15K btus, and when we went to Lucerne Valley in May for 2 days, and 90+ degrees for our shakedown trip, we used the generator for it just fine!
Odd to me, that it would not click on, with water pump, and at most ceiling fan also...

1 A/C, 5500 Onan. Everything is pretty new as we just picked up the trailer in May of this year.

Festus2
08-20-2012, 06:56 AM
You will be good to run your A/C as well as some other 110v stuff with that size of generator - it is quite sufficient. Have you checked for a tripped circuit - blown fuse - in the A/C circuit - starting with the generator?

TheLadyFreedom
08-20-2012, 07:50 AM
I didn't check the generator itself, because it was working, but I did check the breaker panel, and nothing was tripped. Fuses we can check when we go to get ready for our Labor Day trip this week.

randy69
08-20-2012, 10:42 AM
I didn't check the generator itself, because it was working, but I did check the breaker panel, and nothing was tripped. Fuses we can check when we go to get ready for our Labor Day trip this week.

Here is a picture of the breakers on your onan

rs1718
08-21-2012, 03:39 PM
same thing just happened to me, 20 amp breaker for ac was tripped

TheLadyFreedom
08-21-2012, 04:02 PM
(tx)We just found that last night, after testing all the wiring!! If I, myself had known that the genny had breakers, I would've checked them last week! But, I didn't know, and since it was running, I especially didn't think that HALF of it could trip!:banghead::eek:

Festus2
08-21-2012, 04:50 PM
Glad to hear that your problem is solved.